African-American Historical Fiction discussion

The Summer We Got Free
This topic is about The Summer We Got Free
2017 Group Reads > July '17: The Summer We Got Free

Comments (showing 1-50 of 59) (59 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Lulu, The Book Reader who could. (new) - rated it 3 stars

Lulu (_lulu217) | 1974 comments Mod
Our group read will begin on July 15. How man of you guys will be joining us? This book seems to be readily available everywhere, so you shouldn't have a hard time finding it. I will post a more detailed schedule closer to the 15th.

HAPPY READING!!!!! ;-)

message 2: by Lulu, The Book Reader who could. (new) - rated it 3 stars

The Summer We Got Free -- Mia McKenzie

At one time a wild young girl and a brilliant artist, Ava Delaney changes dramatically after a violent event that rocks her entire family. Once loved and respected in their community and in their church, they are ostracized by their neighbors, led by their church leader, and a seventeen-year feud between the Delaneys and the church ensues. Ava and her family are displaced from the community even as they continue to live within it, trapped inside their creaky, shadowy old house.

When a mysterious woman arrives unexpectedly for a visit, her presence stirs up the past and ghosts and other restless things begin to emerge. And something is reignited in Ava: the indifferent woman she has become begins to give way to the wild girl, and the passionate artist, she used to be. But not without a struggle that threatens her well-being and, ultimately, her life.

message 3: by Toni (new) - added it

Toni Mariani (tonimariani) | 109 comments Sounds good!
Author Toni Mariani

QueenAmidala28 | 4 comments Humm, I wasn't that interested in the novel until I started reading some of the reviews. Looks interesting. It will be a nice detour from my usual fantasy and sci-fi :) I look forward to the discussions! Happy reading everyone!

message 5: by Melody (new) - added it

Melody Tyson | 1 comments I can't wait to start purchased the book today!!

Jean Starting it today.

message 7: by Toni (new) - added it

Toni Mariani (tonimariani) | 109 comments Not in my library but the librarian will order for me!
Toni Mariani

message 8: by Lulu, The Book Reader who could. (new) - rated it 3 stars

I can't find a hard copy anywhere, so I've gotten the Kindle edition. I'm pretty excited about this one as well.

message 9: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Sinclair | 18 comments Not the kind of story I usually read, but isn't that what group discussions and challenges are all about - to shift us out of our ruts?
I've got it on hold at my library...

message 10: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Sinclair | 18 comments Count me in - a change from what I usually read but I'm looking forward to it.

message 11: by Maya (new) - rated it 2 stars

Maya B | 746 comments I hope to have my copy in by next week

message 12: by Lulu, The Book Reader who could. (new) - rated it 3 stars

Does anyone have the hard copy of this book?

message 13: by Lulu, The Book Reader who could. (last edited Aug 07, 2017 09:06AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Tentative Reading Schedule (based on Kindle edition):

1976 - 1976 (33%) up to page 101 -- Discussion Start Date: 7/22 **Msg 32**
1955 - 1976 (64%) up to page 182 -- Discussion Start Date: 7/29 **Msg 39**
1958 - 1983 (100%) end of book -- Discussion Start Date: 8/5 **Msg 55**

message 14: by Maya (new) - rated it 2 stars

Maya B | 746 comments I have a hard copy library

message 15: by Lulu, The Book Reader who could. (new) - rated it 3 stars

I was trying to get some page numbers. lol. The kindle edition only has locations....not pages.. lol

message 16: by Maya (new) - rated it 2 stars

Maya B | 746 comments Lol. I have to pick it up tomorrow. I'll post the page count tomorrow

message 17: by Lulu, The Book Reader who could. (new) - rated it 3 stars

Thanks Maya!

message 18: by Carol (last edited Jul 14, 2017 07:52PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Carol (CarolBrani) | 2511 comments It has 285 pages. My (paper) copy arrived this afternoon.
1976 ends at 101.
The next section ends at 182.

