Goodreads Feedback discussion

Bugs > Giveaways Bug - 'Currently Open' Issues

Comments (showing 1-11 of 11) (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (Booktrovert) | 860 comments hello!

i noticed this a while ago and forgot to mention it -- just encountered it again, so thought i would let you know.

in the giveaway space, i have noticed that the giveaway date does not reflect accurately in whether a listing is 'open'.

for example:

https://www.goodreads.com/giveaway/cr...

as you can see, many of the giveaways open july 11th, and a couple on july 6th, yet show on this main page as "(currently open) " if you click through on any one them, they are, in fact, closed and note when they open for entries.

thanks for investigating.

message 2: by Faith (last edited Jul 05, 2017 12:55PM) (new)

Faith | 1170 comments The first book on the list is currently open in the US. Maybe it doesn't open in Canada until the 11th.

message 3: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (Booktrovert) | 860 comments Faith wrote: "The first book on the list is currently open in the US. Maybe it doesn't open in the US until the 11th."

using celeste ng's as an example, it doesn't open in canada until the 11th, which is where i am located, and how the giveaway is noted when i access it.

and it's the same for the other books i am wondering about with this peculiarity.

the link i provided in my initial post are noted for CA only, from the Canadian publisher in the example, penguin random house canada.

hmm?

message 4: by Faith (new)

Faith | 1170 comments Jennifer wrote: "Faith wrote: "The first book on the list is currently open in the US. Maybe it doesn't open in the US until the 11th."

using celeste ng's as an example, it doesn't open in canada until the 11th, w..."

I edited my post, I meant Canada in the second sentence.

message 5: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (Booktrovert) | 860 comments Faith wrote: "I edited my post, I meant Canada in the second sentence. "

no worries - i understood what you meant. :)

i guess my thought, though, is that the giveaways are in canada, from the canadian-based publisher, and not the us-based arm of PRH, and are separate from the US giveaways (created by totally different offices and fulfilled by totally different offices). so the open or closed bit should be accurate and not showing open when it's really not, yet.

i've entered contests here on GR for years, canadian-based giveaways, and this open/closed issue is fairly recent-ish. i just forgot to mention in.

message 6: by Jaclyn, Goodreads Expert (new)

Jaclyn Woods (Jaclyn_Woods) | 3712 comments Mod
Thanks for pointing this out. I've filed a report for our engineers' attention.

message 7: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (Booktrovert) | 860 comments Jaclyn wrote: "Thanks for pointing this out. I've filed a report for our engineers' attention."

thank you so much for taking that action, jaclyn! :)

message 8: by Jaclyn, Goodreads Expert (new)

You're so welcome! I'll be sure to let you know of any updates in this thread.

message 9: by Jennifer (last edited Mar 22, 2018 05:48AM) (new)

Jennifer (Booktrovert) | 860 comments Jaclyn wrote: "You're so welcome! I'll be sure to let you know of any updates in this thread."

just thought i would check in on this issue. browsing a publisher's giveaways page this morning, and i see the bug is still a problem. (browsing a different publisher than in my original post, but still a canadian-based publisher.)

https://www.goodreads.com/giveaway/cr...

you can see here that entry periods that have not yet begun are showing as 'currently open'

two examples:

Half Moon Bay by Alice LaPlante
25 books, giveaway open from March 29 - April 29, 2018 (currently open)
0 people entered

The Simple Wild: A Novel by K.A. Tucker
20 books, giveaway open from April 04 - April 24, 2018 (currently open)
0 people entered

message 10: by Jaclyn, Goodreads Expert (new)

No update yet, unfortunately! I'm using your new examples to raise this again with the team.

message 11: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (Booktrovert) | 860 comments Jaclyn wrote: "No update yet, unfortunately! I'm using your new examples to raise this again with the team."

thanks, jaclyn. i hope they can find time to work on the problem.