Mystery/Thriller Reading Friends discussion

Monthly "Reads" > Melodie's June 2017 Reads

Comments (showing 1-10 of 10) (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Melodie (new)

Melodie (MelodieCO) | 3159 comments 8 books for the month, some good, some just OK.

Cracked to Death (A Webb's Glass Shop Mystery, #3) by Cheryl HollonCracked to Death by Cheryl Hollon: 3rd in Webb's Glass Shop series and the last for me. Not a bad mystery, though there were a few continuity problems. What really turned me off is the way a couple of overweight characters were portrayed. Won't bother with more in the series. Grade: 4

Assault & Beret (Hat Shop Mystery, #5) by Jenn McKinlayAssault & Beret by Jenn McKinlay: 5th and final Hat Shop series and not as good as others. This one takes place away from the usual London locale. Viv & Scarlett are in Paris while Viv teaches hat making classes. Scarlett's there to find Viv's husband, whom she abandoned shortly after marrying him. Viv has annulment papers, but once she's reunited with the man she abandoned she may find that's not what she really wants at all. The mystery seemed to be a bit of an afterthought. Not what I expected as an ending to the series, but if you've read the other books you'll want to read this one. Grade: 5.5

Gwendy's Button Box by Stephen KingGwendy's Button Box by Stephen King & Richard Chizmar: while I thought it was quite obvious this was written by 2 people, it took nothing away from my enjoyment of the story. In the summer of 1974, 12-year-old Gwendy meets "the man in the hat" while on one of her daily "stair" climbs. He gives her a "box" that can do interesting things. Gwendy's relationship with the box over the years is somewhat contentious. Does the box have the power over her life she thinks it does? Grade: 8.5

A Dangerous Place (Maisie Dobbs, #11) by Jacqueline WinspearA Dangerous Place by Jacqueline Winspear: 11th in Maisie Dobbs series and the first I've read! I've been on an historical kick recently and the description of this book on Amazon caught my interest. I really never felt like I was missing anything by jumping into the series here and was able to follow quite well. This was a very good story. Maisie is on her way back to England after having lost her husband and child and stops off in Gibraltar. There she comes across a murder victim, shortly after the crime has taken place. She becomes involved in the case which is very much rooted in the Spanish Civil war that is raging at the time. Have just started the next in the series. Grade: 8.5

Design for Dying (Lillian Frost & Edith Head, #1) by Renee PatrickDesign for Dying by Renee Patrick: 1st in Lillian Frost/Edith Head series and a fun read. There were some holes in the plot but it was still an engaging tale. Edith Head was a great character and we have meetups with several more "real" characters, including Bob Hope and Barbara Stanwyck. Grade: 7

Exit Strategy (Nick Mason, #2) by Steve HamiltonExit Strategy by Steve Hamilton: 2nd Nick Mason and we all know how I felt about the first one! I won this in a giveaway on Facebook or never would have read it. Took forever to read and we'll just say I didn't like it any better than the first one, not better than 2.5 stars at best. Will be sitting back here waiting on the next Alex McKnight. Grade: 4.5

Mrs. Roosevelt’s Confidante (Maggie Hope Mystery, #5) by Susan Elia MacNealMrs. Roosevelt’s Confidante by Susan Elia MacNeal: 5th Maggie Hope series and, again, the first I've read. Maggie is a special agent and code breaker for the British and accompanies Churchill to the US shortly after Pearl Harbor posing as his secretary. One of Eleanor Roosevelt's personal assistant is mysteriously murdered and Maggie gets drawn into Eleanor's inner circle to help solve the case. Enjoyed it! Grade: 8

Camino Island by John GrishamCamino Island by John Grisham. Grisham seldom disappoints, but he did with this one. The stuff about the heist and how they pulled it off was interesting, but it went down hill for me quickly after that. I think we were supposed to root for the bookstore owner, but I wasn't crazy about him and really didn't like Mercer. Didn't read like Grisham to me. Grade: 4

message 2: by Amy (new)

Amy | 1238 comments Good month Melodie

message 3: by Ann (new)

Ann (AnnRumsey) | 10940 comments Nice list Melodie!
I'm not surprised you liked Maisie Dobbs, you have some good reading ahead of you! I've wondered about other historical series books, the Maggie Hope series sounds interesting.
I am going to give the new Nick Mason book a whirl this week. I didn't love the first book either but will see how this one Exit Strategy goes too. I am also ready for another Alex McKnight.
Boo about Camino Island.

message 4: by Sandi (new)

Sandi (sandin954) | 966 comments Too bad about Camino Island. I had the audio version on hold but won't hurry to get to it.

I've enjoyed the Maisie Dobbs series too, but have not read or listened to one in a few years.

message 5: by Ann (new)

Ann (AnnRumsey) | 10940 comments Oh and yes, wasn't Gwendy's Button Box a treat!
I was also curious as I read (listened) about which parts were attributed to the two authors. The explanation of how that came about was interesting. The audio had a conversation between Stephen King and Richard Chizmar where SK mentioned they are friends (email pals) and he (King) had a story he couldn't finish. He sent it to Richard and said it would be a collaboration if he could finish it.

message 6: by Merrilee in AZ (new)

Merrilee in AZ | 981 comments I won't be reading the Nick Mason book, hated the first one. I'll wait for Alex.

message 7: by Ann (new)

Ann (AnnRumsey) | 10940 comments NR Exit Strategy
I'm about 30% in and it's not terrible. ;) i didn't love the first one, but didn't hate it. The jury is still out; depending on developments that appear to be leaning in a direction. As they say, "your mileage may vary".
Merrilee in AZ wrote: "I won't be reading the Nick Mason book, hated the first one. I'll wait for Alex."

message 8: by Dan in AZ (new)

Dan in AZ | 2217 comments Still a good month even with a couple that didn't thrill you.

message 9: by Susie (new)

Susie Fevella (SusieinKS) | 1326 comments Nice selection Melodie! I think I have a Hat Shop book somewhere in my Kindle :)

message 10: by Carol/Bonadie (new)

Carol/Bonadie (Bonadie) | 6423 comments I echo all of Ann's points about Winspear (I'm almost caught up), the Maggie Hope series and Steve Hamilton's latest, which is on my TBR. You mixed it up quite a bit this month!

I like Camino Island a bit more than most everyone here who has posted so far. I said a bit under JF/NR thread, and will say more in my monthly summary at the end of July.