Madeleine Dunkers discussion

Introductions, &c.

Comments (showing 1-50 of 83) (83 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by ATJG (new)

ATJG | 67 comments Mod
I've been meaning to read this for years, and something friend Kyle posted last week set the dominoes tumbling and now here we are.

What's your history with Proust?

message 2: by George (new)

George | 45 comments Hello dunkers. I read Swanns Way last year, and loved it. Look forward to reading and finishing this with a group.

message 3: by ATJG (new)

ATJG | 67 comments Mod
Welcome aboard, George.

message 4: by Allie (new)

Allie (allieberr) | 2 comments Hi new friends! I'm Kyle's lady and I was very excited to hear that we'd be reading Proust. I'm ashamed to say that even as a French-speaker I have not yet read his work. I'll be reading the novel in its original French and comparing the translation with Kyle's English version. If y'all have any questions about the French / translation, let me know! I'm *hoping* to add some insightful commentary about the text from an English and French speaking point of view. Thank you for inviting me into this group!

message 5: by Kyle (new)

Kyle | 10 comments I'm really excited to start. I am hoping - if I can find the time - to type out a short summary every week that you can all add on to or fix, if needed. I think it would help in case anyone feels a little lost (I'm not sure how difficult Proust is in that regard) or if anyone checks out the discussions in the future.

message 6: by W.D. (new)

W.D. Clarke (WDClarke) | 76 comments Mod
Hi there, I am new to Proust and pretty new to French Lit generally (reading Bovary this month as a warm-up!), and got roped into this by Kyle and ATJG as was always looking for an excuse to dunk some madelines!

message 7: by Kyle (new)

Kyle | 10 comments taylor wrote: "Hi new friends! I'm Kyle's lady and I was very excited to hear that we'd be reading Proust. I'm ashamed to say that even as a French-speaker I have not yet read his work. I'll be reading the novel ..."

Hopefully we can find the time to detail any major differences, as I'm sure everyone here would rather be able to read the original!

message 8: by Allie (new)

Allie (allieberr) | 2 comments Yes kyle I hope to read both versions side by side with you and share our findings!

message 9: by Ian (new)

Ian Scuffling (waxingpress) | 4 comments Hi team--I read 1-4 earlier this year, and needed a brief hiatus. But I like the schedule, and am thinking I'll dive back in with you all come January for The Captive & The Fugitive.

message 10: by George (new)

George | 45 comments I think this will be a treat.

message 11: by ATJG (new)

ATJG | 67 comments Mod
@ Taylor: I'm really looking forward to hearing your thoughts on the original. We're lucky to have a French-speaker for this expedition. Very glad to meet you.

@ Kyle: The real-time summary is an excellent idea. I'll add a spot on the group page specifically for it.

@ Ian: Absolutely, friend. Ahoy, from this schooner, gliding past.

@ Everyone: Thanks to each of you for taking part in this. The other day over on Kyle's post that led to all of this, I tossed out the group-read idea on a whim, and now look at us! I'm truly looking forward to going through this masterwork with friends.

message 12: by Mark (new)

Mark André Kyle wrote: "I'm really excited to start. I am hoping - if I can find the time - to type out a short summary every week that you can all add on to or fix, if needed. I think it would help in case anyone feels a..."
Hey Kyle - from my experience Proust takes patience more than anything else. It's not really the story that captivates, but the absolutely brilliant way it is written. (I accept the fact that I have only read Moncrieff's rendition, but it's obvious he had something rather special to work with.) - )

message 13: by Mark (last edited Jul 07, 2017 07:42PM) (new)

Mark André Hi. I'm Mark. I'm a friend of ATJG's. I read somewhere into the middle of the Sweet Cheat Gone about ten years ago. I loved it. Proust for me is one of the most unique of the world's great authors. There seems to always be Proust reads going on somewhere. So it's really cool to be in one right from the start! - )

message 14: by Ian (new)

Ian Scuffling (waxingpress) | 4 comments Mark wrote: "Hi. I'm Mark. I'm a friend of ATJG's. I read somewhere into the middle of the Sweet Cheat Gone about ten years ago. I loved it. Proust for me is one of the most unique of the world's great authors...."

