Goodreads Feedback discussion

Suggestions & Questions > View "Friends Only" on Feed

Comments (showing 1-15 of 15) (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Cora (new)

Cora ☕ Tea Party Princess (Corazie) | 95 comments At present, when it comes to setting up your feed preferences for people you see, you can see "Goodreads community" OR "All friends and people I follow" OR "Top friends and people I follow" OR "Top friends only".

I'd love to be able to see "Friends only" as an option so I could see all of my friends and top friends in once place, without having to manually switch between.

message 3: by Empress (last edited Jul 04, 2017 01:53PM) (new)

Empress (The_Empress) Hi Cora, I'm just curious for what purpose do you follow people? I, for example, do it to see them in my feedback and it never occurred to me people would have a different reason. Maybe because I just cannot think of a different one.

It might also be helpful to GR to know why you want to exclude people you follow from your feedback.

Linda ~ chock full of hoot, just a little bit of nanny ~ (Linda2485) | 443 comments There's already a "Top Friends Only" that excludes people you follow. Seems reasonable for there to also be a "All friends only" that does the same.

Though people have been asking for better customization on the filter since GR "improved" the home page and nothing's been done, so I'm not holding my breath on this one.

Linda Abhors the New GR Design | 868 comments Ellie [The Empress] wrote: "Hi Cora, I'm just curious for what purpose do you follow people? I, for example, do it to see them in my feedback and it never occurred to me people would have a different reason. Maybe because I j..."

I'm curious, as well. I can think of creepy reasons (I know some people here have trolls. So far, I don't, but have been trolled by people at work on other sites). Maybe, for example, so you could follow the reviews of people you'd like to friend, but they already have 1500 friends? I quit allowing it, only friends can follow me except for two or three people who were already there when I made the decision.
I'm trying to think of positivie reasons for it......

message 6: by Faith (new)

Faith | 1169 comments Linda Abhors the New GR Design wrote: "Ellie [The Empress] wrote: "Hi Cora, I'm just curious for what purpose do you follow people? I, for example, do it to see them in my feedback and it never occurred to me people would have a differe..."

I follow people because I like to see their reviews listed first when I go to the book page when I am considering a book or have just finished it. I look at my feed only about once a week and I don't often use it to get new ideas for books to read. One reason is because there is too much clutter in the feed.

message 7: by Cora (new)

Cora ☕ Tea Party Princess (Corazie) | 95 comments Ellie [The Empress] wrote: "Hi Cora, I'm just curious for what purpose do you follow people? I, for example, do it to see them in my feedback and it never occurred to me people would have a different reason. Maybe because I j..."

I follow people for a range of reasons. It might be that their reviews and the books they review are NSFW due to covers/images. Maybe I want to see if we have similar taste, or if I like their reviews. Sometimes I want to suss out if someone's a creep before accepting their friend request because I've had so many creep messages on here.

Usually it's because I like interacting with people about books, so the people I tend to be friends with are people I have actually interacted with, and often away from this site. Following someone first is a good way to make sure we they're "worth" becoming friends with because I know there's a maximum amount of friends you can have and I'd like them all to be meaningful.

When I follow people, I want to see their reviews and recommendations, it's like a stepping stone before adding them as a friend?

Linda Abhors the New GR Design | 868 comments Cora wrote: "Ellie [The Empress] wrote: "Hi Cora, I'm just curious for what purpose do you follow people? I, for example, do it to see them in my feedback and it never occurred to me people would have a differe..."

I see.......I'm cautious with friends, as well, only have about 80-90, for the same reason you gave. I'm usually happy to compare shelves, and then, if I'm getting lots of YA or vampire books recommended as part of a blanket recommendation every time someone I have friended (and with whom I've had little other interaction) reads a book, I just un-friend them. I've had a couple of friends who are younger grade students, and there isn't a lot of interaction there, and I"m pretty sure they're just mining my shelves for recommendations, critical works and the like, but I'm okay with that.

message 9: by Faith (new)

Faith | 1169 comments I actually prefer it when people just follow me rather than friend me if I don't know them from a group. I am especially suspicious of authors who send friend requests because I fear that the next time I hear from them it will be a solicitation to read their book. I think followers are more likely to just be interested in my book choices.

message 10: by Empress (last edited Jul 05, 2017 12:53PM) (new)

Empress (The_Empress) Cora wrote: "I follow people for a range of reasons.."

