1790- 1900 Literature and Sir Walter Scott Appreciation discussion

Count Robert of Paris > week 3: chapter 11-15

Comments (showing 1-9 of 9) (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Tracey (new)

Tracey (Traceyrb) | 389 comments Mod
Thoughts on Count Robert and his countess

message 2: by Lori (new)

Lori Goshert (Lori_Laleh) | 62 comments She is an interesting character and their relationship is interesting. Nice to see that Count Robert appreciates a strong woman.

message 3: by Tracey (new)

Lori wrote: "She is an interesting character and their relationship is interesting. Nice to see that Count Robert appreciates a strong woman."

Is any of this based on truth? Was there a count Robert of Paris?

message 4: by Lori (new)

Lori Goshert (Lori_Laleh) | 62 comments It says in the wikipedia entry for the book that "Count Robert was an actual but minor historical figure who..."

The rest of the quote may be a spoiler since I don't remember in which chapter the incident happened. Here's the link if you've finished the book or don't mind spoilers:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Count_R...

message 5: by Lori (new)

Lori Goshert (Lori_Laleh) | 62 comments He doesn't have his own wikipedia page and I can't find any other information about him, or whether Brenhilda was based on his real wife or another historical woman.

message 6: by Tracey (new)

Lori wrote: "He doesn't have his own wikipedia page and I can't find any other information about him, or whether Brenhilda was based on his real wife or another historical woman."

Thanks for looking into that.

message 7: by Rosemarie (new)

Rosemarie | 310 comments Mod
When I saw the name Brenhilda, I couldn't help thinking of the mighty Brunnhilde from The Ring of the Nibelungs by Wagner.
The emperor made a funny comment about his son-in-law's ways to Agelastes, saying he pitied him for having to listen to Anna histories every night.

message 8: by Rosemarie (new)

Rosemarie | 310 comments Mod
Why didn't Robert listen to the warning of Behemond? He drank the wine and paid the price.

message 9: by Tracey (new)

Rosemarie wrote: "Why didn't Robert listen to the warning of Behemond? He drank the wine and paid the price."

Interesting comment, but not an unusual response. Throughout history monarchs have been known to ignore the advice of lesser mortals and pay the price; something of a God complex maybe.