What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Castaway
This topic is about Castaway
SOLVED: Non-Fiction > SOLVED. Non fiction 1980s(?) memoir, woman responds to advert to live with a man on a desert island. possible tie-in with TV show? [s]

Comments (showing 1-4 of 4) (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 886 comments A paperback book I read in the 1990s, but think it was slightly older, maybe published in the 70s or 80s.

It was a memoir by a woman who responded to an advert by a man who wanted someone to live with him on a desert island. He was into survival, going back to nature, that kind of thing and wanted a companion to live with him for a year. I think his name started with a G, maybe Geoff or Garth or something similar.

The woman did go to the island with him but basically he turned out to be a total creep and was constantly annoyed that she didn't want a romantic relationship with him. I think she may have left the island early because of his weird behaviour.

The other detail nagging at me is that I think it had some kind of relation to a TV show, like maybe a documentary was made about their experiences on the island, but the woman had never told her side of the story before? I also remember it having a black and white cover, but I could be wrong as it's been so long.

Any help appreciated.

message 2: by Trilobyte (last edited Jul 04, 2017 06:52AM) (new)

message 3: by Caroline (new)

Caroline Bennett | 72 comments Yup, definitely Castaway. I've read that and this is the exact plot.

message 4: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 886 comments Thank you! I had a feeling it would be quite well known but I had trouble googling it because I just got lots of results about survival reality shows.