Flights of Fantasy discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Books & Discussions > What are you reading July 2017?

Comments (showing 1-50 of 79) (79 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by colleen the convivial curmudgeon, Not a book hipster! (new)

colleen the convivial curmudgeon (blackrose13) | 2613 comments I'm currently reading Feet of Clay, which is not my favorite Discworld book, but not the worst, either. It's picking up, now, towards the end.

I'm also reading Heartless as my gym read, and I've been away from work for awhile so that's kind of languished for a while...

message 2: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (TheNightOwl) | 586 comments How is Heartless, Colleen? I really enjoyed her Lunar Chronicles series.

I'm currently reading Anne of Ingleside and finishing up The Walking Dead, Book Two. I had to set Walking Dead a side to read The Count of Monte Cristo for book club last month, so it looks like I've been reading it for over a month.

message 3: by Chris , cookie guilt (new)

Chris  (haughtc) | 2319 comments I'm reading The Autumn Republic and I'm loving it. Also working on Fool's Assassin slowly on audiobook.

message 4: by colleen the convivial curmudgeon, Not a book hipster! (new)

colleen the convivial curmudgeon (blackrose13) | 2613 comments Jackie wrote: "How is Heartless, Colleen? I really enjoyed her Lunar Chronicles series."

So far so good, but I'm not very far in.

I was going to wait for you to read this first, but then I found myself without a book and had this on the e-reader so, here I am. LOL

I'm a huge Wonderland fan, so I'm a bit worried... but so far is seems kind of like Syfy's Alice - like, it incorporates ideas from the books but in a totally different kind of way.

message 5: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (TheNightOwl) | 586 comments LOL. No worries. I'm doing a summer challenge and I don't want to read books not on my list. I can add it for next month though and we can discuss.

message 6: by colleen the convivial curmudgeon, Not a book hipster! (new)

colleen the convivial curmudgeon (blackrose13) | 2613 comments Jackie wrote: "LOL. No worries. I'm doing a summer challenge and I don't want to read books not on my list. I can add it for next month though and we can discuss."

Coolio. It'll take me awhile to get through, being a gym read.

Not that my gym going is somewhat sporadic or anything...

Michelle Elizabeth (Michelle-El) | 114 comments Reading The Path of Daggers (Wheel of Time, #8), The Red Pyramid (Kane Chronicles, #1) (a reread so I can further the series) and Shadowcaster (Shattered Realms, #2). I finished Splintered late Monday, and trying to bleach my brain now.

message 8: by colleen the convivial curmudgeon, Not a book hipster! (new)

colleen the convivial curmudgeon (blackrose13) | 2613 comments LOL, I liked Splintered, but it's definitely on my 'guilty pleasures' shelf.

message 9: by Mandy (new)

Mandy Nel | 1 comments I'm finishing Stephen kings - Through the eyes of the dragon.
not he's usual fare, but I'm enjoying it.

message 10: by Jessika (new)

Jessika (jessikareads) Mandy wrote: "I'm finishing Stephen kings - Through the eyes of the dragon.
not he's usual fare, but I'm enjoying it."

Oh, that is such a good one. I am reading his The Talisman that he wrote with Peter Straub, which kind of has a similar feel.

message 11: by Chris , cookie guilt (new)

Chris  (haughtc) | 2319 comments Jessika, do you plan to read Black House when you're done? It's the sequel, but has a totally different feel. It took me a couple chapters to get into it, but once I did it was one of my favorite King books ever.

message 12: by Michelle Elizabeth (last edited Jul 06, 2017 10:37PM) (new)

Michelle Elizabeth (Michelle-El) | 114 comments colleen the convivial curmudgeon wrote: "LOL, I liked Splintered, but it's definitely on my 'guilty pleasures' shelf."

What truly killed it for me was Jeb and Alyssa's relationship dynamics; the spin on Wonderland was pretty interesting, but I hated Jeb so much!!! Like, SO SO MUCH! :P I have book two and see myself reading it, but yeah... lol

message 13: by Jessika (new)

Jessika (jessikareads) Chris wrote: "Jessika, do you plan to read Black House when you're done? It's the sequel, but has a totally different feel. It took me a couple chapters to get into it, but once I did it was one of ..."

