The Folly Irregulars discussion

Characters & Stuff (spoilers) > Oh the Places We'll Go! (spoilers)

Comments (showing 1-36 of 36) (36 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Carol. (new)

Carol.  | 386 comments A spot for people to talk about places... have you been there? Would you like to go? Can you actually find it on a map?

message 2: by Margaret (new)

Margaret (MargyW) | 222 comments Buawaaahahahahahahaha. Give me some time and I'll talk your ears off.

message 3: by Lata (new)

Lata | 242 comments Margaret wrote: "Buawaaahahahahahahaha. Give me some time and I'll talk your ears off."

Sounds good to me!

message 4: by Margaret (last edited Jul 09, 2017 03:01PM) (new)

Margaret (MargyW) | 222 comments Russell Square's a good place to start. If you've read Night Witch, then the depiction of the terrace house used for the Folly is pretty accurate. It's on the south side of the square. The actual terraces are all business premises now. I don't think anyone actually lives there.

If any of you have seen the BBC "Sherlock" episode "A Study in Pink" the park in Russell Square is the one that John meets Mike Stamford in. That scene was shot at the north end of the park facing south. Also at the north end is the cafe that Peter eats at in one book.

The park is dominated by the fountain that Ben mentions in one of his books as being designed to wet stray dogs and children.

Managed to find a link that shows the buildings on the south side.

https://www.bedfordestates.com/london...

I know Russell Square pretty well. I stay in a hotel fairly close to it when I visit London. The park is a great place to just sit and relax after a busy day.

message 5: by Lata (new)

Lata | 242 comments This is so neat, Margaret! I love hearing about the real places mentioned in stories.

message 6: by Margaret (new)

Margaret (MargyW) | 222 comments Thanks Lata. Because of where I stay, I am familiar with the little things that Ben mentions, as well as the bigger ones.

message 7: by Carol. (new)

Carol.  | 386 comments Okay, so where's a good area to stay for a newbie? (totally hijacking thread for my own purposes here).

message 8: by Margaret (last edited Jul 09, 2017 03:46PM) (new)

Margaret (MargyW) | 222 comments Depends on how much you want to pay.

I love the Mercure London Bloomsbury. Comfy rooms, excellent breakfast buffet, and the staff are great. Especially the two concierges Carlos and Gilbert.

The hotel is on Southampton Row. You can see Russell Square from the hotel's front steps. About 4 or 5 different bus routes stop outside, and it's a short walk to two different tube stations: Russell Square, and Holborn. Also several of the hop-on, hop-off tourist buses stop nearby, so if you want to do that one day to familiarise yourself, it's not hard to get back to your hotel.

Also tourist wise, both the British Museum and Covent Garden are easy walking distance.

There are plenty of places to eat that aren't too pricey. The pub The Queen's Larder behind the hotel on Queen's Square does a roast beef lunch that is to bloody die for.

As well as supermarkets and pharmacies to pick up anything you may need.

message 9: by Carol. (new)

Carol.  | 386 comments Thanks, Margaret! It must be a good location--a new friend at work went to London earlier this year and was telling me about the wonderful time she had. She stayed in a hostel in the Russell Square area too, and her first mention was that it was close to the British Museum :)

message 10: by Lata (new)

Lata | 242 comments What little I saw of the British Museum was cool!

message 11: by Margaret (new)

Margaret (MargyW) | 222 comments The British Museum is something you need to keep going back to. Trying to do it in one day is impossible. I visit every trip and go to a different area each time. This year it was the Celtic/Anglo-Saxon/Viking treasures.

message 12: by Margaret (new)

Margaret (MargyW) | 222 comments Carol. wrote: "Thanks, Margaret! It must be a good location--a new friend at work went to London earlier this year and was telling me about the wonderful time she had. She stayed in a hostel in the Russell Square..."

There's something like 85 hotels and hostels around Russell Square. There are two universities close by, UCL and King's, and they get a lot of short term visitors.

message 13: by Carol. (new)

Carol.  | 386 comments Ah, interesting!

message 14: by Margaret (new)

Margaret (MargyW) | 222 comments It's set to get even more competitive. A grand old Victorian Hotel is set to reopen September-October this year. It's adding another 373 available rooms to the area.

message 15: by Lata (new)

Lata | 242 comments Margaret wrote: "The British Museum is something you need to keep going back to. Trying to do it in one day is impossible. I visit every trip and go to a different area each time. This year it was the Celtic/Anglo-..."

