The Sword and Laser discussion

Scifi / Fantasy News > 2017 Silmarillion Awards

Comments (showing 1-8 of 8) (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by D.J. (new)

D.J. Edwardson | 8 comments The Silmarillion Awards are a sort of online "fantasy oscars", but instead of awarding authors or books, the awards are given to the characters themselves.

Categories include, Most Epic Hero, Most Nefarious Villain, and Most Faithful Friend. Anyone can nominate their favorite characters and the top five nominees will be voted on in one week. The top vote getters in each category will be announced between July 16-28. The awards, "the silmarils" are each presented by a different character from The Lord of the Rings or The Hobbit.

There are physical prizes for readers as well being given away, but mostly it's just a great way to celebrate fantasy literature, learn about new books, and have some fun.

Here's a link to The Most Magnificent Dragon award nominations. From there you can find links to the other award nomination pages:

2017 Magnificent Dragon Award Nominations

message 2: by D.J. (new)

D.J. Edwardson | 8 comments So, more on the prizes. There are 10 awards being given and each award is hosting a giveaway. For instance, you can win a paperback boxed set of The Mistborn Trilogy over on the page hosting the Most Faithful Friend Award.

http://zacharytotah.com/2017/07/silma...

message 3: by D.J. (new)

D.J. Edwardson | 8 comments The nominees are in! Time to vote to see who will win this year's silmarils. And we're giving away more prizes this time around, including a map of Middle-earth, a replica of the One Ring, and a book on Tolkien trivia.

Something for everyone. Check it out!

https://traceydyck.blogspot.com/2017/...

message 4: by Kim (new)

Kim | 477 comments Does this have approval from the Tolkien estate? Or are you just using his works without permission

message 5: by D.J. (new)

D.J. Edwardson | 8 comments I'm not sure why this would require approval from the Tolkien estate. It's just a way to have fun voting for your favorite fantasy characters.

message 6: by Kim (new)

Kim | 477 comments Because you're using a trademarked name.

message 7: by Trike (new)

Trike | 4545 comments Although it's legally dodgy (at best), I suspect this will probably be too small for the Tolkien estate to notice.

I did click through the dragon link and saw that people are nominating basically every dragon ever, so I'm not sure why there's a date to the award. Seems like if the awards are not just for things created in the past year, it would be a better idea to sort them by Type Of Media and/or by era.

E.g., Best Movie Dragon 1980s, Best Movie Dragon 2000s, etc.

message 8: by D.J. (new)

D.J. Edwardson | 8 comments Thanks Kim for the heads up. We might think about renaming them for next year as it never even occurred to any of us involved that this might be an issue. Again, we are just doing this for fun.

And Trike, I guess I did not explain, but these are more like "Lifetime Achievement Awards." Once a character wins one, they cannot receive that award again. It's a little more like a fantasy hall of fame in that sense, and this way we have a much larger field for nominees as anyone can nominate anyone who fits the category.