Flights of Fantasy discussion

Heartless
This topic is about Heartless
Buddy Reads > Heartless by Marissa Meyer

Comments (showing 1-30 of 30) (30 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by colleen the convivial curmudgeon, Not a book hipster! (new) - rated it 3 stars

colleen the convivial curmudgeon (blackrose13) | 2605 comments Planned to start in August.

Anyone free to join in.

message 2: by colleen the convivial curmudgeon, Not a book hipster! (new) - rated it 3 stars

colleen the convivial curmudgeon (blackrose13) | 2605 comments So, I had started this in July and then put it down pending the buddy read... and I picked it back up today.

I'm on chapter 12, I think...

Anyway, I'm liking it so far - though it's definitely YA-romancey, complete with a sort of love triangle. (I don't think that's a spoiler because it's pretty much in the blurb.)

Anyway -

I really like how the aspects of Wonderland are incorporated in the story, but in a really matter-of-fact kind of way. In Alice, you're seeing everything through her eyes and it's all about the oddity of the people and creatures and situations.

But in this, it's entirely about denizens of the world, so it's just part of their normal life, and there's just something really cool about that, for me.

message 3: by MrsJoseph, Bad Girls Deadlift (new)

MrsJoseph | 4760 comments I've been avoiding the wonderland retales because they seem to go in so many directions.

The last one I read - a romance - was so odd and not cool that I'm just pffft.

Jackie (TheNightOwl) | 584 comments I picked this one up as my vacation book. I'm about 70% in, I think (sorry, too lazy to check). Anyway, I'm really enjoying it. More than I thought I would, actually.

Colleen, you mention the "sort of love triangle" - (view spoiler)

I also agree with you on the portrayal of Wonderland. I like that she was able to keep the whimsical aspect of it, but normalize it for the characters so that nothing really appears oddball. I also liked the small nod to Alice.

message 5: by colleen the convivial curmudgeon, Not a book hipster! (new) - rated it 3 stars

colleen the convivial curmudgeon (blackrose13) | 2605 comments Cheater, cheater, pumpkin eater!

The nod to Alice = (view spoiler) :D

message 6: by colleen the convivial curmudgeon, Not a book hipster! (new) - rated it 3 stars

colleen the convivial curmudgeon (blackrose13) | 2605 comments About the king...

I sort of picture him like:

Which is really not helping. LOL

Jackie (TheNightOwl) | 584 comments colleen the convivial curmudgeon wrote: "Cheater, cheater, pumpkin eater!

The nod to Alice = [spoilers removed] :D"

Yes. Just thought it was a cute mention.

OMG, yeah- that is an accurate picture! LOL.

message 8: by colleen the convivial curmudgeon, Not a book hipster! (new) - rated it 3 stars

colleen the convivial curmudgeon (blackrose13) | 2605 comments Jackie wrote: "Yes. Just thought it was a cute mention. "

Yeah, I thought that was cute, too. Just wasn't sure if there was another one later on.

Jackie (TheNightOwl) | 584 comments Colleen, where are you in the book?

I finished it late Friday and was sort of blown away by how it turned out.

message 10: by Dawn, Dawnerys, Mother of Modding (new) - added it

Dawn (breakofdawn) | 860 comments Blown away good or bad? This is up soon on my to read list.

message 11: by colleen the convivial curmudgeon, Not a book hipster! (new) - rated it 3 stars

colleen the convivial curmudgeon (blackrose13) | 2605 comments Jackie wrote: "Colleen, where are you in the book?

I finished it late Friday and was sort of blown away by how it turned out."

This is my gym read, so I'm kinda in the same place I was last time I updated. ;)

Jackie (TheNightOwl) | 584 comments Blown away in terms of it wasn't what I expected, but I liked it.

message 13: by colleen the convivial curmudgeon, Not a book hipster! (new) - rated it 3 stars

colleen the convivial curmudgeon (blackrose13) | 2605 comments You'll be happy to know that I finally decided to bail on Lions, so I'm reading this full time now.

I'm 66% in.

This definitely didn't capture me as much as Cinder did that first time, but I am enjoying it. It seems a bit overlong and repetitive in places. Probably because the main focus is on the love triangle thing and it's just Catherine wavering and being indecisive.

She's rather annoying me, I must admit.

I'm undecided about what I think of this depiction of the Hatter so far... though I think it's growing on me.

I think I know how it ends, so I'm not sure I'm going to be blown away... but I am curious to see what happens.

message 14: by Jackie (last edited Aug 10, 2017 06:48AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Jackie (TheNightOwl) | 584 comments Cinder captured me more, but I do like that she was able to capture the essence of Wonderland and it's characters in this one. That's really what drew me in.

I do agree about the repetitiveness and that Catherine's wavering and indecisiveness is annoying. Can't say I really liked her as a character. I empathized with her (view spoiler)

Hatter grew on me. He was really weird in the beginning, but I understood him by the end and ended up liking him.

I haven't rated the book yet or even put it on my shelf as read, but if I were to rate I would probably go with 3-4 stars. I was blown away in terms of the story taking an unexpected turn for me. It's been awhile since I've read or watched The Looking Glass and Alice in Wonderland and that may have had something to do with it.

message 15: by colleen the convivial curmudgeon, Not a book hipster! (new) - rated it 3 stars

colleen the convivial curmudgeon (blackrose13) | 2605 comments 75% - Well, those last two chapters were something of an emotional roller coaster. Yeesh.

