The Evolution of Science Fiction discussion

Non Sci-Fi > Free Audiobook Download Site

Comments (showing 1-3 of 3) (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by PSXtreme (new)

PSXtreme For those of you interested, I discovered a rather interesting site for d/ling free audiobooks. These titles are all in the public domain, so piracy isn't an issue. The main site, which includes much, much more than just PD audiobooks is https://archive.org and the audiobook specific section is https://archive.org/details/librivoxa... . They have some rather interesting old school authors including; Lester del Ray, Garrett P. Serviss, Jules Verne, Kurt Vonnegut, Edgar Rice Burroughs, H. Beam Piper, H. G. Wells...etc. etc. etc. The Librivox audiobook section is enough to die for if you are interested in classic (I'm not talking 1980 classic...more like 1920-1950 classic) Sci-Fi authors. I've found a TON of stories that were originally released in magazines that you'll never find in the real world recreated into audiofiles free for downloading.

For those of you with i-Pods, you just have to click the Librivox Apple Audiobook link and it will shoot it right to your i-Tunes...no fuss...no muss...no messy cleanup on aisle 3.

They also have a section where you can d/l newer copywrite-still-active books (limit 5 at a time) just like a regular library, once again free of charge.

Check it out if you are interested...and happy reading!

message 2: by Leo (new)

Leo | 263 comments Thanks, I didn't try it, but can see it has both our month's reads --where my own library had none! And I had a lot of trouble of finding Galapagos. --great--!

message 3: by Jim (new)

Jim (JimMacLachlan) | 1452 comments Mod
If you use Gutenberg.org, you'll find their audio versions of books also connect to the Librivox site. That's sometimes an easier way of finding them, although I love Archive.org which has all sorts of public domain media that you can download directly or through a torrent plus watch right online. I watched part of "Attack of the Giant Leeches" there the other day.

I use the torrents for the Old Time Radio programs like Jimmy Stewart in "The Six Shooter" or "X Minus One" since getting all the episodes is a large file. Check back occasionally if they don't have all the episodes & there will often be more. I struggled to get the X Minus One episodes for years & finally someone uploaded them all a couple of years ago.

There's a lot of other good audio like speeches or single radio broadcasts are best downloaded directly, though. There are a lot of interesting ones by politicians, newscasters, & even people like Ayn Rand. Her West Point address is on there.

If you do use Librivox, listen to a preview to check the narrator first. Mark Nelson is very good (He narrates a lot of Edgar Rice Burroughs & other old SF.) but they vary a lot in quality. They're volunteers & some are just awful. I appreciate the time they spent, but just can't listen for long. The "This is a free Librivox recording" pops up often enough to become an irritant.

Anyway, glad to see you found the sites. They're great, if too easy to spend too much time on.