EXO-L Book Club discussion

All the Light We Cannot See
This topic is about All the Light We Cannot See
Monthly Group Read > All the Light We Cannot See by Doerr, Anthony - July 2017 - any genre

Comments (showing 1-12 of 12) (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kathy (new)

Kathy | 80 comments Mod
please read "Group Read Information" for info on how to do "spoiler" tag, how to insert images, simple html...etc

message 2: by M (last edited Jul 17, 2017 04:26PM) (new) - added it

M | 10 comments Sorry I've been MIA, I completely forgot it's my job to lead the group discussion right? I've been a little busy, but I finally sat down and got through a bit of the book and here are some thoughts:
(view spoiler)

message 3: by Kathy (new)

Kathy | 80 comments Mod
i'm halfway through the book

a few things
1. it is so difficult to memorize all the names of characters and places because I'm not French/german..this was why i stop reading 'girl with the dragon tattoo' ..

2. the summary of the book on goodreads is half of the book....

3. slow start..like literally...slooooooooow but it picked up..u just need to get over that slow hump

5. although it is 500+ pages, the chapters are super short! so it's quick
(view spoiler)

message 4: by Kathy (new)

Kathy | 80 comments Mod
Hi Munin! where are you in the book?? like percentage wise...lol!!!

Munin wrote: "Sorry I've been MIA, I completely forgot it's my job to lead the group discussion right? I've been a little busy, but I finally sat down and got through a bit of the book and here are some thoughts..."

message 5: by Alice (new)

Alice | 8 comments I'm about 100 pages into the book. For The Power, I waited until I was finished to comment but I'm gonna try intermediate comments this time. First book club, not sure what to do, lol. Thoughts:

@ Kathy
I also really appreciate the short chapters. Makes things abbreviated, but in a way where I want to keep reading and know more. Also makes it easy to pause whenever I want!

(view spoiler)

message 6: by Kathy (new)

Kathy | 80 comments Mod
i stop reading this at 60% but

(view spoiler)

message 7: by Alice (last edited Jul 28, 2017 12:04PM) (new)

Alice | 8 comments 400 pages in, 100 to go.

-An old woman saw me reading this and told me it's a wonderful book so my expectations jumped lol. Can't say I'm disappointed!
(view spoiler)

message 8: by M (new) - added it

M | 10 comments I've been holding off commenting until I'm done with the book lol!! I'm almost done so I'll come back here soon

message 9: by Alice (new)

Alice | 8 comments Finished a couple days ago! I enjoyed it a lot (:

(view spoiler)

@Kathy
(view spoiler)

message 10: by Daphne (new)

Daphne | 9 comments This book took me 2 weeks to read, partly because I've been busy, but also because it's not appealing enough for me to sit down and read it all in one go, haha :P

(view spoiler)

What are you main takeaways from this book? Somehow I can't really think of much right now. Loyalty and curiousity seems like quite big themes though.

message 11: by Kathy (new)

Kathy | 80 comments Mod
@alice

two my main takeaways from this book was lost and hope

how alice lost her innocent but became something better
how she lost her sight but use it to her advantage and became BETTER
how werner lost his free will...etc

message 12: by Momo (new) - added it

Momo | 24 comments I've read about 1/3 of the book now, and so far I'm loving it!