Play Book Tag discussion

June 2017: Coming of Age > Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants by Ann Brashares - 4 stars

Comments (showing 1-4 of 4) (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Barbara (new)

Barbara M (Barbara-M) | 1027 comments Four young girls have been friends since birth, before that if you count their mothers' pregnancies when they got together at the local gym discovering that they were due at the same time. They each had a girl born end of August and beginning September. The mothers remained friends for a while but the girls remained friends into their teens.

The summer of this story is the first time they will not be spending their summer together. Each one of them has somewhere else they need to be, except Tibby who will be working her first job. As they prepare for their summer apart, they go to a second-hand store and find a pair of used denim jeans that fit each of the very different body types and they each look good - are these magic? The girls form the Sisterhood and make rules about the sharing of these pants throughout the summer.

The story follows each girl through life-changing events that summer. The story is very good and the audio is quite excellent. This young adult story does an excellent job describing the growth of these nearly 16 year old girls through the summer and, in some cases their romance, without getting into descriptive areas that have been challenged in recent years at public schools and libraries. For instance, we never know what Bridget went through with her heartthrob at the soccer camp but we know it was somewhat traumatic. Tibby's story, in particular, was heart-breaking and beautiful.

message 2: by Nicole R (new)

Nicole R (DrNicoleR) | 3643 comments I loved this book! But, honestly, the second book was my favorite of the four-book series. So, pick up the next one ;)

message 3: by Karin (new)

Karin | 3099 comments Nicole R wrote: "I loved this book! But, honestly, the second book was my favorite of the four-book series. So, pick up the next one ;)"

I think the second one was better, too. I read several of these as I recall.

message 4: by Barbara (new)

Barbara M (Barbara-M) | 1027 comments OK, I've put the second one on my TBR, lets hope we get a tag it will fit soon!