Play Book Tag discussion

Miss Lonelyhearts
This topic is about Miss Lonelyhearts
July 2017: Other Books > Miss Lonelyhearts by Nathanael West 3 stars

Comments (showing 1-3 of 3) (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Diane Zwang | 411 comments Miss Lonelyhearts by Nathanael West
3/5
Nathanael West was born in New York, went to college in New York and Miss Lonelyhearts takes place in New York during the great depression.

The introduction by Harold Bloom describes it as “modern American prose fiction”. The book is divided into 15 chapters, Bloom calls them tableaux. It starts with letters to Miss Lonelyhearts (a man) at the New York Post, letters of achingly difficult situations in which there is no right answer. The chapters Miss Lonelyhearts in the Dismal Swamp and Miss Lonelyhearts Attends a Party really brought the story together for me. “You are plunging into a world of misery and suffering, peopled by creatures who are strangers to everything but disease and policeman.” “Pain, pain, pain, the dull, sordid, gnawing, chronic pain of heart and brain.” Themes throughout the book are depression, drinking, sexual promiscuity, faith and religion. I can see why English Literature teachers love this book.

message 2: by Jen (new) - rated it 2 stars

Jen | 1586 comments Got to say, I did not really care for this book. Great review, almost makes me want to try it again.

Diane Zwang | 411 comments Jen wrote: "Got to say, I did not really care for this book. Great review, almost makes me want to try it again."

Yes I saw your 2 star review. For most of the book I felt it was 2 stars but by the middle of the book I had changed my mind.