Yes, these exact reasons. I as just wondering why do you want to exclude them from your feed, because a "Friends" only option will do only that. You will see friends and top friends (because top friends are friends, are they not?), but not people you follow.

Also, the top friend option is checked automatically when adding friends. Unchecking it is a way to exclude people from the feed only - which is why I think the "top friends only" option exists.

As it is what you are requesting doesn't seem any different than what already exists (all friends and people you follow would do what you are asking for), and from none of the above answers becomes clear to me how a friend only option will be any different than that.

And while customization might needs improving I would prefer if GR works on something more substantial than creating an option that is barely any different from what is already an option. Creating a way to group people (by user criteria) and switching between those is something I would support.

Maybe I am completely failing understand your request.

Elizabeth (Alaska) Ellie [The Empress] wrote: "from none of the above answers becomes clear to me how a friend only option will be any different than that. ."

Pretty clear to me. She wants to see those she follows only on the book page.

message 12: by Hugh (new)

Hugh (bodachliath) | 276 comments I may be a little cynical, but to me the whole point of the home page redesign seemed to be to reduce our ability to control what we see in the feed and increase the amount of gratuitous advertising.

So mine is now set to reviews only and top friends and people I follow, but it makes me a little guilty about ignoring those friends who don't review books or don't publish their reviews to the newsfeed...

message 13: by Cora (new)

Cora ☕ Tea Party Princess (Corazie) | 95 comments Ellie [The Empress] wrote: "Cora wrote: "I follow people for a range of reasons.."

Yes, these exact reasons. I as just wondering why do you want to exclude them from your feed, because a "Friends" only option will do only th..."

It's mostly so if I'm checking GR at work on a break, those NSFW reviews/books don't come up. As it is I toggle straight to Top Friends and there is only a few pages of content, as I have very few "top" friends, only people I know IRL, so I'm on GR for less time than I otherwise would be.

When I'm at home, I'm always switching my feed around, as depending on the filters I miss a lot of content. If I put "All friends and people I follow" my top friends don't show and a lot of my actual friends don't show anyway, it's mostly people I follow. I like to be able to switch it up.

But yes, I think ultimately being able to group people by criteria and then have that determine what is displayed on the feed, would be amazing.

Hugh wrote: "I may be a little cynical, but to me the whole point of the home page redesign seemed to be to reduce our ability to control what we see in the feed and increase the amount of gratuitous advertisin..."

Unfortunately it reduces my time spent on the site, I mostly have it toggled to TopFriends/Reviews Only as it's easier to skip past promotions and unrelated editorial. But that means there's less content for me to see and so I spend less time.

message 14: by Empress (new)

Empress (The_Empress) Cora wrote: "All friends and people I follow" my top friends don't show and a lot of my actual friends don't show anyway, it's mostly people I follow. "

That doesn't sound correct to me. Since top friends are also friends I think they should show in your feed. Would be good if a GR employee can confirm that (or someone else more aware than me how the feed works)

Also the feed doesn't always work properly. It tends to combine certain updates and it shows other with a delay so they may pop-up with their correct stamp, but later than they were actually posted. So if you are not going through your feedback history all the time you will keep missing stuff. Now that is something I think should be fixed but that is the functionality itself.

Also a way to group people is something I would certainly vote for and would really appreciate.

message 15: by Shaun, Goodreads Expert (new)

Shaun (sponting) | 4147 comments Mod
Cora wrote in message 1: "At present, when it comes to setting up your feed preferences for people you see, you can see "Goodreads community" OR "All friends and people I follow" OR "Top friends and people I follow" OR "Top..."

I can how having a "Friends only" option could be useful. Especially for profiles with large friend counts. I've passed your feedback on to our engineering team for their review.

Ellie [The Empress] wrote in message 14: "That doesn't sound correct to me. Since top friends are also friends I think they should show in your feed. Would be good if a GR employee can confirm that (or someone else more aware than me how the feed works) "

That's correct — selecting "All friends and people I follow" should include Top Friends.