County of L&A Libraries - Online Book Club discussion

July 2017 > What new CanLit book will you read this month?

Comments (showing 1-11 of 11) (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Catherine (new)

Catherine Coles (ccoles) | 82 comments I intend to read The Last Neanderthal, which has been getting a lot of buzz lately. I loved the author's previous book The Bear

The Last Neanderthal was also the subject of a recent L&A Library Staff Pick written by Laura: https://www.lennox-addington.on.ca/ne...

message 2: by Chrystal (new)

Chrystal (chrystalm) | 2 comments I hadn't heard about this book, but I did love The Bear.

I'll be reading Until It Fades by KA Tucker.

message 3: by Karen (new)

Karen | 112 comments Crying for the moon sounds good - think I'll give that a try!

message 4: by Patricia (new)

Patricia | 24 comments I'm currently reading Summer in the City by Marie-Louise Gay and David Homel and The Goat by Anne Fleming to my kids both are interesting reads for the 6-12 group.

message 5: by Jean (new)

Jean (jeanbcr) | 36 comments I am going to read "Fifty Years Honouring Canadians. the Order of Canada, 1967-2017." by Christopher McCreery.

message 6: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer | 29 comments I recently read "Boundless: Tracing Land and Dream in a New Northwest Passage." It was a disappointing read. Initially, I enjoyed her introspection and use of metaphor. By the time I got to the picture inserts halfway through the book, I realized that was all it had to offer. It felt too self-referential and focussed on form, not substance. As a traveller on a ship making its way to various ports up North, Winters could have delved into the perspectives of the many experts also on board set to explore the region, but had little interest in anything but her own reflections.

I also read "Sea Change" by Frank Viva and strongly recommend it as a junior fiction book set in the East Coast. It is a compelling story about a young boy who is sent by his mom to experience the Maritime summer with his relatives who live by the sea. He faces real struggles as he finds his sea legs and makes some friends. The plot is well-developed, the characters are believable, and the twist offers a great moral.

message 7: by Kelly (new)

Kelly | 18 comments I'm going to try Scarborough by Catherine Hernandez.
Hernandez has written plays, and a children's book previously.

She still lives in Scarborough

message 8: by Patricia (new)

Patricia | 24 comments Just finished One Brother Shy by Terry Fallis. Loved it and will suggest it to many patrons. I really enjoy his humour and story telling. It is also fantastic that his books have appeal for everyone.

message 9: by Catherine (new)

Catherine Coles (ccoles) | 82 comments Jean wrote: "I am going to read "Fifty Years Honouring Canadians. the Order of Canada, 1967-2017." by Christopher McCreery."

If you are interested in the Order of Canada, you should also try They Desire a Better Country/Ils Desirent Une Patrie Meilleure by Lawrence Scanlan. We'll actually be hosting the author at a November event in partnership with the County Museum & Archives!

message 10: by Catherine (new)

Catherine Coles (ccoles) | 82 comments Kelly wrote: "I'm going to try Scarborough by Catherine Hernandez.
Hernandez has written plays, and a children's book previously.

She still lives in Scarborough"

I've been meaning to read this one! Also looking forward to reading Brother by David Chariandy, which is also set in Scarborough. Similar subject matter.

message 11: by Jean (new)

Jean (jeanbcr) | 36 comments Thanks for the recommendation of "They Desire a Better Country". Sounds upbeat, I look forward to reading it,