Around the World in 80 Books discussion

ATW in 80 Books World Challenge > Bri - Frequent Flyer (2017)

Comments (showing 1-13 of 13) (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Brianna (new)

Brianna | 7 comments Hi! My name is Bri and I'm a 19 year old social work student whose two biggest passions are reading and travelling. I found this group last night and I figure why not jump straight into the challenge!

I'm from Canada, but since I'm living in Paris for a month, I will be starting with a book that takes place in France, and when I return I will read one with a Canadian setting. I also tend to read several books on the go, so here's a few that I'll be starting with:

1) The Indomitable Marie Antoinette by Simone Bertiére. The majority of the extensive biography takes place in France (Versailles, specifically). European region.

3) After You by Jojo Moyes, the sequel to Me Before You, set primarily in modern day London, England. European region.

4) Sad Girls by Lang Leav, the poet's first novel. The story takes place in Sydney, Australia. Oceania/Australian region.

4) The Great Gatsby by F.Scott Fitzgerald, a classic novel set in 1920s New York, USA. North American region.

message 2: by Rosemarie (new)

Rosemarie | 1177 comments Hi, Brianne. Enjoy your time in France. I live in Canada too, and like you, I have several books on the go at the same time.

message 3: by Brianna (new)

Brianna | 7 comments Rosemarie wrote: "Hi, Brianne. Enjoy your time in France. I live in Canada too, and like you, I have several books on the go at the same time."

Oh, cool!(: Do you have any good recommendations for books with Canadian settings &/or Canadian authors? I find them hard to come across

message 4: by Rosemarie (new)

Rosemarie | 1177 comments This group has a list of books set in Canada, and actually book lists for countries arranged by continent. It is a great resource.
My favourite Canadian writer is Gabrielle Roy, but I like Ami McKay, Wayson Choy, Allan Stratton and many more. If you like speculative fiction, there is Station 11, by Emily St.John Mandel. It begins in Toronto, where I live.

message 5: by Deb (new)

Deb | 21 comments My favourite Canadian novel is No Great Mischief by Alistair MacLeod set in Nova Scotia.

message 6: by Rosemarie (new)

Rosemarie | 1177 comments I second Deb's opinion on No Great Mischief. I loved it.

message 7: by Diane, Armchair Tour Guide (new)

Diane | 10601 comments Welcome, Bri! You are like me, reading a bunch of books at a time.

message 8: by Brianna (new)

Brianna | 7 comments Just an update that I'm swapping The Indomitable Marie Antoinette for Nausea by Jean-Paul Sartre (also in Paris, France) . I feel this shorter novel will work better with the challenge, and also because I'm living near Sartre's grave so it's more appropriate :)

message 9: by Diane, Armchair Tour Guide (new)

Diane | 10601 comments Brianna wrote: "Just an update that I'm swapping The Indomitable Marie Antoinette for Nausea by Jean-Paul Sartre (also in Paris, France) . I feel this shorter novel will work better with the challenge, and also be..."

No problem

message 10: by Brianna (new)

Brianna | 7 comments Helpless by Christie Blatchford will be my novel for Canada (North American region). And it's set in my home province, in a town I know, which is also a bonus!

message 11: by Brianna (new)

Brianna | 7 comments The Sun Also Rises by Ernest Hemingway will be used for Spain (Europe region), because it's one of the primary settings

message 12: by Brianna (new)

Brianna | 7 comments The Iliad by Homer, which takes place largely in what is known today as Turkey (formerly Greece). European region

message 13: by Brianna (new)

Brianna | 7 comments Memoirs of a Geisha by Arthur Golden will be my book for Japan (Asia region) 😊 I very seldom read books from this area so I'm really excited for this one