Linda Howard Book Junkies discussion

All The Pretty Girls (Taylor Jackson, #1)
This topic is about All The Pretty Girls
note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Archive > July's Non-Linda BOTM-All the Pretty Girls by JT Ellison

Comments (showing 1-14 of 14) (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Dee (new) - rated it 2 stars

Dee Sauter (InDeathAddict) | 40 comments Some secrets should stay buried.

When a local girl falls prey to a sadistic serial killer, Nashville Homicide Lieutenant Taylor Jackson and her lover, FBI profiler Dr. John Baldwin, find themselves in a joint investigation pursuing a vicious murderer. The Southern Strangler is slaughtering his way through the Southeast, leaving a gruesome memento at each crime scene -- the prior victim's severed hand.

Ambitious TV reporter Whitney Connolly is certain the Southern Strangler is her ticket out of Nashville; she's got a scoop that could break the case. She has no idea how close this story really is -- or what it will cost her.

As the killer spirals out of control, everyone involved must face a horrible truth -- that the purest evil is born of private lies.

message 2: by Dee (new) - rated it 2 stars

Dee Sauter (InDeathAddict) | 40 comments I will put this on hold tonight.

message 3: by Dee (new) - rated it 2 stars

Dee Sauter (InDeathAddict) | 40 comments I am about half way through with this book and it is interesting, but for some reason I am not all that into it. Is anyone else reading it? I would like some different opinions.

Jonetta (Ejaygirl) | 308 comments I read this some time ago and had the same issue, Dee. One of my problems was the feeling that I was dropped into the middle of these characters. Already established relationships weren't adequately fleshed out. I didn't walk away with a sense that I knew who they were. It's my understanding the author fixes this later.

message 5: by Eve (last edited Jul 21, 2017 06:55AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Eve (EveRF) | 729 comments Sadly I was pretty dissapointed with this one. At first it was okay but somehow the writing style turned me off soon and I just rushed through.
Like Jonetta I felt that I was dropped into the middle...like I had missed something important about the main characters, they weren't well fleshed out and no build up.

Jonetta (Ejaygirl) | 308 comments Eve, some people are plot driven readers and others character driven. I need both. These characters were just cardboard cutouts for me and not because they didn't have substance. The author didn't, as you say, flesh them out. She just told us details.

Taylor and John Baldwin are in a relationship but I couldn't figure out what made them work. That's really odd for me.

message 7: by Dee (new) - rated it 2 stars

Dee Sauter (InDeathAddict) | 40 comments That is kind of what I felt. I kept thinking did we pick this up in the middle of a series? When I would get to a computer I was already off the subject so I didn't check. Jonetta, cardboard cutouts is a good description of the characters. I want to finish to book (already know who the killer is, but I want to see how we get to him getting caught.) Also for the life of me I can't understand what the Rainman rapist and Terrance Norton (the criminal that was found innocent in 45 minutes and who the ADA believes the jury, witnesses or judge was paid off) has to do with the book.

message 8: by Dee (new) - rated it 2 stars

Dee Sauter (InDeathAddict) | 40 comments Just finished the book and I was sorely disappointed. I kept thinking throughout the whole ordeal why didn't the police or the FBI didn't look at surveillance tapes. I understand that the book was written 10 years ago, and maybe in some spots there wasn't some tapes, like a person's home, but really one girl was taken outside of a library. One was killed inside a seedy motel. The FBI never even asked if there was tapes. Once they found out the culprit was writing the poems inside an internet cafe, and they had to rely on a girl ogling the creep. Too many wholes in this book!

message 10: by CD {Boulder Blvd} (last edited Jul 24, 2017 03:39PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

CD {Boulder Blvd} (BoulderBlvd) | 1032 comments Book #8, Field of Graves, works as a prequel to this book and really helps on character development. Without it I would have felt dropped in the middle as well. And although I enjoyed Book #8 which I read first, I had a lot of issues with this one.

Jonetta (Ejaygirl) | 308 comments Thanks for that input, CD. I've got the book on hold at the library and will make certain I read it before any others.

message 12: by Dee (new) - rated it 2 stars

Dee Sauter (InDeathAddict) | 40 comments Thanks CD. It is a shame that I have to read book 8 before I read book 1.

CD {Boulder Blvd} (BoulderBlvd) | 1032 comments If I remember right, the author actually wrote book#8 first, but it didn't get published. So she went back and polished it up and improved it after she became a successful author.

message 14: by Dee (new) - rated it 2 stars

Dee Sauter (InDeathAddict) | 40 comments and All the Pretty Girls got published first? I don't think much about the publisher.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.