Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Book Issues > "The Great Zoo of China" (see link in post)

Comments (showing 1-6 of 6) (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by James (new)

James Joyce (James_Patrick_Joyce) | 220 comments Since this is an alternate-cover version, it was easier to simply link to the page (I couldn't think of another way that wouldn't confuse the issue):
The Great Zoo of China (alternate cover)

ISBN13: 9781476749556

I was wondering if the ISBN can be added? Also, I wanted to correct the page count.

The WorldCat entry says 392 pages and Goodread entry says 393 pages. Both are wrong, from a Goodreads Guidelines perspective.

Page numbering ends on page 392. The denouement is on page 393 (un-numbered). Page 394 is blank. Pages 395-403 contain an interview with the author, specifically focused on this novel (spoiler warning included). This would fall into the relevant material that Goodreads counts as legitimate pages (even more so than "study material").

So proper page count for both cover versions of ISBN13: 9781476749556 should be:

☕ Lachgas ♿  (Lachgas) | 4888 comments no the ISBN can't be added twice and stays with the version which was first entered with it

message 3: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

rivka | 32178 comments Mod
James wrote: "So proper page count for both cover versions of ISBN13: 9781476749556 should be:

403"

How can you know that the pages are the same for the edition you don't have?

Added for the ACE.

message 4: by James (new)

James Joyce (James_Patrick_Joyce) | 220 comments rivka wrote: "How can you know that the pages are the same for the edition you don't have? "

You're right; I can't. I assumed, since all of the other information is the same.

rivka wrote: "Added for the ACE."

Thanks.

message 5: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

rivka | 32178 comments Mod
I have found that when they change the cover, they have sometimes made other changes as well. The interview may not have been included in the other edition, for instance.

message 6: by James (new)

James Joyce (James_Patrick_Joyce) | 220 comments rivka wrote: "I have found that when they change the cover, they have sometimes made other changes as well. The interview may not have been included in the other edition, for instance."

Cool.