Reading Glasses - Fan Group discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Currently Reading > Currently Reading: July 2017

Comments (showing 1-46 of 46) (46 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Scott (last edited Jul 03, 2017 06:34PM) (new)

Scott Ely | 13 comments So I am curious, what are you currently reading?
For me:
Theft of Swords by Michael J. Sullivan Theft of Swords
Promise of Blood by Brian McClellan Promise of Blood
Our Lady of the Ice by Cassandra Rose Clarke Our Lady of the Ice

Also I'm finally reading Saga for graphic novels

message 2: by Whitney (new)

Whitney (Booksandk9s) | 5 comments Just starting "Life After Life" by Kate Atkinson

message 3: by Colin (new)

Colin McEvoy (colinmcevoy) | 12 comments Truman, by David McCollough. Good stuff, but literally a thousand pages, so it's gonna take a while...

message 4: by Chrissy (new)

Chrissy | 48 comments Mod
At the moment:
Alexander Hamilton - Ron Chernow
My Life on the Road - Gloria Steinem

And I'm re-reading Charlain Harris's Harper Connelly books.

There's probably a couple of others I've forgotten. I'm an insane multu book reader 😅😅

message 5: by Beatrice (new)

Beatrice (veriloquacious) I'm just finishing up Jackalope Wives and Other Stories, by T. Kingfisher (aka Ursula Vernon). Excellent collection, her short stories are among my absolute favorites! Not sure what I'll read next, though.

message 6: by Whitney (last edited Jul 03, 2017 08:06PM) (new)

Whitney (Booksandk9s) | 5 comments Colin wrote: "Truman, by David McCollough. Good stuff, but literally a thousand pages, so it's gonna take a while..."

I read that book after a trip to Independence, MO & the Truman's library. A really good book --- but yeah -- definitely long! I read it while the presidential primaries were going on and kept thinking to myself "I wonder what Truman would say?"

message 7: by Gabrielle (new)

Gabrielle Melton (gabbiest) | 2 comments I'm reading Startup by Doree Shafrir, but I'm about done.

message 8: by Alyssa (new)

Alyssa Gray (lycanthropologies) | 13 comments I'm feeling super nostalgic lately so I'm doing a HP reread (starting with Chamber of Secrets bc I read Sorcerer's Stone to my students not long ago), and I'm rereading The Bartimaeus Trilogy by Jonathan Stroud. I'm on The Golem's Eye.

message 9: by Chrissy (new)

Chrissy | 48 comments Mod
Alyssa wrote: "I'm feeling super nostalgic lately so I'm doing a HP reread (starting with Chamber of Secrets bc I read Sorcerer's Stone to my students not long ago), and I'm rereading The Bartimaeus Trilogy by Jo..."
I'm just about due for a HP re read myself actually. It's always good to have old favs!

message 10: by Alyssa (new)

Alyssa Gray (lycanthropologies) | 13 comments I haven't done a full series reread in YEARS, but I've read the first three times in the last three years (read it to different classes) so I was like if I read it again I'll punch myself.

message 11: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Ames-Foley (samesfoley) | 2 comments I'm currently reading Their Eyes Were Watching God and Girl in Snow! The second is an ARC I got from Netgalley. I can't believe this is my first time reading Their Eyes Were Watching God, I feel like I'm the only person who hasn't read it yet.

message 12: by Danielle (new)

Danielle (thewolvessaid) Currently reading:
The Fellowship of the Ring - my main carry-around-in-my-purse book right now. First time reading! I'm having some trouble getting into it though.
When She Woke - listening on audiobook
The Count of Monte Cristo - trying to read a chapter a day so I don't get bogged down by the length. It's really good, but whoa is it long.
Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban - Also rereading the series now! Reading a chapter a week in accordance with the Harry Potter and the Sacred Text podcast.

Love hearing about what others are currently reading!

message 13: by Apsalar (new)

Apsalar | 1 comments Reading A Short History of Nearly Everything, by Bill Bryson, for my science needs, really good and brief description of most science topics if a bit outdated now. Good starting point to find so many more topics to read about!
Reading Dust of Dreams, by Steven Erikson, this is such a good series! And I am listening to Kings of the North, by Elizabeth Moon. Paksenarrion was my hero when I was younger and I still like the trilogy. First time reading through the other books in that world.

message 14: by Ashley (new)

Ashley Olzendam (Phlamboyant) | 3 comments My currently reading shelf is a bit of a mess, but I am currently actively reading Cannibalism: A Perfectly Natural History and The Lies of Locke Lamora.

message 15: by Avidan (new)

Avidan | 3 comments Ashley wrote: "My currently reading shelf is a bit of a mess, but I am currently actively reading Cannibalism: A Perfectly Natural History and The Lies of Locke Lamora."