I have had it forever and have never gotten around to reading it. I really want to give it a go, especially because I've heard that there are people who prefer it over The Talisman.

message 14: by colleen the convivial curmudgeon, Not a book hipster! (new)

colleen the convivial curmudgeon (blackrose13) | 2613 comments Michelle *Queen of Dorks* wrote: "What truly killed it for me was Jeb and Alyssa's relationship dynamics; the spin on Wonderland was pretty interesting, but I hated Jeb so much!!! Like, SO SO MUCH! :P I have book two and see myself reading it, but yeah... lol "

I hated Jeb, too.

Like, it's hard to build a love triangle when you absolutely despise one of the "potentials" and you're like, "Why would you ever, in a million years, even consider picking him?"

I do wish the love triangle wasn't such a strong focus of the trilogy, because there's so much better story going on around it... but, alas, it does suffer from that particular YA curse.

message 15: by Angela (new)

Angela | 41 comments I finished The Republic of Thieves which was just okay. I liked the first two books more and so far The Lies of Locke Lamora is easily my favourite in the series.

I've now started Malice

message 16: by Greg (new)

Greg | 165 comments I'm more than half-way through Stormbreaker, which isn't bad for a teen spy/undercover novel but I think Lone Wolf, which I read in March, is more believable. Admittedly, this is the first in the Alex Rider series so maybe the later books will be better.

message 17: by colleen the convivial curmudgeon, Not a book hipster! (new)

colleen the convivial curmudgeon (blackrose13) | 2613 comments Finished Feet of Clay and moved on to Jingo - which is my July Discworld book which means once I finish it I'll finally be back on schedule. w00t!

(I'm reading them in order - mostly. I skipped Hogfather so I could read it for December.)

message 18: by MrsJoseph, Bad Girls Deadlift (new)

MrsJoseph | 4770 comments Im not reading anything right now but I started and plan to get back to Young Miles.

message 19: by Felina (new)

Felina | 687 comments Jackie wrote: "How is Heartless, Colleen? I really enjoyed her Lunar Chronicles series.

I'm currently reading Anne of Ingleside and finishing up [book:The Walking Dead, Book Two|1383..."

How did you Cristo? I LOVED that book which is very weird for me given my feelings regarding classics.

message 20: by Felina (new)

Felina | 687 comments colleen the convivial curmudgeon wrote: "Michelle *Queen of Dorks* wrote: "What truly killed it for me was Jeb and Alyssa's relationship dynamics; the spin on Wonderland was pretty interesting, but I hated Jeb so much!!! Like, SO SO MUCH!..."

Love triangles?! Dude.

message 21: by Felina (new)

Felina | 687 comments I'm finally finishing The Long Way to a Small, Angry Planet. I've only got about 50 pages left. I want to start IT after but I can't find my copy. I'm almost positive I have a copy but we haven't gotten our library in order yet (it's only been almost 3 years since we got married and I moved but that's not enough time to get a library sorted, right?) so I may just do something completely out of character for me and...read the next book in that series. WEIRD!

message 22: by colleen the convivial curmudgeon, Not a book hipster! (new)

colleen the convivial curmudgeon (blackrose13) | 2613 comments Felina wrote: "read the next book in that series. WEIRD! "

O_O

message 23: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (TheNightOwl) | 586 comments Felina wrote: "How did you Cristo? I LOVED that book which is very weird for me given my feelings regarding classics."

Loved it, although I was ready for the book to end. Large books tend to make me antsy after awhile. It didn't feel at all like your typical classic, in the sense that it was very easy to get into the groove of the story. I didn't feel like my head had to change gears every time I picked it up, which was a pleasant surprise. I definitely want to tackle more Dumas...maybe, The Three Musketeers next.

------------------

I'm currently reading Lexicon, which is turning out to be more interesting than I thought it was going to be.

message 24: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (TheNightOwl) | 586 comments colleen the convivial curmudgeon wrote: "Felina wrote: "read the next book in that series. WEIRD! "

O_O"

^ riiight?!

message 25: by Felina (new)

Felina | 687 comments Jackie wrote: "Felina wrote: "How did you Cristo? I LOVED that book which is very weird for me given my feelings regarding classics."

Loved it, although I was ready for the book to end. Large books tend to make ..."

