Animal Book Club discussion

Dog and Cat Rescue

Comments (showing 1-7 of 7) (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Diane (new)

Diane Meier (goodreadscomDEMeier) | 12 comments I often talk to people who like to tell the story of how they rescued their cat or dog. Some folks went to shelter and some took in a stray. I love these stories about people reaching out with love to a homeless animal.

I think it's unfortunate that people sometimes focus on how an animal got "dumped." I don't like the word dumped. It's applied to people sometimes, too. And a person experiencing heartache might even say "I was dumped." But actually few people want to admit that they might have been the dumpee (is that a word?). I think most of us like to say that things just didn't work out for this or that reason.

That's what happens with pets who need new homes. For some reason, things didn't work out. A person died or there was some disaster in the person's life, like losing a home. Regardless of the situation, I like to think of it as a second chance for the dog or cat to find a good person who will love unconditionally.

Counting up my dogs over four decades, I had:

- Barney and Zoe, who lost their homes in a divorce

- Simba, who came to me from a relative, and

- Herschel, Reba, Baxter, Pearl, Papi, and Aster. They were homeless for reasons unknown to me. Two were from a rescue group and four were from shelters.

I really didn't care much how I got them. They were my dogs now and I loved them.

I love cats and grew up with them. I have had a community cat colony. I did Trap-Neuter-Return for all of them. I also put in a cat door in my garage, keep the cars out and heated it in the garage. When my house was crushed by a tree, I moved away, and that really saddened me, but there were many abandoned barns where I lived. I hope that they are happily catching mice in a nice old barn.

Did you rescue a dog or cat?

message 2: by Kady (new)

Kady Monroe I have had 3 rescued animals over the years. One cat and two dogs. My current dog is an adopted retired racing Greyhound. :)

message 3: by Diane (new)

Diane Meier (goodreadscomDEMeier) | 12 comments Wonderful ! So good of you to adopt a greyhound. I hate dog racing - and horse racing, too.

message 4: by Laura (new)

Laura Schenone | 8 comments I've always been curious as to what it's like to manage a trap neuter return. How to get them? Especially since they may be feral, right?

message 5: by Diane (last edited Jul 11, 2017 07:03AM) (new)

Diane Meier (goodreadscomDEMeier) | 12 comments You might want to google cat rescue and your location. I just bought an animal trap, put in tuna and then took them to a vet willing to handle feral cats - in the traps. The vet should also vaccinate the cats. The girl cats need to be kept in the traps for 2 days so they can heal, so a safe, covered place is needed. You don't have to open the trap. I didn't like doing it and hated seeing them in the traps, but it really is the right thing to do. Alley Cat Allies provides a lot more advice, of course. they've been advocating for feral cats for decades. Truly a wonderful group. https://www.alleycat.org/get-help/

message 6: by Diane (new)

Diane Meier (goodreadscomDEMeier) | 12 comments I should clarify - the first time I got the help from a TNR group & later got my own trap. The problem is money, of course, but if you donate money for the vet to the group, you can deduct it.

message 7: by Laura (new)

Laura Schenone | 8 comments Fascinating, Diane. Yes Alley Cat Allies looks amazing.