Jackie (TheNightOwl) | 584 comments colleen the convivial curmudgeon wrote: "75% - Well, those last two chapters were something of an emotional roller coaster. Yeesh."

YES!

message 17: by colleen the convivial curmudgeon, Not a book hipster! (new) - rated it 3 stars

colleen the convivial curmudgeon (blackrose13) | 2605 comments Finished.

message 18: by colleen the convivial curmudgeon, Not a book hipster! (new) - rated it 3 stars

colleen the convivial curmudgeon (blackrose13) | 2605 comments I ended up going 3 stars. I feel like it fizzled at the end a bit. I think it might've been better without the prophecy stuff. (view spoiler).

That said, it could be because my reading of the climax was bifurcated, so it could've just been that unfortunate timing on my end.

message 19: by colleen the convivial curmudgeon, Not a book hipster! (new) - rated it 3 stars

colleen the convivial curmudgeon (blackrose13) | 2605 comments I just read this in a review, and it sort of perfectly captures my feelings of the ending:

(view spoiler)

message 20: by colleen the convivial curmudgeon, Not a book hipster! (new) - rated it 3 stars

colleen the convivial curmudgeon (blackrose13) | 2605 comments Also...

Love Triangle AND Insta-Love.

Blech.

I mean, I liked it overall... but it coulda been so much more.

message 21: by MrsJoseph, Bad Girls Deadlift (new)

MrsJoseph | 4760 comments lol

Jackie (TheNightOwl) | 584 comments I was okay with the prophecy stuff, but I agree that (view spoiler)

I didn't really qualify this as a love triangle. (view spoiler)

In regards to the review- (view spoiler)

What did you think of Hatter? You previously said you were on the fence about him.

message 23: by colleen the convivial curmudgeon, Not a book hipster! (new) - rated it 3 stars

colleen the convivial curmudgeon (blackrose13) | 2605 comments I do think the character change was (view spoiler)

I'm torn on the Mary Ann thing. It's tough. (view spoiler)

And I do sort of agree about how it's not entirely a love triangle, but (view spoiler)

I think I ended up liking Hatter. I was a bit surprised by his (view spoiler)

I would like to know more about Cath's history. (view spoiler)

Jackie (TheNightOwl) | 584 comments Yes, your caricature comment is actually on point. (view spoiler)

I had the same question at the end. Definitely would like more of the family history.

Did you read Alice in Wonderland and The Looking Glass? I think I started The Looking Glass and never finished. Anyway, it was awhile ago since I had attempted to read the books or saw the movies, so I didn't remember the politics but I thought the Queen of Hearts was the same thing as the Red Queen. But then I remember in the movie there was the Red Queen vs the White Queen...I don't remember there being a separate queen.

message 25: by colleen the convivial curmudgeon, Not a book hipster! (new) - rated it 3 stars

colleen the convivial curmudgeon (blackrose13) | 2605 comments "I'm not sure why it took her so long to figure it out."

Actually, there was a lot of this in there. And not just from her.

Re: Hatter - (view spoiler)

I did read Alice - but it's been awhile - and I'm not sure if I've read 'Through the Looking Glass' or not. (I think the book I had contained both, so I think I read both, but I really remember very little about it. I remember actually not liking it as much as the movies. (Originally Disney, but I like the Burton movies, too, actually. And I love Syfy's 'Alice', but that's a whole nother kettle of fish... ))

I was confused when they mentioned the Red Queen, too, because I did get it confused with the Queen of Hearts, but apparently the Queen of Hearts is from 'Wonderland' and the Red and White queens are from 'Looking Glass', and Red and Hearts are different characters.

message 26: by colleen the convivial curmudgeon, Not a book hipster! (new) - rated it 3 stars

colleen the convivial curmudgeon (blackrose13) | 2605 comments Oh, and I agree about the dad. I was surprised and disappointed.

Jackie (TheNightOwl) | 584 comments I felt that the Hatter thing was an almost an afterthought because for awhile there I was getting (view spoiler)

I just remember the books being extremely weird and jumpy, so I didn't catch the different locations = different characters thing until I read this book.

message 28: by colleen the convivial curmudgeon, Not a book hipster! (new) - rated it 3 stars

colleen the convivial curmudgeon (blackrose13) | 2605 comments One of my things about the original book is that, imo, it's not much of a "story". Like... it's more just a "hey, look at this world and all the weird people and things in it" and it's mostly Alice just going around and meeting people and exclaiming at how weird things are...

(This might be more true for Wonderland than Looking Glass... like I said, I don't remember if I even read LG or not.)

That's one reason why I like a lot of the adaptations of Alice better than the original, I think, because books like this one actually have a story...

Jackie (TheNightOwl) | 584 comments Would you recommend the Splintered series?

I saw the Disney movie and first Burton movie (enjoyed it), but other than that, I haven't tried other adaptations.

message 30: by colleen the convivial curmudgeon, Not a book hipster! (new) - rated it 3 stars

colleen the convivial curmudgeon (blackrose13) | 2605 comments Um...

I have a love/hate hate thing with Splintered. Love the story and yhe world... hate the over-focus on the fuvking love triangle.

Also, i believe it's on my 'guilty pleasures' shelf...

So... hard to say. You might like it because you like smut and 'so bad it's good' tupe stuff. ;)