I've never heard of it referred to as The Sweet Cheat Gone, only The Fugitive. What version/translation was that?

message 15: by Mark (last edited Jul 08, 2017 06:01AM) (new)

Mark André Hi Ian - It's a 1934, 2-volume, hard cover, Random House, Moncrieff translation.

message 16: by W.D. (new)

Same as me, Mark! You and I will have the most Joycean reading experience, while the others the most complete/rigorously edited!

message 17: by Mark (new)

Mark André Cool! One of my most favorite words! Joycean ! - )

message 18: by George (new)

George | 45 comments That edition sounds more fun.

message 19: by W.D. (last edited Jul 08, 2017 09:18AM) (new)

Which one will you read, George? I must say I am an endnotes addict, which the 1934 edition does lack...

message 20: by George (new)

George | 45 comments W.D. I have the 6 box set; it rests by my head while I sleep taunting me to read it.

message 21: by ATJG (new)

ATJG | 67 comments Mod
Joyeux anniversaire, M. Proust!

10 July 1871 – 18 November 1922

message 22: by Mark (new)

Mark André Oooooooh! That's pretty cool! - )
Suddenly made my day much more interesting!
Thanks, ATJG.

message 23: by Kyle (new)

Kyle | 10 comments I don't know where I should post this, but does anyone know what the right, unabridged French edition is? I have been looking around, but a lot of them seem too short, and I'l like to get it as a collection for logistical reasons. I'm looking for the newest revision, but I can't seem to find it.

message 24: by ATJG (new)

ATJG | 67 comments Mod
Kyle wrote: "I don't know where I should post this, but does anyone know what the right, unabridged French edition is? I have been looking around, but a lot of them seem too short, and I'l like to get it as a c..."

Might have to wait for payday on this one...

https://www.amazon.com/Recherche-Temp...

Not much cheaper on amazon.fr either, but the edition published by Bibliothèque de la Pléiade is the edition to have. Given the cost, I'd say either inter-library loan this one or settle for the cheap french version.

message 25: by Kyle (new)

Kyle | 10 comments Oh boy. Know of a cheaper version with the same text? That's a little steep.

message 26: by ATJG (new)

ATJG | 67 comments Mod
Kyle wrote: "Oh boy. Know of a cheaper version with the same text? That's a little steep."

That's the only one I happen to know of, and digging around online yields surprisingly little.

I was shocked at the price too...

This edition looks maybe not abominable?

https://www.amazon.com/Cote-Swann-Col...

message 27: by Kyle (new)

Kyle | 10 comments It's so hard to tell. it's only 700 pages, but it says collection. Maybe it's shorter in French? I am so lost, and yeah you're right, google has been little help. Thank you for helping, it's overwhelming with there being so many editions and translations, the waters are muddy.

message 28: by ATJG (new)

ATJG | 67 comments Mod
Kyle wrote: "It's so hard to tell. it's only 700 pages, but it says collection. Maybe it's shorter in French? I am so lost, and yeah you're right, google has been little help. Thank you for helping, it's overwh..."

Well, the last one linked above is just volume one, Swann's Way, but that publisher seems to have the whole series available as individual volumes. Sorry I can't definitively say one way or another, but if it were me, I'd maybe go that route.

message 29: by Kyle (new)

Kyle | 10 comments ATJG wrote: "Kyle wrote: "It's so hard to tell. it's only 700 pages, but it says collection. Maybe it's shorter in French? I am so lost, and yeah you're right, google has been little help. Thank you for helping..."

Oh I see! Thank you so much for your help. I will likely just order that one.

message 30: by W.D. (new)

ATJG, can you find me a copy tranlated into colloquial Basque? I'm willing to pay upwards of 25 bucks, 30 if bound in warm leatherette

message 31: by George (new)

George | 45 comments I love this group already

message 32: by George (new)

George | 45 comments I want the Swahili audiobook, ATG.

message 33: by Mark (new)

Mark André I'm assuming that you chose colloquial Basque over the more formal academic Basque to keep the price more reasonable?

message 34: by W.D. (new)

That and the fact that academic Basque comes off the page rattling like a handful of dried peas in a bladder, while the colloquial swings with the heat of the street!

message 35: by ATJG (new)

ATJG | 67 comments Mod
W.D. wrote: "ATJG, can you find me a copy tranlated into colloquial Basque? I'm willing to pay upwards of 25 bucks, 30 if bound in warm leatherette"

