The Sword and Laser discussion

Author Questions / AMAs > Questions for N.K. Jemisin

Comments (showing 1-18 of 18) (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Veronica, Supreme Sword (new)

Veronica Belmont (veronicabelmont) | 1494 comments Mod
We'll be talking to author N.K. Jemisin about her upcoming book The Stone Sky! Post any questions you have for her here!

message 2: by Matt (new)

Matt Ralph | 1 comments Is this part of the Broken Earth series? And, if so, is this the final instalment?

message 3: by Brendan (new)

Brendan (mistershine) | 891 comments Matt wrote: "Is this part of the Broken Earth series? And, if so, is this the final instalment?"

Yes and yes.

message 4: by Ryan (last edited Jul 05, 2017 11:08AM) (new)

Ryan Gage (ryangage) | 1 comments Can you discuss which TBE character has been the most challenging to write? Each of the cast is so unique in traits and personality, and the complexity of their individual story lines is fascinating. I'd like to hear about that process from NK Jemisin. Thank you for all of your outstanding work. Your series' are so enjoyable.

message 5: by Matthew (new)

Matthew Hubbard | 2 comments Do you have a release date?

message 6: by tabliclip (new)

tabliclip | 1 comments What motivated your choice of narrator/narrative perspective in TBE?

message 7: by Tommy (new)

Tommy Tribble | 1 comments I've heard many authors discuss the challenges of writing the second installment in a franchise. With your third volume on the horizon, can you speak to how challenging (or easy!) it was to write the conclusion of a trilogy? Thank you!

message 8: by Matthew (new)

Matthew Hubbard | 2 comments Has Essun had her last name change?

message 9: by Trike (new)

Trike | 4544 comments Are you going to talk your dad into doing one of your book covers?

message 10: by Silvana (new)

Silvana (silvaubrey) | 849 comments I love reading about female relationship in novels, either friends, sisters or mother-daughter like Essun and Nassun, which is very well-written and endearing. And we don't get lots of those in SFF novels. Are you planning to write more about female relationships?

message 11: by Travis (new)

Travis Foster (travismfoster) | 104 comments So exciting that you're doing this! I would love to hear a bit about her quarterly NY Times column reviewing new sci fi and fantasy releases: How does she select which books to feature? Does the Times Book Review's seeming bias against science fiction and fantasy influence how she pitches her arguments?

message 12: by John (new)

John (Agni4lisva) | 70 comments There is so much to love about the characters, the stories and story-arc and the world building in this series. This was one of a handful of series started by S&L that I have continued with.

I would like to know if she is considering writing any other stories set in this world?

message 13: by Rob, Roberator (new)

Rob (robzak) | 5075 comments Mod
You resisted quitting your day job for years, how has the transition to full time author been?

message 14: by Mary (new)

Mary (MaryBeougherAuthor) | 16 comments Brendan wrote: "Matt wrote: "Is this part of the Broken Earth series? And, if so, is this the final instalment?"

Yes and yes."

The Goodreads page shows 4 books for the series.

https://www.goodreads.com/series/1122...

message 15: by Rob, Roberator (new)

Maryb wrote: "Brendan wrote: "Matt wrote: "Is this part of the Broken Earth series? And, if so, is this the final instalment?"

Yes and yes."

The Goodreads page shows 4 books for the series.

https://www.goodr..."

The 4th entry appears to be a short story published in 2014. I believe it will indeed be a trilogy.

message 16: by Mary (new)

Mary (MaryBeougherAuthor) | 16 comments Good to know. I was on my phone at the time and didn't give it more than a glance. I could swear I've seen where she said it was going to be four parts. Maybe just wishful thinking on my part. :)

message 17: by Paulo (new)

Paulo Limp (paulolimp) | 153 comments What is the story behind you ending up writing a novel within the Mass Effect universe? How was the experience of writing a novel under the constraints of a pre-existing universe designed by others? And finally, when will the book be released?

(Love your books, by the way) ;-)

message 18: by Rob, Roberator (new)

Looks like the interview has been concluded fyi.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Stone Sky (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

N.K. Jemisin (other topics)