2-3-4 Challenge Book Discussions discussion

Nine Dragons (Harry Bosch, #14; Harry Bosch Universe, #20)
This topic is about Nine Dragons
Nine Dragons > Question G

Comments (showing 1-7 of 7) (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Jonetta (Ejaygirl) | 6201 comments Mod
Eleanor blames Harry for Maddie's abduction? Did you understand her point of view? Were you able to understand why she didn't look for Maddie until Harry called with the video?

Lauren (MsThestral) | 1896 comments Eleanor was being her usual bitchy self. While I can understand her initial anger that Harry's case might have resulted in Maggie's abduction, her threats to stop Harry from seeing his daughter were out of line.

She was also a hypocrite considering she was an FBI agent and her job as a professional gambler wasn't exactly above board either.

As to her not looking for Maddie, it did make sense because Maddie had run away before.

From the moment Maddie was born, Eleanor has never done what was best for her daughter. From keeping her from her father for the first four years of her life to moving her to a foreign city like Hong Kong, away from her father and leaving her unsupervised, Eleanor continued to behave selfishly. Her behavior at the airport was selfish. No way would Harry have been able to predict that his normal investigation of a case would lead to his child's abduction. The same could be said for Eleanor's lifestyle.

I'm sorry...my 13-year old daughter is out at 4:00 am? With her resources, she should have had someone looking for her. With all that was going on in that city, I'd have been out of my mind.

Lauren (MsThestral) | 1896 comments As you say, Jonetta, Eleanor was a very selfish and self-absorbed woman. She put her own wishes and needs above those of her daughter, so it isn't surprising that Maddie was pulling away from her and wanted to live with Harry.

Robin (Robinmy) | 949 comments It made me mad when Eleanor blamed Harry for Maddie's abduction. Eleanor was a former FBI agent and knows the drill. And, I didn't understand her not looking for her daughter on her own or calling the police. I don't care that she had run away previously.

This is where I became more convinced that the abduction may have something to do with Eleanor's gambling.

Lauren wrote: "As you say, Jonetta, Eleanor was a very selfish and self-absorbed woman. She put her own wishes and needs above those of her daughter, so it isn't surprising that Maddie was pulling away from her a..."

I know 13-year old angst is a reality. But for a daughter to want to leave her mother, her friends and her life to go with her father smacked of some very serious issues. I recall Maddie saying that Eleanor didn't have time for her as she was more involved with Sun Yee. I wonder if there was even more. For her to fake her abduction was so over the top. Time will tell.

Robin wrote: "It made me mad when Eleanor blamed Harry for Maddie's abduction. Eleanor was a former FBI agent and knows the drill. And, I didn't understand her not looking for her daughter on her own or calling ..."

I agree, Robin.