Good news and bad on that front, W.D. The Basque version was made by a semi-literate retired goatherd, and for that reason, it can perhaps be said to be colloquial. It's certainly not the glottal and baroque Basque of the academy. The downside is the goatherd was translating from a waterlogged copy of a the notorious pirate Esperanto edition that began to surface in the street bookstalls of Bilbao in the 1960s. This volume typically goes for in the neighborhood of $12, but I'll sell you my copy rebound in untanned goat hide to honor its translator for a cool $20.

message 36: by ATJG (new)

ATJG | 67 comments Mod
George wrote: "I want the Swahili audiobook, ATG."

This will take some time...

message 37: by Mark (new)

Mark André That was fun! A fitting tribute on the Maestro's birthday! - )

message 38: by George (new)

George | 45 comments Not sure if this is where to put this, nor if you all have seen it, but this is a nice little video about Proust.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9mLdo...

message 39: by W.D. (last edited Jul 13, 2017 09:50AM) (new)

Cool George, love those l'il SoL potted videos, didn't know they had one for Proust. Hopefully we don't have to read the narrator's (Alain de Botton's) How Proust Can Save Your Life though, do we? ;)

message 40: by ATJG (new)

ATJG | 67 comments Mod
W.D. wrote: "Cool George, love those l'il SoL potted videos, didn't know they had one for Proust. Hopefully we don't have to read the narrator's (Alain de Botton's) How Proust Can Save Your Life though, do we? ;)"

Hell no we don't. Alain de Botton is a blight on the mind.

message 41: by W.D. (new)

ATJG wrote: "Good news and bad on that front, W.D. The Basque version was made by a semi-literate retired goatherd, and for that reason, it can perhaps be said to be colloquial. It's certainly not the glottal and baroque Basque of the academy."
How did I miss this? Lay some of that Baroque goat-song on me!

message 42: by ATJG (new)

ATJG | 67 comments Mod
W.D. wrote: "Lay some of that Baroque goat-song on me! "

Hem hem...translating on the fly, here: "Yesteryear I cotted early. Sometimes, the lamp dead, I would find myself in the dark so fast I wouldn't have time to say, 'I am descending.' Later the thinking it was time finally to sleep, this thought would awaken me. "

message 43: by George (new)

George | 45 comments This would be the only thing I would want to supplement with reading ISoLT.

message 44: by Scott (new)

Scott Lupo (ScottLupo) | 7 comments George wrote: "Not sure if this is where to put this, nor if you all have seen it, but this is a nice little video about Proust.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9mLdo..."

The perfect primer for me, thanks. Can't wait to get started.

message 45: by W.D. (new)

ATJG wrote: Hem hem...translating on the fly, here: "Yesteryear I cotted early. Sometimes, the lamp dead, I would find myself in the dark so fast I wou..."
Good work! Now, how about doing it in Irvine Welsh, Edinburgh slang? (Trainspotting style)?

message 46: by ATJG (new)

ATJG | 67 comments Mod
W.D. wrote: "ATJG wrote: Hem hem...translating on the fly, here: "Yesteryear I cotted early. Sometimes, the lamp dead, I would find myself in the dark so fast I wou..."
Good work! Now, how about doing it in Irv..."

"Likesay, fer ah long time Ah went ta bed early. Tha fuckin lamp'd go out afore Ah could tell mahself 'Yer fallin asleep, cunt'."

message 47: by George (new)

George | 45 comments I have to say, if these chats discourage people from the group, then we shan't want them. This is amazing.

message 48: by ATJG (new)

ATJG | 67 comments Mod
George wrote: "I have to say, if these chats discourage people from the group, then we shan't want them. This is amazing."

I have to agree, George. What's a few 4-letter words amongst friends about to voyage 4,421 pages in one another's company?

message 49: by W.D. (new)

ATJG wrote: "What's a few 4-letter words amongst friends about to voyage 4,421 pages in one another's company? "
Um, on top of the "What To Pack Checklist", perhaps?

message 50: by George (new)

George | 45 comments W.D., you should pack a lot of tea and whisk(e)y, or maybe some absinthe. I guess some madeleines as well, for dunking.

« previous 1