Psychological Thrillers discussion

BOTM Past to Present > Passing of Betsy Hetzel

Comments (showing 1-13 of 13) (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by stephanie, MOD (new)

stephanie | 919 comments Mod
I was just informed that Betsy Hetzel passed away June 22, 2017....

Betsy Shelly Hetzel, age 76, formerly of Reading, PA, Progress/ Harrisburg, PA, and Pasadena, MD, returned home to State College, PA, March 2013 and died June 22, 2017, at Mount Nittany Medical Center in State College, PA.
Betsy was born in Reading, PA, and raised in Reading and Harrisburg, PA. She was a 1958 graduate of Susquehanna Township High School (Harrisburg, PA) and Gettysburg College, class of 1962 (Gettysburg, PA), where she was a member of Alpha Xi Delta sorority; she was awarded The Order of the Rose for 50-year membership. Gettysburg College meant a lot to her, a proud alumna, and she was the 1962 Class Correspondent for Gettysburg, the alumni magazine, a "job" which she loved. She was also a contributing member of The Cupola Society of donors to the college.
Betsy moved to State College in 1963, was blessed with two children and started teaching English for the State College Area School District at Park Forest Junior High School. She served as Department Chairperson and as Interdisciplinary Team Leader; she retired in 1992 when she moved to Maryland. In Maryland she was a member of the American Association of University Women, tutored at Sylvan Learning Center, was an active member of Book Women, and enjoyed several women's social groups. She returned to State College in March 2013. She joined OLLI, a Penn State life-long learning organization, and Women's Welcome Wagon Lunch Bunch. Betsy loved her retired teachers' book group, and participated in many retired teacher social activities, such as movie and dinner every weekend and Mexican Train Dominoes twice a month, as well as enjoying State College's many cultural activities. She loved live theater, spent 10 seasons at The Stratford Theatre Festival, and was well traveled both in the U.S. and abroad.
She was predeceased by her parents Helen and Clare Shelly and husband Larry Hetzel. Her children and grandchildren were the delights of her life; she loved their 15th birthday trips! She is survived by her daughter Pamela K. Graci, Port Matilda, PA; her son Jeffrey M. Graci and daughter-in-law Karen T. Graci, Charlotte, NC; step daughter and husband Raelani and Russell Marton, Houston, TX; and grandchildren Taylor M. Grossmann, Alden Marton, Heather Graci, Amber Graci, Skylar Hetzel and Hunter Hetzel. She is also survived by a cousin, James Borrell, and his family of Reading, PA.
A Celebration of her Life for family and friends will be held at The Nittany Lion Inn on Friday, June 30 at 2 pm, and a private burial will be held at Laureldale Cemetery, Reading, PA. Memorial contributions may be made to State College PAWS, 1401 Trout Road, State College, PA 16801, but she would be happiest if an act of kindness were performed in her memory. Koch Funeral Home is assisting the family. www.pennlive.com/obits

