Play Book Tag discussion

July 2017: Award Winners > The Girl Who Drank the Moon by Kelly Barnhill (4 stars)

Comments (showing 1-4 of 4) (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jen (new)

Jen | 1586 comments Every year the Protectorate sacrifices the youngest born in the village as a sacrifice to the witch in the forest. Each year this baby is left in a clearing in the forest as a sacrifice for the town's protection. However, unbeknownst to the town's people, there is not witch demanding sacrifices. Instead there is a good witch, Xan who rescues babies left out by the town. She carries them off to a nearby city and feeds them starlight on the way. These babies grow up and are known as the star children and are raised in loving homes. One year, Xan becomes distracted and feeds a young girl moonlight instead of starlight. By making this mistake she accidentally turns the girl into a magical being like herself. The rest of the book follows the fate of the girl, Xan, and the town.

This is a cute fairy tale-esque story with witches, bog monsters, and a perfectly tiny dragon. There are also evil or dark characters and a quest to save the future of the town. The book won the Newbury Medal this year. I really enjoyed it and it's one of the books that I plan to read to my daughter in the next few years. It was lovely and a fun, touching read that highlights the value of family and friends.

message 2: by Anita (new)

Anita Pomerantz | 4755 comments Sounds sweet - - what is the target age range would you say for this one? Always on the lookout for gift ideas for my nieces . . .

message 3: by Jen (new)

Jen | 1586 comments Hmm, I'm not sure. I think a fairly wide range since I enjoyed it too! I am reading it with E who is 6.5 year old now. That's probably too young. My daughter is an advanced reader and we've made it through 3 Harry Potter books but it may be a bit dark for her. Maybe 9+?

message 4: by Jen (new)

Jen | 1586 comments I forgot to mention that I do think this deserved the Newbery medal. It's destined to be a classic. Well written, creative, and lots of good messaging for kids