World, Writing, Wealth discussion

Wealth & Economics > What's the most important profession?

Comments (showing 1-29 of 29) (29 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Nik (new)

Nik Krasno | 7792 comments We have a campaign mentioning that a poll with the above question returned with 72% of the public choosing a 'teacher'. Of course, the campaign is of teachers' association, so who knows, but what do you think?

message 2: by Scout (new)

Scout (goodreadscomscout) | 1709 comments Despite the maxim that "Those who can't do, teach," I'd have to agree that teaching is the most important profession. If you think about where you are in life, you know that you didn't get there without instruction of some sort.

message 3: by Graeme (new)

Graeme Rodaughan | 3288 comments Plumbers.

message 4: by Nik (new)

Nik Krasno | 7792 comments Yeah, sommelier

message 5: by Michel (new)

Michel Poulin | 1318 comments Doctors. They keep us alive.

message 6: by Graeme (new)

Graeme Rodaughan | 3288 comments Yeah - but if you have running water and good sewerage, you're a lot less likely to need a doctor...

message 7: by Graeme (new)

Graeme Rodaughan | 3288 comments Phone sanitation engineers are particularly important....

/#popcultureref...

message 8: by Tim (new)

Tim Rees | 732 comments Prostitution. It's the world's oldest profession for a reason... :D

message 9: by Holly (new)

Holly (Goldikova) | 185 comments The most important professionals in my private life: plumbers, electricians and my auto mechanic.

In my professional life I couldn't get along without my veterinarians; one specializes in equine sports medicine, the other in equine fertility and reproduction. Oh, and the farrier and equidentist.

message 10: by Jona (new)

Jona Taylor | 9 comments Maybe artists because they can see the world in a different way and give the rest of us new perspectives.

message 11: by Avnish (new)

Avnish Bhatia | 18 comments Food is essential for life. So farming is the best profession! Anyway every profession is important. We need so many products and services in our daily life. Our fellow members with formal or informal training take a profession of producing these product and services. So each profession, which is permitted by the society, is important with nothing like superiority. Prostitution is not permitted, so this is not a profession.

message 12: by Leonie (new)

Leonie (LeonieRogers) | 597 comments Holly wrote: "The most important professionals in my private life: plumbers, electricians and my auto mechanic.

In my professional life I couldn't get along without my veterinarians; one specializes in equine s..."

Strangely enough, I live in Australia's premier thoroughbred breeding region, and as a physiotherapist, I treat a large quantity of equine vets. They tend to hurt their shoulders from palping too much, and they suffer a variety of other injuries as a result of their clientele.

message 13: by Leonie (new)

Leonie (LeonieRogers) | 597 comments Graeme wrote: "Phone sanitation engineers are particularly important....

/#popcultureref..."

Very clever ;-)

message 14: by Graeme (new)

Graeme Rodaughan | 3288 comments Farmers can't grow anything without water. Plumbers are back out in front.

message 15: by Nik (new)

Nik Krasno | 7792 comments Graeme wrote: "Farmers can't grow anything without water. Plumbers are back out in front."

Or aqueduct engineers

message 16: by J.N. (new)

J.N. Bedout (jndebedout) | 96 comments Gravediggers.

Without them, the world would be a festering mess.

message 17: by Graeme (new)

Graeme Rodaughan | 3288 comments Aqueduct engineers = plumbers.

Anyone who directs the flow of water is a plumber.

Gravediggers need to drink - hence plumbers win again.

(Mario is a plumber = bonus points in this game).

message 18: by Nik (new)

Nik Krasno | 7792 comments Graeme wrote: "plumbers win again."

That's a serious and consistent support of this undoubtedly required profession

message 19: by Scout (new)

Scout (goodreadscomscout) | 1709 comments I'll go with plumber for the moment, as my toilet's insides need a doctor. The fix I did myself a few months ago turns out not to have been a very effective one :-(

message 20: by Leonie (new)

Leonie (LeonieRogers) | 597 comments Scout wrote: "I'll go with plumber for the moment, as my toilet's insides need a doctor. The fix I did myself a few months ago turns out not to have been a very effective one :-("

Oh dear...

message 21: by Graeme (new)

Graeme Rodaughan | 3288 comments I also have dodgy plumbing at the moment. I'm doing a massive house reno - basically a gut and rebuild. My wife and I are living in a 55m2 studio out the back. We have a portable ensuit/toilet on site - which when it functions, works just fine, but currently the waste pump is on the fritz, for the 3rd time since we started this process. fortunately we have a spare temp toilet in the house for the builders and tradies... just another one of life's little challenges...

Should all be finished in about 2 months.

message 22: by Scout (new)

Scout (goodreadscomscout) | 1709 comments Eyes on the prize, Graeme :)

message 23: by Rita (new)

Rita Chapman | 108 comments I agree with Graeme - it's doctors. If we had to, we can probably grow our own food and work out our own plumbing but healing yourself is something else.

message 24: by Lizzie (new)

Lizzie | 130 comments I was given this a lot of thought when I saw it. Many professions can be learned or at-least gotten bt at an unskilled level. For instance we can teach our children at home or we could self study for the attorney bar Exam. Self study as a doctor Would-be much more difficult.

In the end I am going with electrician. They seem to charge the most and be one of those areas that a general contractor will not attempt on their own. As a home owner I can say that prior owners have totally screwed up the electric in every house I have bought .

message 25: by Scout (new)

Scout (goodreadscomscout) | 1709 comments I'll go with electricians as being necessary. I'd still say that someone taught them to do their job, so teachers are necessary, too.

As an aside, I'd advise against asking friends to recommend friends for a job. I hired an electrician who was a friend of a friend, and he charged me $200 more than his estimate. I paid it and considered it a lesson learned. Hire a stranger with a good rep, and if he tries that crap, you can call him on it.

message 26: by Nik (new)

Nik Krasno | 7792 comments Hmm... folks here believe plumbers and electricians are more important than presidents, biz sharks and politicians, or are the latter actually 'professions'?

message 27: by Rita (new)

Rita Chapman | 108 comments Until we get some decent politicians who can run our countries, keep out of other countries' business and make decisions in favour of the general populace and not minority groups, I think the tradies are more important - but still believe Doctors are the most important of all.

message 28: by Scott (new)

Scott | 29 comments I'd love to say it's dentists. A lot of patients say there's nothing more painful than a bad toothache. But maybe we go under "Doctors."

Engineers of all sorts solve problems and think of ways to create the future. Any consideration for the various engineering fields?

message 29: by Scout (new)

Scout (goodreadscomscout) | 1709 comments We're all so dependent on others, aren't we? For our comfort; for our health; for our food, clean water, and clean air. That's why it's so difficult to answer this question with one profession.