What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

UNSOLVED: One specific book > Adult Fantasy: Novel about gods with amnesia published in the 1970's or 1980's. Spoilers Ahead

Comments (showing 1-29 of 29) (29 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Cleo (new)

Cleo | 18 comments I'm looking for a fantasy novel I read back in 1994.
I cannot remember the author's name or book name but it starts off with a man who wakes up on a beach but he does not remember his name or who he is. He sets off on a quest seeking to discover this information and eventually discovers he is one of the many deities in this fantasy world ( He also discovers his fellow gods along the way).
I think the novel was published in the 1970's or 1980's.

message 2: by Kris (new)

Kris | 13664 comments Mod
Cleo, is this book for young adults (teens) or older adults?

Can you describe the fantasy world - Earth-like (urban fantasy), medieval, etc.?

What special powers does the hero and the other gods possess? (Spoilers are okay - just give us a clear warning before revealing a spoiler.)

message 3: by Jen (last edited Jul 04, 2017 11:38PM) (new)

Jen | 130 comments Zelazney's Nine Princes in Amber series?

message 4: by Keith (new)

Keith | 140 comments Jen wrote: "Zelazney's Nine Princes in Amber series?"

I was going to suggest this as well. I'm not sure Corwin wakes up on a beach, but it's a long time since I read the series.

Link to first book: Nine Princes in Amber

message 5: by Cleo (last edited Jul 05, 2017 01:48AM) (new)

Cleo | 18 comments The book is definitely for adults- there are some vivid descriptions of sex- from what I can remember (at least vivid for my 12 year old self then!).

It's not Nine Princes in Amber- though thanks for the suggestion. I will check out the series.

From what I recall, the hero wakes up either on a beach or by the sea, naked, with no memory of who he is or how he got there. He is blonde.
The novel is set in an Earth-like fantasy realm- more middle-ages if anything- as they ride horses and there are some battles fought with swords etc

Spoiler warning under cut....

When he eventually regains his god-like powers, I think he can manipulate fire in some way and also there may be some mention of reincarnation.

message 6: by K.L. (new)

K.L. | 54 comments commenting because I would be interested to find out what the book is as well. it seems vaguely familiar

message 7: by Ann aka Iftcan (new)

Ann aka Iftcan (Iftcan) | 6914 comments Mod
While I am positive this is not the series, I'm going to suggest it anyway. Catastrophe's Spell (This is the first in the series. There is a character in one of the books who has amnesia and is a god. I just don't remember which book he's in.)

message 8: by Cleo (new)

Cleo | 18 comments Thanks for the suggestion! Look's very interesting. I'll check it out.

message 9: by Jen (new)

Jen | 130 comments Keith wrote: "Jen wrote: "Zelazney's Nine Princes in Amber series?"

I was going to suggest this as well. I'm not sure Corwin wakes up on a beach, but it's a long time since I read the series.

Link to first boo..."

No, Prince Corwin wakes up in a sanitarium

message 10: by Kris (last edited Jul 18, 2017 05:25PM) (new)

God of the Golden Fleece by Fred Saberhagen turned up while searching but it doesn't look quite right.

message 11: by Cleo (new)

Cleo | 18 comments Thank you for the suggestion Kris. No it's not God of the Golden Fleece- which I'd read a few years ago and does have a similar-ish plot.

message 12: by Angela (new)

Angela | 296 comments Maybe A Short, Sharp Shock by Kim Stanley Robinson A Short, Sharp Shock by Kim Stanley Robinson? The premise is very similar, with the man waking up with amnesia on the beach, and setting off on a journey through a fantasy world to find his identity. I can't find any mention of the man being a god, but if that was the big plot twist, reviewers might be trying to avoid spoiling the ending. :)

message 13: by Cleo (new)

Cleo | 18 comments Thanks for your suggestion Angela! I checked it out but that's not it.

message 14: by David (new)

David Mathieu | 7 comments maybe one of the incarnations of immortality books by Piers Anthony. definitely not the first one but each in the series could have been read as a standalone.

message 15: by Kris (new)