I've wanted to read another Dumas for a while. Let me know if/when you get to this and I'll see if I can join you.

message 26: by Felina (new)

Felina | 687 comments Lexicon sounds interesting. How heavy is the romance?

message 27: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (TheNightOwl) | 586 comments A buddy read would be nice for Dumas. Probably more towards the end of the year.

Lexicon - there is a romantic relationship there, but so far it's not the point of the story.

message 28: by Felina (new)

Felina | 687 comments let's do Dumas in like November. It seems like a fall read but October is for horror only.

I'll keep an eye out for your Lexicon review or if you don't do one let me how much the romance factors in.

message 29: by colleen the convivial curmudgeon, Not a book hipster! (new)

colleen the convivial curmudgeon (blackrose13) | 2613 comments Finished Jingo, and now I've moved on to Resurrection, the new Skulduggery Pleasant book.

message 30: by Felina (new)

Felina | 687 comments I finished Small Angry Planet and moved onto something with Crown in the title. Looks exciting!

message 31: by Thaddeus (new)

Thaddeus White | 68 comments I'm currently re-reading Marc Morris' A Great and Terrible King: Edward I and the Forging of Britain, and reading Primordial: A Liberator Universe Novelette.

Engaging history and I'm liking the sci-fi short, which is free and set in the same universe as the Liberator novel.

message 32: by colleen the convivial curmudgeon, Not a book hipster! (new)

colleen the convivial curmudgeon (blackrose13) | 2613 comments My library is taking forever to get any of my holds in, so I started The Last Continent the other day for lack of anything else on hand to read.

The upshot is I'll now be ahead of the game on my Discworld-a-thon, for a change - and I'll probably need that wriggle room if I do 3 Musketeers in November, which I haven't decided about yet.

I also started Moon Over Soho as my gym read today - and I'm realizing I remember essentially nothing of the first book, so this should be fun...

message 33: by Dawn, Dawnerys, Mother of Modding (new)

Dawn (breakofdawn) | 860 comments I'm still reading Assassin's Fate. I'm sort of stalled, but because it's not great. I just haven't been spending a lot of time reading lately. I've been on a video game kick (first playing the new Zelda, then Persona 5, then Stardew Valley, now Horizon Zero Dawn) lately, so I only have been reading in bed... But once I get to bed I'm lucky if I make it a chapter before falling asleep! I just need to make more hours in the day!

message 34: by MrsJoseph, Bad Girls Deadlift (new)

MrsJoseph | 4770 comments Dawn wrote: "I'm still reading Assassin's Fate. I'm sort of stalled, but because it's not great. I just haven't been spending a lot of time reading lately. I've been on a video game kick (first ..."

I started Stardew Valley! It's like a complete time sink/black hole.

I love it.

message 35: by Felina (new)

Felina | 687 comments I vote yes on more hours in the day. Or actually I'd rather just not have to sleep.

I'm reading Sorcerer to the Crown and at first it was reading like a major Jonathan Strange knock off but it's started going it's own way and I am super down. Also, I love the women in magic angle in this book. But there does appear to be some instalove which is not cool and I am not super down with...so...we'll see.

message 36: by Soo (new)

Soo (Silverlyn) | 25 comments Felina, I had mixed feelings about several aspects of Sorcerer to the Crown but thought it had some cool concepts overall. If I remember right, it slows down until a bit after half of the book and then zig-zags into more interesting antics.

message 37: by Greg (new)

Greg | 165 comments Dawn wrote: "I'm still reading Assassin's Fate. I'm sort of stalled, but because it's not great. I just haven't been spending a lot of time reading lately. I've been on a video game kick (first ..."

I have those gaming binges too! And I now understand that when a book and a game share my ipad, the game is more likely to win my attention! Printed books are much more likely to be read - and more quickly too!

message 38: by Felina (new)

Felina | 687 comments Greg wrote: "Dawn wrote: "I'm still reading Assassin's Fate. I'm sort of stalled, but because it's not great. I just haven't been spending a lot of time reading lately. I've been on a video game..."

I don't play video games but I am also learning that real books get read much more than my ebooks.

message 39: by Felina (new)

Felina | 687 comments Soo wrote: "Felina, I had mixed feelings about several aspects of Sorcerer to the Crown but thought it had some cool concepts overall. If I remember right, it slows down until a bit after half of the book and ..."