We had half a day the one time I was in London (many years ago) so we ran around in one section of the British Museum, trying to squeeze as much knowledge into our brains as possible.

message 16: by Carol. (new)

Carol.  | 386 comments Ok, we interrupt this digression to bring a useful link:

Ben's map of RoL:

http://temporarilysignificant.blogspo...

message 17: by Carol. (new)

Carol.  | 386 comments That done, we can go back to talking about London trips. I'm pretending to motivate for a May 2018 one, but am a little scared about being in a tin can airplane that long. Medication will need to be involved.

message 18: by Margaret (new)

Margaret (MargyW) | 222 comments Carol, you'll be fine. I have to fly for 24 hours to get to London, and I survive. :)

Planes are an extremely safe way to travel. You run more risk of being killed by a car than a plane crash.

Motivate for May. Maybe we could meet up. :)

message 19: by Margaret (new)

Margaret (MargyW) | 222 comments Carol. wrote: "Ok, we interrupt this digression to bring a useful link:

Ben's map of RoL:

http://temporarilysignificant.blogspo..."

That is an awesome map. :D

message 20: by Carol. (new)

Carol.  | 386 comments Margaret wrote: "Carol, you'll be fine. I have to fly for 24 hours to get to London, and I survive. :)"

That is sort of encouraging. I can console myself with that. That isn't straight, right? Layovers and such?

message 21: by Margaret (new)

Margaret (MargyW) | 222 comments I usually have about 3 hours on the ground before switching planes. I fly from Melbourne to Abu Dhabi, then from Abu Dhabi to London. Travel time is around 23 hours.

message 22: by Carol. (new)

Carol.  | 386 comments Really, what's taking so long on the invention of the teleporter?

message 23: by Margaret (last edited Jul 12, 2017 06:51PM) (new)

Margaret (MargyW) | 222 comments The airlines are probably supressing the technology.

message 24: by Lata (new)

Lata | 242 comments I'm not crazy about the idea of being disassembled down to molecules (rather Dr. McCoy of me) though intellectually I love the idea of teleporters.

message 25: by Margaret (new)

Margaret (MargyW) | 222 comments The trick with long distance flying is to treat the flight as part of the holiday. Nothing to do, just kick back and relax. Read if you feel like it, listen to music, or watch something. Me, I prefer to sleep my way to the UK.

I fly Etihad who have the best blankets, all snuggly and warm. I wrap myself and sleep, only waking for food.

message 26: by Carol. (new)

Carol.  | 386 comments Well, that sounds nice. I imagine the Kindle will be indispensable.

message 27: by Margaret (new)

Margaret (MargyW) | 222 comments The 24 hours go very quickly.

message 28: by Margaret (new)

Margaret (MargyW) | 222 comments So London 2018 is go. Booked and paid on Friday. :)

Airlines and hotels appear to be having a bums on seats issue. My trip, which is identical flights and length of stay, cost me $500 LESS than this year's trip.

message 29: by Lata (new)

Lata | 242 comments Nice that you saved some $ on next year's trip!

message 30: by Margaret (last edited Sep 17, 2017 04:56PM) (new)

Margaret (MargyW) | 222 comments I just got so freakily lucky that I'm almost convinced someone wants me there at that time.

Friday morning an advert from my travel agent popped up with a massive deal on my favoured airline for the flight schedule I prefer.

Then when I was at the travel agents booking it, a deal on my preferred hotel popped up on my agent's listing as we were talking.

I've not seen the fares advertised since and my agent tells me the hotel deal was offered for only 30 minutes!

message 31: by Carol. (new)

Carol.  | 386 comments Wow, that is a great deal! I put flights down on a kayak update but they've been hanging around US $1400. I was hoping to get vacation committed and then use frequent flier miles :)

message 32: by Margaret (new)

Margaret (MargyW) | 222 comments Yikes! That's dearer than what I would pay normally and I'm a LOT further away!

message 33: by Carol. (new)

Carol.  | 386 comments Yes, which is why I was kind of waiting on frequent flier miles :) But that is so great that you had a great deal just waiting for you on the day you happened to be making plans. Congrats on the find!

message 34: by Margaret (new)

Margaret (MargyW) | 222 comments Thank you. I'm so chuffed to have my trip locked in.

message 35: by Carol. (new)

Carol.  | 386 comments 'Chuffed.'

*giggle

message 36: by Margaret (new)

Margaret (MargyW) | 222 comments Sssshhhhhhh. That's my English heritage peeking out. :D