The Worst Bestsellers discussion

Meet Addy: An American Girl (American Girls: Addy, #1)
This topic is about Meet Addy
Worst Bestsellers Episodes > Episode 76 - American Girl

Comments (showing 1-11 of 11) (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Renata (renatasnacks) | 129 comments Mod
http://www.frowl.org/worstbestsellers...

Time to talk about American Girl dolls!!! Did you have one? Did you want one? How jealous were you if you didn't have one? Did you know that if you are an adult with disposable income there is no reason you can't just go buy one right now?????????

message 2: by Megan (new)

Megan | 5 comments I didn't want a doll... I was just pissed when I library had incomplete series. What's the point of having 2,3, and 5 if you have "met" the character? Such bullshit. Can't wait to listen to this episode tomorrow.

Oh no!!! I'm sure those books took more than their fair share of damage but it's such a bummer a library wouldn't replace them :(

message 4: by Lorelei (last edited Jul 05, 2017 11:18PM) (new)

Lorelei (ielerol) | 10 comments I had all the books for the first five girls, but somehow I didn't even realize there were dolls until I was in high school. Samantha's books were my favorite, and I did at one point get an 18" doll that in retrospect was totally a knockoff Samantha, but I never connected it with the books.

message 5: by Ada (new)

Ada | 2 comments I'm dutch so I had never even heard about American Girl. I did spend my last few hours reading about all the controversies about them...
So thank you for that.

But I think I would wanted a Molly (?) just because I also had glasses. I do think my mother would've bought a Addy because in her time they didn't had much dolls that even came close to looking like her.

Do they have dolls with big fro's now?

HALF A HOUR LATER

Correction I'M NOT A DOLL PERSON!

CAT CUDDLE TOYS ALL THE WAY!

Lorelei wrote: "I had all the books for the first five girls, but somehow I didn't even realize there were dolls until I was in high school."
oh my gosh, you escaped the catalogs?!?! in retrospect: you were #blessed

Ada wrote: "But I think I would wanted a Molly (?) just because I also had glasses. I do think my mother would've bought a Addy because in her time they didn't had much dolls that even came close to looking like her.

Do they have dolls with big fro's now?"

Molly's glasses were easily like 50% of the reason for my affinity for her 8-)

Sadly none of the historical black American Girl dolls have fros :( There is this hair for the modern-day dolls though.

But also for real, cat cuddle toys all the way!

message 7: by Ai (new)

Ai Miller (aijmiller) | 1 comments I had a MINI-doll of Molly (which were significantly cheaper than the Actual Dolls), who was my favorite because she has glasses, but I liked Kirsten's stories too because someone died in the first one and I was like. Really into that part of it?

I also want to note that Kaya has a pretty culturally-accurate pow-wow dress that they consulted with Nez Perce folks on (I think?) but it used to be a jingle dance dress (as I recall,) which is a dance that originated in Ojibwe communities and has spread to Lakota and Dakota communities but not, to my knowledge, Nez Perce folks??? Anyway, just to add into that whole history of being touch and go with representation.

Ai wrote: "I had a MINI-doll of Molly (which were significantly cheaper than the Actual Dolls)"

hold up I didn't know that was on the table! GASP

my favorite because she has glasses
same

but I liked Kirsten's stories too because someone died in the first one and I was like. Really into that part of it?

Kids love tragedy!! Almost universally true.

I also want to note that Kaya has a pretty culturally-accurate pow-wow dress that they consulted with Nez Perce folks on (I think?) but it used to be a jingle dance dress (as I recall,) which is a dance that originated in Ojibwe communities and has spread to Lakota and Dakota communities but not, to my knowledge, Nez Perce folks??
Oh great info, thanks! IIRC we talked about Kaya a little bit...before recording...and didn't get into her much during the actual podcast? Like they created a new head mold to be more culturally accurate. But then they used that same face mold for Logan, the American Boy.

So, still kind of a mixed bag! But...they're trying????

message 9: by Meags (new)

Meags (meags09) | 13 comments So, I never even heard of American Girl when I lived in Canada. I don't know if the juggernaut has crossed the border yet, but when I was 21, I first came to meet my Internet boyfriend and his sister had her Samantha doll displayed in a glass cabinet. I was like, WHAT IS THAT and I got the whole story. My girls are 3 and 6 and we haven't gone down the rabbit hole yet, although they have a Bitty Baby. Those baby dolls are like $60.

message 10: by Caleb (new)

Caleb Melchior | 1 comments Not book-related, but following the discussion of Steaks'n'Cakes in this episode, I googled yelp reviews. Apparently, there are 2 unrelated locations - one halfway between LA & Phoenix, the other in Dallas (classic). Most recent review on Dallas location (https://www.yelp.com/biz/southside-st...) :
"You may see a crack head or 2, but my family & I love it! We stop by on the weekends when we're out late with our kids because it's open late. The food is great & the staff always nice"

Caleb wrote: ""You may see a crack head or 2, but my family & I love it! We stop by on the weekends when we're out late with our kids because it's open late. The food is great & the staff always nice" "

We're always happy to hear about Steaks N Cakes, and glad to hear that they open their doors to all, including those struggling with addiction!