Good to know. I'm at 100 pages or 27% now so if I run into some slow stuff I will forge ahead.

message 40: by Greg (new)

Greg | 165 comments Felina wrote: "Greg wrote: "Dawn wrote: "I'm still reading Assassin's Fate. I'm sort of stalled, but because it's not great. I just haven't been spending a lot of time reading lately. I've been on..."

I find it more pleasurable to read a print book. But searching for a word or phrase in an electronic book can be a handy feature too.

message 41: by Soo (new)

Soo (Silverlyn) | 25 comments I'm on a runaway book stint so I can hardly keep up with the books I'm reading at any point. =P

Right now I'm stupid happy about the Sandman Slim series and trying to keep my jaw off the floor as I read the tail end of Aloha from Hell. Well, I'm exaggerating. Mostly, I'm chortling with glee over in the corner as I take in what's happening in the story and grin over all of the implications.

Started the audio for The Brotherhood of the Wheel and it's great! Bronson Pinchot does a great job narrating the story. It's on hold for now so I can go back and really dig in. Story starts off with a hunt for a serial killer, saved the victim, a sad ghost and modern knights that drive trucks. Good stuff. If Belcher's work is as entertaining as this one, I'll love the other books.

House of Leaves continues to amuse, delight, disgust and annoy me. Plan is to suck it up and read the rest today-tomorrow.

message 42: by Ekel (new)

Ekel Adolf | 101 comments Ian Livingstone is going to release a new Fighting Fantasy gamebook on August 3rd:

http://geeksyndicate.co.uk/books-2/bo...

I already prepare myself mentally and get myself in the mood by playing a German series of fantasy gamebooks called Die Welt der 1000 Abenteuer:

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1...

The gaming system has no dice rolls, but latter volumes use a combat system based on combat tables and charts, similar to Lone Wolf. You test your luck (fate) by blindly picking runes from a drawn pile of runestones, which is actually a pretty cool feature. The two biggest weaknesses: First, the books are rather YA oriented and second, they are only sparsely illustrated, and in a poor way.

Like FF, there is one adventure set underwater, and on another occasion you can encounter a riddle that is suspiciously similar to one found in Deathtrap Dungeon.

message 43: by Carol (new)

Carol | 1 comments Dawn wrote: "I'm still reading Assassin's Fate. I'm sort of stalled, but because it's not great. I just haven't been spending a lot of time reading lately. I've been on a video game kick (first ..."

LOL.. don't miss playing Little Nightmares... sooo fun!

message 44: by Jimmit (new)

Jimmit Shah (Jimmit_Shah) | 1 comments Started Rotherweird today seems like a very interesting read so far (done 10 chapters). Planning to read Age of Swords once it releases.

message 45: by Katie (new)

Katie (viridianflare) | 4 comments I've been re-reading the Harry Potter series. The books started to come out when I was in high school, so I got through Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire, but when I went to college for English, there was no time for leisurely reading. I love the movies and have been told finishing the series is a good idea.

I just finished Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone and started Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets. :)

message 46: by colleen the convivial curmudgeon, Not a book hipster! (new)

colleen the convivial curmudgeon (blackrose13) | 2613 comments

message 47: by Katie (new)

Katie (viridianflare) | 4 comments colleen the convivial curmudgeon wrote: ""

Oh my god, why doesn't Goodreads have like and love buttons?

message 48: by Greg (new)

Greg | 165 comments Katie wrote: "colleen the convivial curmudgeon wrote: ""

Oh my god, why doesn't Goodreads have like and love buttons?"

I've often wondered that myself. (And that's a great pictogram, Colleen!)

message 49: by colleen the convivial curmudgeon, Not a book hipster! (new)

colleen the convivial curmudgeon (blackrose13) | 2613 comments Katie wrote: "Oh my god, why doesn't Goodreads have like and love buttons?"

Because some fuddy-duddies don't want goodreads to turn into Facebook and would rather people have to post "LOL" to something then just have a reaction. ;)

And I'm glad you like the pic. Can't take credit for it, of course... but now I'm debating about where I could get it as a tattoo. :D

message 50: by Dawn, Dawnerys, Mother of Modding (last edited Jul 20, 2017 08:58AM) (new)

Dawn (breakofdawn) | 860 comments Where location or where on body? If on body, definitely lower back! ;-)

« previous 1
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.