This is the cover of the copy I have.

The Summer We Got Free by Mia McKenzie

message 19: by Lulu, The Book Reader who could. (new) - rated it 3 stars

Thank you Carol!!

Carol (CarolBrani) | 2511 comments Lulu wrote: "Thank you Carol!!"

You're very welcome. I'm looking forward to this read.

message 21: by Lulu, The Book Reader who could. (new) - rated it 3 stars

So am I!

Desiree Nicole | 3 comments Just downloaded the book thru my Kindle App this evening...looking forward to reading it!

message 23: by Maya (last edited Jul 14, 2017 01:41PM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Maya B | 746 comments my paperback copy is 240 pages. I'm going to try to start this weekend

message 24: by Lulu, The Book Reader who could. (new) - rated it 3 stars

Maya, can you check to see if the pages line up with your copy?

message 25: by Maya (new) - rated it 2 stars

Maya B | 746 comments no. my copy is different, but I will be able to keep up

1976 is up page 86.

1955 up to page 161

1958 to 1983 ends 240

message 26: by Lulu, The Book Reader who could. (new) - rated it 3 stars

Ok. Thanks for posting!

message 27: by Maya (new) - rated it 2 stars

Maya B | 746 comments you're welcome!

message 28: by Lulu, The Book Reader who could. (new) - rated it 3 stars

I found an online PDF copy, if anybody is interested in reading, but doesn't have a copy. Keep in mind, I'm pretty sure this shouldn't be here, so I don't know how long it will be posted.

https://toleratedindividuality.files....

message 29: by Dedria (new)

Dedria A. | 3 comments THanks for the tip on the bookbon word press

message 30: by Dedria (new)

Dedria A. | 3 comments Again: thanks for the tip for the book on word press

message 31: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Eley | 11 comments Lulu wrote: "I found an online PDF copy, if anybody is interested in reading, but doesn't have a copy. Keep in mind, I'm pretty sure this shouldn't be here, so I don't know how long it will be posted.

https:/..."

Oh my....thanks for letting us know.

message 32: by Lulu, The Book Reader who could. (new) - rated it 3 stars

1st section discussion begins here.... May contain spoilers

How are you all coming along with the reading? It started off so slow to me, but it's starting to pick up now. I think that slowness was actually helping to build up the story. I have so many questions that will hopefully get answered as I continue to read. I think I may also be reading too much into certain situations but we'll see. Lol

I love the author's description of a few of the characters. For instance, Ava as a child, when the neighbor Doris ask the theoretical question "How are you suppose to protect a child who has no fear?" and when discussing Helena and her getting turned down for a job at the art gallery because her skin tone would be a distraction from the art. I had to pause and actually visualize Helena as a walking piece of art when her dark skin and green eyes. It seems more of a compliment than a put down. Lol

Seeing how no one in the neighborhood interacts with the family and then learning that no one in the family house interacts with each other was mind blowing.

And I'm still wondering where certain relationships are going....like... Ava/Helena...Sarah/Helena...George, Sr/Helena...Paul/Helena....and Sarah/Paul, but more importantly, I'm wondering....WHAT IN THE HELL HAPPENED TO GEO?!?! Lol

message 33: by Carol (last edited Jul 23, 2017 08:42AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Carol (CarolBrani) | 2511 comments I'm on page 163 and loving it. I want to know what the hell is going on with the creepy, power-tripping pastor and the entire church. Even once we know a little more about Geo, we still don't .... know.

I am fascinated by all the relationships you describe, too. How did they get from 1950 to 1976? I am such an Ava fan, though. She's one of my favorite characters of 2017, at least so far.

