The Anna & Eric Book Club discussion

Laura Ruby
This topic is about Laura Ruby
Bone Gap

Comments (showing 1-3 of 3) (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Eric (last edited Jul 04, 2017 09:35AM) (new)

Eric Anderson (LonesomeReader) | 15 comments Mod
Bone Gap
Everyone knows Bone Gap is full of gaps - gaps to trip you up, gaps to slide through so you can disappear forever. So when young, beautiful Roza goes missing, the people of Bone Gap aren't surprised. After all, it isn't the first time someone's slipped away and left Finn and Sean O'Sullivan on their own.

Finn knows that's not what happened with Roza. He knows she was taken, ripped from the cornfields by a man whose face he can't remember. But no one believes him anymore. Well, almost no one. Petey Willis, the beekeeper's daughter, suspects that lurking behind Finn's fearful shyness is a story worth uncovering. But as we, like Petey, follow the stories of Finn, Roza, and the people of Bone Gap - their melancholy pasts, their terrifying presents, their uncertain futures - the truth about what happened to Roza is slowly revealed. And it is stranger than you can possibly imagine.

Let us know your thoughts about this book plus any questions, reactions or topics of discussion you'd like us to talk about in the book club video we'll record together.

Mimi (a.k.a Ellen) (MimiLovesToKnit) | 10 comments I started this one as I do love a good Persephone myth. I got a bit nervous with the description of her captivity in the same way as I couldn't read Room, although Emma Donoghue is one of my favorite authors. may move on to the Heart is a muscle now. it's a busy time for me so may take the challenge of bones later. was not sure what order you were going in so will.just read what I can : )

message 3: by Amy (new)

Amy Vickers | 6 comments I wish I had more to say about this brilliant book. Every aspect of the story vibrates and those vibrations resonate other parts of the story. Plus, her metaphors came alive to me.

When I started the book, I had no idea that it was magical realism and I loved the way the magic creeps into the story. This is especially provocative because her depiction of small town life is so real that it gave me shivers. I felt like I lived in Bone Gap and then when she weaves the magic into the story, that realness gives the magic legitimacy, like it is a legend in the making.

I love the way she handles the theme of perception. How do we honor our own perceptions? How do we accept ourselves for how we experience things? How do we honor the perceptions of others, even when they’re different? How are our perceptions altered once we get new information?