Beyond Reality discussion

Gifts (Annals of the Western Shore, #1)
This topic is about Gifts
Previous Books of the Month > Gifts -- Finished Reading ***SPOILERS!**

Comments (showing 1-5 of 5) (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Candiss, Moderator (new)

Candiss (Tantara) | 1208 comments Mod
If you've finished reading Gifts by Ursula K. Le Guin, this is the place to share your thoughts with the group.

Caution: There will likely be **SPOILERS** in this thread.

message 2: by aPriL does feral sometimes (last edited Jul 06, 2017 02:34AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

aPriL does feral sometimes  (CheshireScratch) | 159 comments This book often made me angry because of the ignorance and misogyny of the Uplands culture, but ultimately I loved it despite my indignation.

: S

Chris (HeronCFR) | 193 comments I thought the book was well written. It's Ursula K LeGuin, of course, what else would I expect? The main characters were well drawn, and the world was strangely compelling. Yet it was a very grim and discouraging world, where the gifts were used only for destruction. They weren't really evil, just venal. I kept looking for the people who had gifts to build and create but never found them. I was glad to see our two main characters ultimately reject this world view, hoping for something better.

Bill (kernos) | 331 comments Chris wrote: "I thought the book was well written. It's Ursula K LeGuin, of course, what else would I expect? The main characters were well drawn, and the world was strangely compelling. Yet it was a very grim a..."

But by the ending the 2 protagonists realized that and set out to change their ways.

Has anyone read the other 2 books in the series?

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Gifts (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Ursula K. Le Guin (other topics)