Play Book Tag discussion

Eleanor Oliphant Is Completely Fine
June 2017: Coming of Age > Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine by Gail Honeyman -- 5 stars + ♥

Comments (showing 1-7 of 7) (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Nicole R (last edited Jul 04, 2017 05:53PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Nicole R (DrNicoleR) | 3641 comments Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine by Gail Honeyman
5 stars + ♥

Definitely a contender for this year's Top 10!

Eleanor Oliphant is a little...off. She lives a solitary, set-in-her-way life and very much sees things in black and white. At first reading, she seems to be on the high functioning end of the spectrum, but as her life and childhood are slowly revealed, you realize that there is much more to her story.

Eleanor randomly helping her co-worker Raymond as he helps an elderly stranger opens her world to new people and experiences. Things she reluctantly, and matter-of-factly, deals with.

Eleanor was completely charming. I just adored her. I laughed, I cried, I cheered for her, and I wanted to shake some sense into her! But, as much as I was charmed by Eleanor, I fell in love with Raymond, the amazingly kind and selfless person who befriends Eleanor for reasons we never really find out...but I think he simply recognized someone in need of a friend.

I also listened to this on audio and it was the icing on the cake as the narrator perfectly embodied Eleanor's no-nonsense mindset and almost childlike naiveté about life.

Highly recommend!

message 2: by Denizen (new)

Denizen (Den13) | 1168 comments I read a review from NY Times earlier today. Your review just moved it from my books-to-watch list to my TBR.

Susie Amiatu | 3069 comments Oh yay! I'm just starting it today!

Nicole R (DrNicoleR) | 3641 comments Denizen -- great! I really enjoyed it and hope you do too.

Susie -- I can't wait to see what you think! Are you reading or listening?

Susie Amiatu | 3069 comments Reading. Kids are on holidays so my listening is minimal for the next few weeks.

message 6: by Ladyslott (last edited Jul 05, 2017 02:14PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ladyslott | 1897 comments The library wait list is so loooong, so will probably get the audio since you liked it so much. But I have 2 audios I need to listen to first.

Nicole R (DrNicoleR) | 3641 comments Ladyslott wrote: "The library wait list is so loooong, so will probably get the audio since you liked it so much. But I have 2 audios I need to listen to first."

When you do get to it, it is a pretty quick read. I hope you enjoy it!