Play Book Tag discussion

What Alice Forgot
This topic is about What Alice Forgot
July 2017: Other Books > What Alice Forgot by Lianne Moriarty ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️

Comments (showing 1-10 of 10) (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jenni Elyse (last edited Jul 06, 2017 07:25PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jenni Elyse (jenni_elyse) | 894 comments I read What Alice Forgot for my IRL book club and also because it's one of my IRL friend's favorite books.

Basically, Alice hits her head and wakes up thinking it's 10 years earlier than it really is. She doesn't remember anything that has happened since 1998. She's still madly in love with her husband and thinks she's pregnant with her first child. It comes as quite a shock that she's in the middle of a divorce, her first child is almost 10, and she has two other kids.

I haven't stayed up late reading for a very long time. When I'd finish a reading session, I'd want to get right back to the book. I couldn't stop thinking about it. I think I may have even dreamed about it a few times.

I thought Moriarty did such a fantastic job with Alice's memory loss and how it was hard to cope with the person she had become vs. the person she thought she was. It was interesting to see how very real life and all its circumstances changes us and whether that's good, bad, or simply just is. It was very thought-provoking and makes me want to read more of Moriarty's novels.

Trigger warning: If you're dealing with infertility, this book may be very difficult to read as the story shifts between Alice's POV, her older sister's POV (who is struggling with infertility), and her faux-grandmother's POV.

Karin | 3031 comments I will keep this on my tbr. I liked Big Little Lies, but didn't continue with The Husband's Secret.

Jennifer P. Pope (jenjunum) | 942 comments I like her writing a lot. I think she's very perceptive and really 'gets' people. Her characters are always so well told. I enjoyed this one a lot as well but I've read all of hers.

message 4: by Amy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Amy | 3189 comments Like Jennifer I've read all of her books. She and I even share the same favorite. But this one that were commenting on it, while I enjoyed it, was not near my favorite. Maybe it was the content. But I would try a few of her others if you liked this one, Jenni Elyse.

Jenni Elyse (jenni_elyse) | 894 comments Amy wrote: "Like Jennifer I've read all of her books. She and I even share the same favorite. But this one that were commenting on it, while I enjoyed it, was not near my favorite. Maybe it was the content. Bu..."

That's good to know, Amy. I had heard from others that this was their favorite. I'm glad to hear that you liked her others more. :)

message 6: by Joi (new)

Joi (MissJoious) | 1702 comments I didn't actually know what this was about till now. Big Little Lies was a 5 star, but now I'm in the middle of Truly Madly Guilty and it's looking to be more on the 2-3 star level.

Hopefully this one will install some more faith in Moriarty for me.

message 7: by Amy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Amy | 3189 comments Jennifer and I liked the Hypnotist's Love Story. That was my first of hers.

Jennifer P. Pope (jenjunum) | 942 comments Truly Madly Guilty was not a highlight for me. I was surprised because I didn't like her first two books much (Last anniversary & Three Wishes--pretty sure these were her first two). But everything else I liked a lot, Hypnotist being my favorite. I was disappointed that she sort of regressed with this latest one. I really didn't like the end! So sorry if you haven't even gotten there yet Joi! I did really like when she wrote from one of the kid's perspectives. I thought that was cool and well done.

message 9: by Amy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Amy | 3189 comments One of the reasons I appreciated The Last Anniversary, was although the plotline was somewhat silly, and it's not like it's one of her better written or more developed books, but I fell in love with the main character Sophie. In fact, I felt a real kinship to her, kind of like we shared a lot of personality traits, and internal essence. You ever have that feeling that someone is writing a character based off of you? I felt that way quite a lot in this novel. And so I never forgot it. But yes, I wouldn't have considered it one of her better works.

message 10: by Joi (new)

Joi (MissJoious) | 1702 comments Jennifer P. wrote: " I really didn't like the end! So sorry if you haven't even gotten there yet Joi! "

Finally made it to what happened at the "freaking barbecue" 45 chapters in.... anti-climactic. Now I'm just plugging along kind of waiting to finish the book.