Lies of Locke Lamora is really great! I'm in the middle of rereading it myself!

message 16: by Nathan (new)

Nathan Marsh (meowscapades) | 3 comments I just read half of Nabokov's "Lolita" and I'm blown away at this book. The style, the story, it all amazes me. I'm sad that it's taken me so long to get to this book.

message 17: by Tooch (new)

Tooch (ItsTooch) | 6 comments I started reading the first book of Legend of the Galactic Heroes by Yoshiki Tanaka, a very famous light novel series that went on to be a whole franchise of manga and anime! When if comes to Japanese sci-fi stuff I tend to go for mecha, but Gundam 0079 gave me a love for Space Politics, so this is still scratching a very similar itch. I only got to the prologue where they give a summary of the galaxy's history up to when the book takes place but it's SUCH good world building. I dig.

message 18: by Jacob (new)

Jacob Haller | 9 comments I just finished Anne of Green Gables, which was great, and next up is The Selection, which I am given to understand I may get kind of ranty about. (Not to cast any aspersions on those who like the book; my tastes are what they are.) After that, I think Beauty Queens.

message 19: by Paul (new)

Paul  Perry (Pezski) | 17 comments Whitney wrote: "Just starting "Life After Life" by Kate Atkinson"

SUCH a great book! Atkinson has been a favourite of mine for some years, but in this she really excels herself. A God in Ruins is somewhere on the nether slopes of Mount TBR for me, I must send a search party.

I'm currently reading:

A Closed and Common Orbit which I'd put aside for a week as I wasn't quite in the right mood, but am now rather enjoying

The Rook, just started while having a sleepness night

Night's Black Agents prepping for running this RPG at some point in the near future

message 20: by Paul (new)

Paul  Perry (Pezski) | 17 comments Update:

I don't religiously follow my group reads, but the coming month has several I really want to jump into. As well as The Rook that I've already started, I've queued up:

The Underground Railroad

Railsea

The Knife of Never Letting Go

Children of Time

I Contain Multitudes: The Microbes Within Us and a Grander View of Life

An Unsuitable Job for a Woman

We Have Always Lived in the Castle

Fortunately, I've already read these August group selections:

The Night Circus

The Book of Phoenix

The Stars My Destination

Otherwise I'd be doing little other than reading...

message 21: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Ames-Foley (samesfoley) | 2 comments I just finished up A Darker Shade of Magic and plan to start in on Watership Down for the first time tonight! I'm also a little over halfway through my eARC of The Education of a Coroner: Lessons in Investigating Death.

message 23: by Jaimie (last edited Jul 27, 2017 07:47PM) (new)

Jaimie Pitts | 2 comments Elizabeth☮ wrote: "I am reading The Rest of Us Just Live Here by Patrick NessThe Rest of Us Just Live Here."

Oooh I liked that one! I've been a fan of Patrick Ness since reading A Monster Calls. Really loved the idea of shifting the focus of a supernatural YA novel to the confused bystanders just watching these crazy things go down.

I'm halfway through Juliet, Naked, and a quarter of the way through Strangers In Paradise, Pocket Book 2 and Giant Days, Vol. 1. Thoroughly enjoying all three!

I also recently finished My Cousin Rachel and now want to read all of Daphne du Maurier's works

message 24: by Scott (last edited Jul 27, 2017 09:37PM) (new)

Scott Ely | 13 comments Sarah wrote: "I just finished up A Darker Shade of Magic and plan to start in on Watership Down for the first time tonight! I'm also a little over halfway through my eARC of [book:Th..."

Sarah, I have read all of Schwab's darker shade of magic series, what did you think of the first installment? Vicious is still my favorite from her

message 25: by Avery (new)

Avery | 4 comments I started reading Hopscotch, then stopped because I found it kind of insufferable, so now I'm reading The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle. Only taken a little chunk out of it so far, but I'm enjoying it. There's something very hypnotic about the low-affect mundanity of a lot of the description, which will probably also make the more surreal stuff to come more striking.

message 26: by Paul (new)

Paul  Perry (Pezski) | 17 comments Avery Campbell wrote: "I started reading Hopscotch, then stopped because I found it kind of insufferable, so now I'm reading The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle. Only taken a little chunk out of it so fa..."

The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle is so good, I like the way you describe it

message 27: by Elizabeth☮ (new)

Elizabeth☮ @Jamie,

I liked that element of it also. I like that the supernatural is not the focus.

message 28: by Jillypenny (new)

Jillypenny | 7 comments Just finished "Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell" by Susanna Clarke 5 mins ago. Loved it!
Also listening to "The Grapes of Wrath" and loving it. Sad and powerful.
Probably going to read my first Dr Who book next, just to see what that's like. Anyone have an opinion on Dr Who novels?

message 29: by Alyssa (new)

Alyssa Gray (lycanthropologies) | 13 comments I started The Boys of Summer by Richard Cox last night and I'm already almost done with it, it's so good

message 30: by Jessica (new)

