r/FemaleFashionAdvice Book Club discussion

Deluxe: How Luxury Lost Its Luster
This topic is about Deluxe
Notes as You Go

Comments (showing 1-16 of 16) (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Kate | 14 comments Mod
Feel free to capture any notes here as you're reading that you think are interesting and want to touch on at the end of the month during our discussion.

message 2: by BlueRoseFire (last edited Jul 09, 2017 02:28PM) (new)

BlueRoseFire | 1 comments Mod
Hi everyone,

Excited for the group! Three points I've found interesting so far:

1. The attitude shift toward couture between the 1950s and the 1960s (e.g. when Leslie Caron talks about couture being perceived as old fashioned) and the "dressing down" of society as tied to the beginnngs of luxury being more about making money than the best quality that money could buy.

I've personally noticed that a lot of vintage haute couture seems to be more wearable and normal than modern haute couture (or perhaps we just don't see the wearable pieces in the public eye). Not that there weren't elaborate gowns in the past, but people also invested in simple separates and dresses that you could wear in day to day life that fit you to perfection and were beautifully made in high quality fabrics. Has this been replaced with RTW, or is there still a market for every day haute couture?

2. The changes that occurred as a result of the 1980s/1990s corporatization and rise of conglomerates in fashion as well as how that changed the dynamics between a fashion house and its designer

3. The rise of acessories and changes in who are the target and/or biggest customer base for a house

Kate | 14 comments Mod
Excellent points all around!!! I think your question at the end of number one is (so far) the discussion I'm most looking forward to. With the massive upheaval currently in progress for the retail industry, it makes this question even more fun :)

Elizabeth | 6 comments I haven't started this book yet (it should arrive this week sometime...) but I'm also interested in discussing point number one, particularly changes in construction. When I was in my 20's I worked as a professional seamstress in my summers off from grad school and have a background in sewing and textile restoration. I've had the pleasure of working with several pieces of vintage couture clothing and have had the pleasure of of wearing (borrowed) modern couture to events and the internal construction and quality of work remains the same...but you are correct in saying that it doesn't seem to be for the every day any more. I think that's more the domain of high-end RTW and the construction quality is very, very different at that level. Although...did you see Dior's newest couture collection? I think that's the most wearable collection I've seen in years. (Link: https://youtu.be/M-IYQ2Im1eg)

On that note...I know this isn't the discussion yet, just notes... so I'll save the rest of my thoughts for later.

Kate | 14 comments Mod
I wanted to have this section just to keep us stoked through our read ^_^ I will watch the Dior video on my lunch for sure! In talking about construction, it reminded me of this clip of my beloved Dita von Teese and a piece of Dior that had underpinnings. Ugh, it killed me, check it out: https://youtu.be/ZQxQbrKNNgc

Elizabeth | 6 comments Woo! I got the book in the mail yesterday and I just started the first chapter last night. I'll add my notes to the discussion when I'm a few chapters in. I'm definitely taking notes in the margin to help me remember.

Kate, I enjoyed that clip! I have an entire pinterest board of things to make and quite a few pictures of the inner workings of the inner workings of dresses so that I can replicate them when I need to. It's amazing how they were constructed!

Kate | 14 comments Mod
Yaaaaay!!! Love that you are finding the book stimulating enough to take notes; it's a good sign ^_^

Elizabeth, I need a link to this Pinterest board!!! I'm a bit of a textile nut and am learning about construction right now.

Elizabeth | 6 comments Kate, Here's a link to my board: https://www.pinterest.com/elizabethli...

It's kind of a random collection of things I'd like to make and wear...nothing too fancy, but lots of construction ideas. Do you sew or make any of your own clothes?

Kate | 14 comments Mod
Thank you! I can't wait to give it a proper dig through and click through links. I saw a Dita one and had to stop myself, lol.
I'm taking a garment lab right now and making a skirt. I haven't touched a sewing machine since middle school like *cough* twenty or so *cough* years ago. It scarred me, and I wasn't a girlie girl until I was 20 anyway. Now, working in the industry, I'm just a giant ball of curiosity about EVERYTHING. I'm going to terrorize some fabric experts at one of the brands tomorrow, hehehe.

Elizabeth | 6 comments What do you do in the industry? I'm so curious! I'm excited that you're getting the opportunity to make a skirt - that's a really good beginner's project! I'm working on finishing a quilt right now but I have a lineup of garments right now to do next. I need two winter coats so I'm going to make one and buy one. I live in a colder climate and I just suffered last winter so I'm upgrading coats this year. I need a more formal/dressy coat for winter and a down jacket for when it's miserably cold so I'll be making the more formal/dressy coat because I find that most cloth coats are not warm enough and I want to be able to customize it to how warm I need it and how it fits.

message 11: by Heather (last edited Jul 16, 2017 08:50PM) (new)

Heather | 1 comments I'm finding very interesting the cultural nuances that play into today's "luxury culture". The intro pointed out that the target market is 25+ in China, but 30+ everywhere else. Also the significant bond between the Japanese market and the LV monogram.

message 12: by Kate (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kate | 14 comments Mod
Elizabeth wrote: "What do you do in the industry? I'm so curious!
I work in trade! I'm actually doing an AMA on FFA tomorrow.
I'm excited that you're getting the opportunity to make a skirt - that's a really good beginner's project! I'm working on finishing a quilt right now..."
Ah, I could never do a quilt! The skirt is... coming along. We do fits on Saturday. Eap!

message 13: by Kate (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kate | 14 comments Mod
Heather wrote: "I'm finding very interesting the cultural nuances that play into today's "luxury culture". The intro pointed out that the target market is 25+ in China, but 30+ everywhere else. Also the significan..."
I'll admit, I never expected to read about parasite singles in a book about fashion, yet at the same time, it doesn't seem surprising... In the section discussing the Japanese and fashion, I found the contrast with the French and US in regards to product quality very interesting!

Elizabeth | 6 comments I'm reading the chapter entitled "Going Mass" and this is where the book really, really dates itself to a pre-2008 era. I'm interested in your thoughts about how the economics of fashion in today's world would change the way this chapter (and possibly the book!) was written.

Elizabeth | 6 comments Quick question for the group - when does the official discussion about this book start and is it going to be here or on FFA? Thanks!

message 16: by Kate (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kate | 14 comments Mod
Elizabeth wrote: "Quick question for the group - when does the official discussion about this book start and is it going to be here or on FFA? Thanks!"

Thanks, for asking! It will be posted on FFA and I expect to post questions either today, but most likely tomorrow :)