Play Book Tag discussion

The Shark Club
This topic is about The Shark Club
July 2017: Other Books > The Shark Club by Ann Kidd Taylor -- 4 stars

Comments (showing 1-5 of 5) (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Nicole R (DrNicoleR) | 3753 comments The Shark Club by Ann Kidd Taylor
4 stars

The main female character in this book is a shark biologist. I think we all know why I picked this up! lol.

Maeve travels the world as a shark biologist. She is finishing up a stint in Belize with the wonderfully attractive ray biologist Nicholas, and returns home to Florida where her grandmother and twin brother run a resort. She loves being home, but soon realizes that the love of her life Daniel is also back in town, and it is the first time she has seen him since he broke her heart nearly seven years ago. His circumstances have changed, but luckily Maeve is distracted by a precocious six-year-old who loves sharks and thinks that Maeve is the most awesome person alive! Throw in a shark finning mystery and I was hooked from page one!

I could not stop listening to this book, but it was mainly for the adorable Hazel who I could totally relate to as I was also a kid who would have started a shark club! I also loved that Maeve was 30, had her PhD, and was doing awesome research around the world. YES!

But, then the story devolved a bit into a love triangle. Maeve was stuck between Nicholas and Daniel, and it wasn't even that tension-filled. The relationships were a bit of a slog, actually. The one aspect that could have really anchored the story more was Maeve's twin's novel (view spoiler).

Even despite that, it was cute, entertaining, and a good listen. A great beach read for the hot summer months!

message 2: by Booknblues (new)

Booknblues | 1879 comments Nicole R wrote: "I could not stop listening to this book, but it was mainly for the adorable Hazel who I could totally relate to as I was also a kid who would have started a shark club! I also loved that Maeve was 30, had her PhD, and was doing awesome research around the world. YES!"

I am thrilled to learn that you love sharks at an early age. We have a boy in our preschool who is so into sharks and especially hammerhead sharks . When he was three years old he could draw a very recognizable hammerhead shark and would watch all kinds of videos about them.

and then 2 years ago he was in a very bad car accident, he was in a coma for several days and received brain damage so he can no longer draw as well, but he still loves sharks and watches videos about them. He is beginning to get many of his skills back and perhaps in time he will be an oceanographer specializing in shark behavior.

Nicole R (DrNicoleR) | 3753 comments Awww, that is sad that he was in an accident :( But I am glad he is getting better and his love of sharks remains! I hope he does become a world famous oceanographer ;)

I loved anything that had to do with the oceans. I loved sharks but was especially enamored with whales, particularly orcas. Man, I was obsessed! Still am a bit even though I do not study them officially.

message 4: by Booknblues (new)

Booknblues | 1879 comments Nicole R wrote: "Awww, that is sad that he was in an accident :( But I am glad he is getting better and his love of sharks remains! I hope he does become a world famous oceanographer ;)

I loved anything that had t..."

He and his mom, who is an assistant teacher at our school had a tough go of it. But he is a very determined little guy so it could happen.

Interesting that you were so drawn to ocean critters as a kid.

Nicole R (DrNicoleR) | 3753 comments I think I was so drawn to the oceans because they were so mysterious to a kid in Missouri.

As I think you know, my brother was in an accident as a teenager that left him paralyzed. Things like that definitely change your life but life does go on and you can be amazed at what is still accomplished. Medicine and technology is amazing these days! I hope he continues to improve and keeps a determined and positive attitude--that is stronger than any medicine!!