Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Policies & Practices > What to do about fake books?

Comments (showing 1-7 of 7) (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by MarkusQ (new)

MarkusQ | 2 comments There are several hundred "books" listed on goodreads that are just hard copies of the corresponding Wikipedia pages (in some cases from several years ago) or other similar sources.
The books are available through Amazon's print on demand service for exorbitant prices ($10-$600) but nowhere can I see the provenance acknowledged; only by using Amazon's "look inside" feature and comparing the text with the corresponding Wikipedia pages, searching Project Gutenberg, etc. is the scam apparent.

It seems irresponsible to leave this unremarked, but I'm not sure what should be done. Should the books be deleted? Should a note be added to the description? Should the "author" be contacted and asked to substantiate their rights to the hundreds of thousands of pages of text they are claiming, or...?

https://www.goodreads.com/search?q=+P...+

message 2: by Jessica (new)

Jessica (decafjess) | 45 comments Whoa.

I picked one at random (The Multiverse - https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/2...) and looked into it. It is, quite literally, lifted Wikipedia articles without proper fair use attribution. As far as I can tell, you can use Wikipedia articels (even commercially) as long as you post attribution, but this is quite literally just a copy paste job of several Wikipedia articles.

I have no idea what that means for Amazon or Goodreads, just wanted to share that it's fishy to me, as well.

message 3: by Paula (last edited Jul 05, 2017 02:10PM) (new)

Paula (Paulaan) | 7019 comments They are considered published and not fake books by GR and should only be tidied up to meet GR book policies.

You can search on Wikipedia books in this group to see the numerous threads about them.

message 4: by Jessica (new)

Jessica (decafjess) | 45 comments I suppose that while it definitely violates CreateSpace and Amazon Direct policies, as long as they're still publishing them, they qualify for Goodreads.

☕ Lachgas ♿  (Lachgas) | 4888 comments and deleting them will just bring them back through a bot
and as they techically considered to be a book wo can't mark them as "not a book" - unfortunately.

message 6: by MarkusQ (new)

MarkusQ | 2 comments So deleting them isn't a good idea.

Is there any way to flag them? It bugs me to think that someone might get taken in by these scammers because they saw the books on Goodreads and from that assumed they were legit.

message 7: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (last edited Jul 05, 2017 04:57PM) (new)

rivka | 32155 comments Mod
Links to specific users (or their reviews) are not allowed in this group, and posts with such links will be deleted.

If you have concerns about a specific user or their reviews, please flag them or use the Contact Us link on the Help page.

Closing thread.

Edit: As explained, these are considered legitimate published works on Goodreads. If you have concerns about this policy, you also may wish to use the Contact Us link on the Help page.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.