Goodreads Feedback discussion

Suggestions & Questions > Audiobook update feature?

Comments (showing 1-11 of 11) (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Bea (last edited Jul 05, 2017 01:27PM) (new)

Bea Hi! My name is Bea and recently I've started listening to audiobooks. I would consider myself and avid GoodReader and I love using this website to keep my reading easier to keep track of. When I read books, I love to update my progress as I go along; it is nice to see the progression, if I lose my place I know where I last left off, and sometimes I just have comments that I'd like to write down.

This has been slightly more difficult as I've been reading audiobooks, as I am not sure how to update it correctly. The two ways you can update your progress is through page number and through percentage -- yet there is no way to update minutes/hours when reading an audiobook. So far, I've been calculating my percentage myself by hand; which, I can say, is one of the most first world problems I've ever encountered.

My suggestion to combat this issue would be to have a special feature for updating audiobooks -- one in which you would be able to put your place in second/minute/hour format, and where GoodReads would be able to calculate your percentage done automatically (as it does with normal books).

I, of course, am obviously fine with updating my percentage manually -- it's may be slightly annoying but the strong person I am is able to bear it. That is all, I suppose. Thanks for listening to my personal suggestion!

message 2: by Melanti (new)

Melanti Audiobook editions are supposed to have the number of hours rounded up listed as the number of pages. So you can fudge a bit and round off the number of hours you've completed and use that as the number of pages you've read.

It won't be 100% accurate but it's the closest you'd be able to get, unless/until Goodreads redoes their databases to let us specify total hours/minutes for audiobooks. Since Goodreads doesn't store that data right now, they can't base any calcs off of it.

message 3: by Empress (new)

Empress (The_Empress) Unfortunately Melanti is right. However I really think a separate "time" field should be added to the book edit page when choosing audio format. It is something all audiofiles would appreciate as it would make the above request possible and it will show that GR is adapting and accomodating.

In any case +1 for Bea's request and adding my own to change the way length for audiobooks is recorded.

message 4: by Melanti (new)

Melanti I'd be up for ANY updates to how hours are recorded or displayed for audiobooks.

Even if they didn't change the data at all and just did something simple like making the text dynamic so that when you were looking at a book page for an audio edition, it'd say "15 hours" instead of "15 pages", it would be a big improvement.

The average user just doesn't know that pages=hours for audiobooks, since it's not intuitive.

But, yes, if they do ever let us enter exact hours/minutes (which would be nice), Bea's suggestion would be a logical extension of that.

message 5: by Empress (new)

Empress (The_Empress) I really like that solution. One would think that changing pages to hours should not be that difficult. In any case +1 for that idea too.

As you are saying. ANY improvement would be good.

message 6: by Bea (new)

Bea So glad to hear from other people who feel the same way!! As they say, great minds think alike :)

message 7: by Random (new)

Random (rand0m1s) | 663 comments While I wouldn't track progress by time (there are a number of issues that make that difficult) it would be nice for Goodreads to be able to handle time instead of page count on audio books.

message 8: by Majo, Goodreads Expert (new)

Majo Pereira | 505 comments Mod
Thank you so much for your feedback.

Usually, the suggested workaround is to manually calculate the percentage to track your progress. We know this is not an ideal solution, and we hope to implement better tools for audiobook readers to track their progress in the future. I have already passed your feedback to our product team for their review, and we'll make sure to share any updates on this with the group!

message 9: by Bea (new)

Bea Majo wrote: "Thank you so much for your feedback.

Usually, the suggested workaround is to manually calculate the percentage to track your progress. We know this is not an ideal solution, and we hope to implem..."

Thanks so much, I really appreciate it. I'm so glad that I'm helping improve a website that I use so often. This is so cool!!

Dannie  *migraine in 5..4..3..* (Dannie_evans) | 855 comments Bea wrote: "Majo wrote: "Thank you so much for your feedback.

Usually, the suggested workaround is to manually calculate the percentage to track your progress. We know this is not an ideal solution, and we h..."

This has been asked for multiple times over the years.

message 11: by Majo, Goodreads Expert (new)

Majo Pereira | 505 comments Mod
Dannie *migraine in 5..4..3..* wrote: "This has been asked for multiple times over the years. "

It certainly has-- I added these additional requests to the original.