Incarnations of Immortality series by Piers Anthony - David's suggestion - https://www.goodreads.com/series/4359...

message 16: by Cleo (new)

Cleo | 18 comments Thanks David. Great suggestion but it is not any of the books you suggested

message 17: by Samuel (new)

Samuel Santos | 2 comments Is it The Seventh Sword series by Duncan, Dave?

message 18: by Ann aka Iftcan (new)

Ann aka Iftcan (Iftcan) | 6914 comments Mod
I don't think it's the series by Dave Duncan. The first book of that series is The Reluctant Swordsman and he's very definitely human--just a human from our world, who is brought to the fantasy world to do something for the gods of that world.

message 19: by Cleo (last edited Feb 25, 2018 11:49PM) (new)

Cleo | 18 comments Bumping this topic in the hope that someone recognises the book...

message 20: by Joseph (new)

Joseph Marquis | 32 comments Maybe The Reluctant Swordsman, Dave Duncan

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/5...

message 21: by Ingo (last edited Mar 01, 2018 09:23AM) (new)

Ingo (ilembcke) | 361 comments Just remembered this, the hero has Amnesia in the beginning, but imho does not wake up on a beach, instead lives a normal life as a teacher. Could be wrong, was 20 years or more since I read that one.
Philip José Farmer: World of Tiers, starting with:
The Maker of Universes The Maker of Universes (World of Tiers, #1) by Philip José Farmer

Some of the books are out of print, and if you want cheap real books I suggest looking for the 2-3 Omnibus Volumes, there are several (also some oop), I bought them as 2 softcovers, maybe used. Today I would buy them as ebooks, but last time I looked to buy them again, that was not cheap.

Overview of the whole series on GoodReads.

As not all fits, I guess this is not the book/series, but I wanted to mention it. At the time of my reading I really liked them, not so sure, wether I would like them still today.

message 22: by Cleo (last edited Mar 02, 2018 03:37AM) (new)

Cleo | 18 comments Joseph wrote: "Maybe The Reluctant Swordsman, Dave Duncan

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/5..."

Thanks for the suggetion Joseph though it is not the book I'm looking for. It does have a similar plot though!

message 23: by Cleo (new)

Cleo | 18 comments Ingo wrote: "Just remembered this, the hero has Amnesia in the beginning, but imho does not wake up on a beach, instead lives a normal life as a teacher. Could be wrong, was 20 years or more since I read that o..."

Thanks for the suggetion Ingo. It's not the book I'm looking for but this series sure sounds interesting.

message 24: by Tathariell (new)

Tathariell | 98 comments possibly Lord Valentine's Castle? I don't think he wakes up naked (been a while since I read it), and he's not a god, but he is powerful. Amnesia, journey, medievalish fantasy world - check.

message 25: by Cleo (new)

Cleo | 18 comments Tathariell wrote: "possibly Lord Valentine's Castle? I don't think he wakes up naked (been a while since I read it), and he's not a god, but he is powerful. Amnesia, journey, medievalish fantasy world -..."

Thank you so much for your suggestion Tathariell. This is not it though.

message 26: by Steph (new)

Steph | 27 comments Now I’m curious...it sounds like an interesting premise. Do you happen to know or remember what the book looked like? Maybe something distinct about the cover or a half remembered author name perhaps?

message 27: by Cleo (new)

Cleo | 18 comments Steph wrote: "Now I’m curious...it sounds like an interesting premise. Do you happen to know or remember what the book looked like? Maybe something distinct about the cover or a half remembered author name perhaps?"

I cannot for the life of me recall either the cover or the author's name. I've tried to rack my brains but all I remember is that the cover was typically 1960's/1970's fantasy book cover-art.

message 28: by Steph (new)

Steph | 27 comments Hmm...well I tried looking for something along the lines of what you’re searching for plot wise. This one probably isn’t it, but The Bitterbynde Trilogy by Cecilia Dart-Thornton has an amnesiac protagonist in it that seems promising.

message 29: by El (new)

El | 386 comments The Bitterbynde Series for an easy click - begins with The Ill-Made Mute.