Jessica (jessicagargar) | 2 comments I just finished Mr. Splitfoot by Samantha Hunt. I felt like I was in a strange dream while I was reading, and subsequently it gave me really bizarre dreams. It's unsettling, but not really upsetting or scary.

message 31: by Emily (new)

Emily A. | 1 comments Reading Bad Feminist and Neon Green.

message 32: by Elizabeth☮ (new)

Elizabeth☮ Would you guys mind including links for the books you recommend? It makes it easier to click and view. Thanks.

message 33: by Alyssa (new)

Alyssa Gray (lycanthropologies) | 13 comments I'm on mobile, is there a way to do that from here?

message 34: by Elizabeth☮ (new)

Elizabeth☮ I have an iPhone, but you should be able to click add book/author button.

message 35: by Alyssa (new)

Alyssa Gray (lycanthropologies) | 13 comments Oh you can't do that on the app but you can on the browser. I use the app

message 36: by Elizabeth☮ (new)

Elizabeth☮ Ah. Ok. Thanks for the info.

message 37: by Sarah (last edited Jul 31, 2017 02:52PM) (new)

Sarah Kr (littlebookcorner) Jill wrote: "Just finished "Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell" by Susanna Clarke 5 mins ago. Loved it!
Also listening to "The Grapes of Wrath" and loving it. Sad and powerful.
Probably going to read my first Dr..."

If you love Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell, you may also love the Netflix series. I felt something similar to a "book hangover" when I finished the last episode, I never wanted it to end!

I'm reading Six of Crows for a book club. Only a few pages in but looks promising.

message 38: by Alyssa (new)

Alyssa Gray (lycanthropologies) | 13 comments Six of Crows is so good!! When I started I couldn't stop and I read it in one day

message 39: by Beatrice (last edited Jul 31, 2017 07:38PM) (new)

Beatrice (veriloquacious) I just finished rereading The Siren Depths by Martha Wells, the third book in her Books of the Raksura series, and now I'm starting the fourth, which I haven't read before! I love love love this series so I'm pleased as punch.

The Siren Depths is my favorite of the first three (I literally cry every time I read it even though I KNOW what happens, hahaha) but all of them are very good!

I'm also reading The Adamantine Palace for my book club and it took me a while to warm up to it but now I'm super into it! Dragons and complicated, ruthless politics. Plus I've been picking away at The Oathbound and the short story collection Magic for Beginners.

message 40: by Avidan (new)

Avidan | 3 comments Paul wrote: "Update:

I don't religiously follow my group reads, but the coming month has several I really want to jump into. As well as The Rook that I've already started, I've queued up:

[bo..."

The Rook is one of my favorite books of all time! Hope you like it!

message 41: by Christine (new)

Christine | 1 comments Paul wrote: "Whitney wrote: "Just starting "Life After Life" by Kate Atkinson"

SUCH a great book! Atkinson has been a favourite of mine for some years, but in this she really excels herself.

I loved Life After Life!! Such a wonderful book. I've also read A God in Ruins, but it didn't click the same way for me. I think I wanted it to be like the first book too badly. Maybe the extra time on your TBR will give you the distance I needed! ;)

Currently reading Magpie Murders and just finished Edinburgh.

message 42: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 17 comments I'm always reading multiple books at once, so right now I'm in the middle of The Hating Game by Sally Thorne, Design for Dying (forget the author at the moment but it's a mystery set in 1930s Hollywood), Voyager (the third Outlander book), and When Things Fall Apart by Pema Chodron

message 43: by Elizabeth☮ (new)

Elizabeth☮ I just finished Celine by Peter HellerCeline and I am more than half way through The Sixth Extinction An Unnatural History by Elizabeth KolbertThe Sixth Extinction: An Unnatural History.

message 44: by Anna (new)

Anna (annadomings) | 6 comments Currently I am reading The Hate U Give and am about to start What Is Not Yours Is Not Yours. I am of course reading Angie Thomas' book on RG's recommendation, and in a sense I am also reading Helen Oyeyemi's on their recommendation as well because they suggested reading short stories to get out of a book slump, and I've been wanting to read it for a long time! Haven't started it yet but I'm excited. The Hate U Give feels very honest and important, especially for the current sociopolitical climate in the US.

message 45: by Ashley (new)

Ashley Olzendam (Phlamboyant) | 3 comments I'm currently actively reading Throne of Glass and Expecting Better: Why the Conventional Pregnancy Wisdom is Wrong - and What You Really Need to Know. Looking forward to continuing the Discworld series and maybe getting into this week's impulse library grabs.

message 46: by Ariel (new)

Ariel (arielteague) | 2 comments Just finished up The Hellbound Heart by Clive Barker during lunch. Slowly rereading Dune along with CBG19's Dune Club this summer and my normal speed read is going to be NOS4A2 by Joe Hill.

Love seeing what everyone is reading!

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.