The Sword and Laser discussion

Scifi / Fantasy News > 3 more Expanse novels announced

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ben (last edited Jun 19, 2014 02:34PM) (new)

Ben (bennewton_1) Another trilogy of novels by James S.A. Corey set in The Expanse universe has been bought by Orbit. This will extend the series to a planned 9 novels, all being released only a year apart, plus short stories and novellas.

I've just recently got into this world so am very pleased to see it will be continuing for some years yet.

James S. A. Corey’s The Expanse Series Adds a Third Trilogy

message 2: by Scott (new)

Scott (dodger1379) | 126 comments I've never read any of the series but....it's the next sci-fi series I'm going to start as soon as I finish The Human Division. Looking forward to it.

message 3: by Sky (new)

Sky | 665 comments Sweet...I just started Leviathan Wakes today!

message 4: by Rob, Roberator (new)

Rob (robzak) | 6896 comments Mod
I have mixed feelings. I like the series a lot, and I'm sure I'll read the newly announced trilogy, but sometimes longer stories/more books aren't a good thing.

I'll be fine if it's a new self-contained trilogy set in the same universe after the end of the current story, but if this means things will now take 9 books to be resolved instead of 6, that's annoying to me.

Hard to say no to more money, and content publishers and producers hate to take risks on new things when they have something that is popular though.

Joe Informatico (joeinformatico) | 888 comments Well, this series is currently my favourite for meeting my criteria of a) being enjoyable reads and b) having a reliable publishing schedule, so this is great news!

Rob wrote: "I'll be fine if it's a new self-contained trilogy set in the same universe after the end of the current story, but if this means things will now take 9 books to be resolved instead of 6, that's annoying to me."

I find that's more of a problem for me with plot arc-centred stories that are building towards a definite conclusion, like a lot of those "defeat the Dark Lord/save the world" plot epic fantasy series. When they add books to those types of series, they smack of padding: extraneous sideplots, introducing brand new characters that we're suddenly supposed to care about, etc.

With the Expanse, the strength of these books to me has always been the worldbuilding and the characters. Once they finished that first trilogy explaining how humanity is able to take its first steps among the stars, they set themselves up to tell as many stories in that universe that they want, without building up to any definite conclusion. A lot of the classic space opera series that inspired Corey, like Bujold's, Cherryh's, and Niven's, seem to go on for dozens of installments without getting tiresome to their fans.

message 6: by Rob, Roberator (new)

Joe Informatico wrote: "With the Expanse, the strength of these books to me has always been the worldbuilding and the characters. Once they finished that first trilogy explaining how humanity is able to take its first steps among the stars, they set themselves up to tell as many stories in that universe that they want, without building up to any definite conclusion."

And I'm fine with them telling those stories, whether that's from novellas, stand alone books, or a new trilogy.

But there is still a ton of unanswered questions with the protomolecule stuff that I'd like to see brought to some kind of conclusion.

Depending on what that conclusion is, I don't see that preventing them from writing more expanse stories.

Personally, I just don't want to see them drag that stuff out for the sake of writing more books. I'd like book 6 to wrap it all up and have books 7-9 be about something else.

Like you said, book 3 really set them up to tell a whole bunch of new stories.

message 7: by Dara (new)

Dara (cmdrdara) | 2702 comments I'm okay with more Expanse novels. There doesn't seem to be a large, overarching theme that needs wrapped up. I wouldn't mind getting stories all over Corey's universe with different characters. It seems that their universe keeps expanding and there's always a story to tell.

message 8: by Rob, Roberator (new)

I disagree. The proto molecule has been driving things. There is plenty from that needs to be wrapped up.

message 9: by Dara (new)

Dara (cmdrdara) | 2702 comments It has been a while since I read Abbadon's Gate so maybe that's not as fresh in my mind, plus I didn't really like that book.

message 10: by Rob, Roberator (new)

Id refresh yourself on it before reading the new one.

message 11: by Dara (new)

Dara (cmdrdara) | 2702 comments There's a wiki that I'll read.

message 12: by John (new)

John (jvonrader) | 46 comments Looking at that link, I'm amused how Orbit can't seem to decide where to put the author name and title on the covers.

message 13: by Kev (new)

Kev (sporadicreviews) | 649 comments I absolutely love this series.

I agree that it would be nice if things aren't dragged out to 9 books, and we get different/other/additional/further stories.

I do think, for the most the part, the first four books can stand on their own, though there is the protomolecule driving everything. Cibola Burn was the only book I read where I kept thinking it required knowledge of previous books to keep up.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Leviathan Wakes (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

James S.A. Corey (other topics)