Play Book Tag discussion

The Outsiders
This topic is about The Outsiders
July 2017: Award Winners > The Outsiders - S.E. Hinton - 5 stars

Comments (showing 1-3 of 3) (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Kelly | 407 comments This book was written by S.E. Hinton when she was in high school in Tulsa, Oklahoma. It is amazing that she wrote this that young and it still holds up today as a favorite novel for so many. The story is told from the point of view of 14 year old Ponyboy Curtis. It is written as he would talk, making his story seem realistic.

Ponyboy's parents have died and he lives with his two older brothers, Sodapop and Darry. They are all part of a group knows as Greasers; their rivals are the better off kids in town know as the Socs, which is short for Socials. One altercations between the two groups resulted in a member of the Greasers, Johnny, having to save Ponyboy from a Socs drowning him. While defending Ponyboy, Johnny kills the Socs member with a knife. The two Greases runaway and later save a group of young children from a burning building. The story shows the differences of the Greasers and the Socs. However, it also tells that maybe the Socs do have troubles that the Greasers did not see, and perhaps they can have good qualities. The readers sees how Ponyboy deals with this and other obstacles resulting from it. I can certainly see why this book is viewed so highly.

Diane Zwang | 410 comments I read this when my son read it for school. I enjoyed it. I was also impressed with the writing of a young girl. We watched the movie together too. It was fun going down memory lane.

Anita Pomerantz | 4755 comments I loved this book when I read it as a child, but I had no idea Hinton wrote it as a teenager . . . I guess that's a great example of "write what you know."