Published on Pennlive.com and in The Patriot-News on June 27, 2017
Read Less
Listen to Obituary
Betsy Shelly Hetzel, age 76, formerly of Reading, PA, Progress/ Harrisburg, PA, and Pasadena, MD, returned home to State College, PA, March 2013 and died June 22, 2017, at Mount Nittany Medical Center in State College, PA. Betsy was born in Reading, PA, and raised in Reading and Harrisburg, PA. She was a 1958 graduate of Susquehanna Township High School (Harrisburg, PA) and Gettysburg College, class of 1962 (Gettysburg, PA), where she was a member of Alpha Xi Delta sorority; she was awarded The Order of the Rose for 50-year membership. Gettysburg College meant a lot to her, a proud alumna, and she was the 1962 Class Correspondent for Gettysburg, the alumni magazine, a "job" which she loved. She was also a contributing member of The Cupola Society of donors to the college. Betsy moved to State College in 1963, was blessed with two children and started teaching English for the State College Area School District at Park Forest Junior High School. She served as Department Chairperson and as Interdisciplinary Team Leader; she retired in 1992 when she moved to Maryland. In Maryland she was a member of the American Association of University Women, tutored at Sylvan Learning Center, was an active member of Book Women, and enjoyed several women's social groups. She returned to State College in March 2013. She joined OLLI, a Penn State life-long learning organization, and Women's Welcome Wagon Lunch Bunch. Betsy loved her retired teachers' book group, and participated in many retired teacher social activities, such as movie and dinner every weekend and Mexican Train Dominoes twice a month, as well as enjoying State College's many cultural activities. She loved live theater, spent 10 seasons at The Stratford Theatre Festival, and was well traveled both in the U.S. and abroad. She was predeceased by her parents Helen and Clare Shelly and husband Larry Hetzel. Her children and grandchildren were the delights of her life; she loved their 15th birthday trips! She is survived by her daughter Pamela K. Graci, Port Matilda, PA; her son Jeffrey M. Graci and daughter-in-law Karen T. Graci, Charlotte, NC; step daughter and husband Raelani and Russell Marton, Houston, TX; and grandchildren Taylor M. Grossmann, Alden Marton, Heather Graci, Amber Graci, Skylar Hetzel and Hunter Hetzel. She is also survived by a cousin, James Borrell, and his family of Reading, PA. A Celebration of her Life for family and friends will be held at The Nittany Lion Inn on Friday, June 30 at 2 pm, and a private burial will be held at Laureldale Cemetery, Reading, PA. Memorial contributions may be made to State College PAWS, 1401 Trout Road, State College, PA 16801, but she would be happiest if an act of kindness were performed in her memory. Koch Funeral Home is assisting the family. www.pennlive.com/obits Published on Pennlive.com and in The Patriot-News on June 27, 2017 Read Less Listen to Obituary

message 2: by Ruth (new)

Ruth | 524 comments She was so active. She certainly didn't seem her age. One month we were reading a book and she and I disagreed on. She told me we were friends no matter what. She was a good one.

message 3: by stephanie, MOD (new)

She has earned her book wings. Just stunned for a moment.

message 4: by Ruth (new)

Ruth | 524 comments Yeah. Me too

message 5: by Karen B. (new)

Karen B. (raggedy11) I miss her as we were constantly corresponding about what we were reading. She was really looking forward to reading and discussing IT in this group.

message 6: by Jimmie (new)

Jimmie | 187 comments Wow, I'm shocked and sad to hear about the passing of Betsy. I don't know what to say, but I know she had a lot of love for this group. I will make a donation to her college in her honor. I will also keep her family in my thoughts and prayers.

message 7: by Farshana (new)

Farshana | 23 comments Oh.I am so sorry to hear this.

message 8: by stephanie, MOD (new)

I think this hit me hard, because Betsy sent me Christmas Cards and post cards where ever she was . She sent me pictures of her kids and I didn't even know them. I met Betsy here when she sent a note to GR Management telling them about putting me in position to run this group after the original MOD took off without any notice. I wonder about Scarlett, because she was the one who started this group, and I don't know if that was really her name or where she even lived, She hasn't been seen either.
Everyday is not promised to us, this we know. If I don't show up here after a week of MIA, Chris has my real phone number to call. I am pretty sure one of my family members would tell her, also many of you all have a P.O.Box address where I placed on gifts that I sent to you, I am not a person to go missing very long unless I am on a 2 week vacation, which I will tell you all in advance. I was sending messages on a weekly basis to Betsy, and I hope in heaven she got them. She really will be missed here in this group.....

message 9: by Cortez (new)

Cortez III | 27 comments So sorry to read about this. God help her and her family in this time. Thanks for the update everyone.

message 10: by Chris (new)

Chris | 537 comments When Stephanie told me it brought tears to my eyes because we were both wondering what happened to her. I also got Betsy's Christmas letters and we talked about many books. I will definitely miss her input on the discussions especially the questions she raised. My daughter Stephanie is going up to State College next year and I was going to make arrangements to meet my dear friend. She will be missed.

message 11: by stephanie, MOD (last edited Jul 09, 2017 08:45AM) (new)

Hopefully we will be making our book wings as well Chris so that we can read in another group with Betsy down the way......

message 12: by Ruth (new)

Ruth | 524 comments Absolutely. Much agreed. She would send me emails asking if she asked to many questions. I would reply an English teacher asking another English teacher that question. We rolled laughing. That's the Betsy that is in my heart.

message 13: by David (new)

David Jarrett (DavidRJ) | 7 comments I am sorry to hear of Betsy's passing. She was a nice lady, and a very sharp and articulate one.

DRJ