Support for Indie Authors discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
SIA Investigate > Anyone here ever contacted by ReadersMagnet?

Comments (showing 1-20 of 20) (20 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Anne (last edited Jul 06, 2017 05:14AM) (new)

Anne McNeely | 9 comments Today, I received a very peculiar phone call from a person at ReadersMagnet saying my book was recommended to them by a book scout and they want to help me market it. Now first off, I received the phone call at work, which was alarming because I haven’t given my work number out to anyone (yes – I still like to maintain a Clark Kent type persona during the day). Second, her spiel didn’t sound all that kosher as she wouldn’t tell me who the book scout was or how she happened to get my work number. She also never actually completed a full sentence or train of thought before interrupting herself with assurances that my book will be marketed to all the publishers and literary agents and those in the film industry blah, blah, blah… I stopped her (as the woman needed to take a breath and I was at work.) “What is it that you’re offering exactly and how much are you selling it for?” She said there’s an international book fair in Frankfurt Germany and to hold a spot to showcase my book would be $550. What I want to know is, have any of you ever been contacted by this company with a similar pitch? It feels like a scam but out of curiosity, I checked out their website which does look legitimate.

message 2: by Dwayne, Captain Whatever (new)

Dwayne Fry | 3107 comments Mod
Please remove the link from your post.

I would be leery of any company I'd never heard from calling me at a number I'd never given out, making grand claims and giving vague details.

I'm seeing typos on their website. I see no comments on their blog, very few likes on their facebook posts, etc. Even if they are legit, they're pricey and they don't seem to be able to grab a lot of traffic to their own blogs and pages...

message 3: by Anna Faversham (last edited Jul 07, 2017 12:15PM) (new)

Anna Faversham (AnnaFaversham) | 295 comments I wouldn't touch it with a barge pole and I'd try very hard not to waste my time thinking about it.

message 4: by Anne (new)

Anne McNeely | 9 comments Ha!! Yeah, that's pretty much how I felt when I hung up the phone. Thank you both. I'll go with my gut on this one and forget about them.

message 5: by Amie (new)

Amie O'Brien | 306 comments My mother would have said..."If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is." ;)

message 6: by V.M., The Gentleman Ninja (new)

V.M. Sawh (VMSawh) | 777 comments Mod
Yep. That's a scam.

I would also do a quick search for yourself online to see if your contact information is available in places it shouldn't be. Particularly if you're publishing under the same you that you're employed under.

message 7: by Lindsay (new)

Lindsay Redifer | 4 comments Amie wrote: "My mother would have said..."If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is." ;)"
My mom always said the same. Sounds like we have two smart mamas on our hands.

message 8: by Justin (new)

Justin (JustinBienvenue) | 712 comments Such companies don't reach out to you and if they do...its usually a scam.

message 9: by Robin (last edited Oct 20, 2017 03:29PM) (new)

Robin (RobinGregory) | 64 comments Anne wrote: "Today, I received a very peculiar phone call from a person at ReadersMagnet saying my book was recommended to them by a book scout and they want to help me market it. Now first off, I received the ..."
It's true that there is a reputable book expo in Frankfurt, but I'd be leery of this woman. There are so many opportunists preying on naive authors! Why not contact Foreword Reviews or IBPA to have your book repped at Frankfurt by reputable peeps for half the cost?

message 10: by Stephen (new)

Stephen PEASE (STEPHENAPEASE) | 2 comments I just got the same call. I was suspicious from the start because the caller (a male) was in a crowded room and hard to hear. I told him to email me with the information so I could check it out. It didn't take long to find out it was just another company trying to prey on new authors, Steve

message 11: by Julia (new)

Julia (juliandblogsandbooks) | 2 comments ReadersMagnet is a legit company and they did a great job at promoting my friends book at frankfurt and bookexpo show! At first we are also skeptical about it but we decided to sign up with them earlier this year. Just recently i got call from them and we received a full report from the bookfairs with pictures of our book at the show. We made the right decision signing up with ReadersMagnet and we're now planning to do more book promotions and marketing strategies with them soon.

message 12: by Christina (new)

Christina McMullen (cmcmullen) | 4059 comments Julia wrote: "ReadersMagnet is a legit company and they did a great job at promoting my friends book at frankfurt and bookexpo show! At first we are also skeptical about it but we decided to sign up with them ea..."

Aside from some photos, was there any tangible results in the form of sales, publishing contracts with legitimate trads, or anything else that has led to recouping the steep fee?

message 13: by Dwayne, Captain Whatever (new)

Julia wrote: "ReadersMagnet is a legit company..."

To be honest, this makes me even more skeptical. Your profile is set to private and you joined the group today, it would seem for the sole purpose of responding to this old post.

message 14: by Rick (new)

Rick Belmont | 1 comments This company is a legit book publisher and marketer.

message 15: by Dwayne, Captain Whatever (new)

Comment deleted. Please review the rules. We don't allow links. Thanks.

message 16: by Dwayne, Captain Whatever (new)

Rick wrote: "This company is a legit book publisher and marketer."

Like Julia, you seem to have set up an account and joined our group for the sole purpose of telling us ReadersMagnet is legit, yet offering no real proof.

message 17: by Clyde (new)

Clyde Hedges (Clyde_Hedges) | 20 comments Anne, I just checked out Readers Magnet reviews, and it's a scam. I hope this doesn't hurt your feelings. Keep trying. It's fun just to write.

message 18: by Anne (new)

Anne McNeely | 9 comments Thank you Clyde and nah... my feelings aren't hurt. I posted my query about this months ago and I knew I had this community to reach out to. I'm very grateful for that. At the very least, my post above was able to get the word out to others to be careful of this company, or others like it. Thank you to everyone that posted advice, and shared experiences.

message 19: by Clyde (new)

Clyde Hedges (Clyde_Hedges) | 20 comments Thank you, Anne. I've been scammed by a few outfits like this. I get my hopes up and find out that they are crooks.

message 20: by Dwayne, Captain Whatever (new)

Comment deleted. Per the rules and even mentioned in this very thread - NO LINKS! It's probably time to close this thread.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.
unread topics | mark unread