Sylvia (MsPerfectlyMe) | 6 comments Just finished it. Loved it!

message 35: by Maya (new) - rated it 2 stars

Maya B | 746 comments I'm curious about George and the church too. I find Helena to be mysterious as well. I want to know why is she really there. Is her black skin a way for readers to talk about colorism

Carol (CarolBrani) | 2511 comments @Maya, the author has some interesting information about that at her website, http://www.blackgirldangerous.com/books/ (some spoilers, for those early early on in the book - nothing about Geo).

I hadn't realized that this was a debut until I read a couple of reviews. It's been a long time since I read a debut this polished and finished-feeling.

This feels like a play to me. 90% of the action (everything but the church, George's sneak-ery and Sara and the fire-eater) occurs in the house. I can see the characters moving from kitchen to bedroom to cellar.

message 37: by Maya (new) - rated it 2 stars

Maya B | 746 comments Thanks Carol!

Carol (CarolBrani) | 2511 comments Maya wrote: "Thanks Carol!"

you're very welcome.

message 39: by Lulu, The Book Reader who could. (new) - rated it 3 stars

2nd section discussion begins here.... May contain spoilers

This book is a bit slow, but it's keeping my attention because I need all of these loose ends tied.

So we know what was going on w/ Chuck and George....and George and some other men around town. I feel so sorry for Lena (Chuck's wife) and Regina just seemed to be in denial about all of this. Did George make Chuck do the do in the church??? lol

I'm glad Sarah found a man, it's pretty sad that she hasn't really had anybody "see" her since Kenny all those years ago.

I still haven't been able to grasp my mind around Ava, I'm trying. Her character just seems to be too much, maybe it will all come together in the end.

I'm curious to find out why Helena really came to visit...and still...what happened to Geo???

Carol (CarolBrani) | 2511 comments Helena is the strangest character to me. She doesn't seem to have her own purpose. I've read ahead so know why she appears to be at loose ends, but even so, she seems to serve almost exclusively as a mirror through which others figure out that they're stuck and don't have to be.

Ava's and Paul's relationship is an odd muddle.

Sara seems always on the verge of being that character who intentionally sabotages good things. I can imagine her planting evidence on Ava and then calling the cops, among other things. I am sorry for her perception of the facts but ... still.

message 41: by Lulu, The Book Reader who could. (new) - rated it 3 stars

That is very true about Helena....that's a perfect way to describe her!!

It's kinda sad to see that Sarah has been jealous of Ava for over 30 years. A person like that is capable of anything. lol

Carol (CarolBrani) | 2511 comments Lulu wrote: "That is very true about Helena....that's a perfect way to describe her!!

It's kinda sad to see that Sarah has been jealous of Ava for over 30 years. A person like that is capable of anything. lol"

The unending sibling grudge. You got it.

message 43: by Lulu, The Book Reader who could. (new) - rated it 3 stars

Anybody still reading? I know Maya and Carol are done.

Carol (CarolBrani) | 2511 comments Lulu wrote: "Anybody still reading? I know Maya and Carol are done."

I have about 50 pages to go and realized I'm stalling finishing it because I've enjoyed it greatly.

Are you done @ Lulu?

message 45: by Lulu, The Book Reader who could. (new) - rated it 3 stars

I'm done. I finished last night. Lol. I was just curious as to where everyone was.

message 46: by Maya (new) - rated it 2 stars

Maya B | 746 comments Lulu wrote: "I'm done. I finished last night. Lol. I was just curious as to where everyone was."

I finished it. The ending when the truth came out...

message 47: by Lulu, The Book Reader who could. (new) - rated it 3 stars

The ending was.....yeah.. lol

message 48: by Maya (new) - rated it 2 stars

Maya B | 746 comments lol

message 49: by Lee (new) - added it

Lee | 675 comments I couldn't get on Goodreads for a week. Now this free book link won't download for my any more.

After, reading y'all reviews, I think all passed. LOL!

message 50: by Lulu, The Book Reader who could. (new) - rated it 3 stars

Come on Lee. You can borrow my kindle edition (I think). I'm done. lol

« previous 1