Dragons & Jetpacks discussion

Ringworld
This topic is about Ringworld
BotM Discussion - Mod Special > Mod special July/August - Ringworld by Larry Niven

Comments (showing 1-12 of 12) (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Nic, Wormhole Technician (new) - rated it 4 stars

Nic Margett (enn_eye_cee) | 334 comments Mod
Our next Mod Special will be the classic Sci-Fi novel Ringworld by Larry Niven.

Originally published in 1970, this is a classic of the 'Big Dumb Object' sub-genre. This is the book that introduced the world to the idea of the large ring shaped space habitat, notably used more recently by Iain M. Banks and the game Halo.

Ryan | 656 comments It's a colossally cool idea.

Bill Burris (wburris) | 8 comments I have been reading Known Space in the order given here: https://www.amazon.com/gp/richpub/lis...

I am currently on Destroyer of Worlds, so 2 books to go before getting to Ringworld.

message 4: by Spacecrow (last edited Jul 04, 2017 03:03AM) (new) - added it

Spacecrow | 9 comments Love it. Finally something old.

Bill wrote: "I have been reading Known Space in the order given here: https://www.amazon.com/gp/richpub/lis...

I am currently on Destroyer of Worlds, so 2 books to go before getting ..."

Cool guide. but doesn't it tell you: After reading "There is a Tide" from "Tales of Known Space", read "Ringworld".

Edit: ooh, i see now, the guide is more complicated than i first thought.

Efrat | 70 comments Just finished. This book is indead outdated. I didnt like Teela's role as sex toy for louis wu. The luck thing was interesting, but if Teela needed to have experience for her maturity, why didnt it happen earlier? Also, the physics was detailed, but not convincing. I loved the multi-race universe

Shawnie | 1051 comments I read this several years ago and enjoyed it pretty well. I liked the concept and tried to keep in mind that it is dated. The constant partying... drugs and sex and rock n roll. That song goes through my head. lol I never checked to see what comes after in terms of further world-building and characters.

Randy (hawk5391yahoocom) I'll be starting this one in a couple weeks - running behind right now on my group reads...

Scott (MaximumBeans) | 232 comments I'm about 5 chapters in. I read most of Ringworld about 10 or 11 years back and forgot to finish it (which is rare for me). I remember enjoying the description of the Puppeteers' homeworld (I haven't got that far yet this time round), and I reached as far as them getting to the ring and crashing on it. I'll have to check out the other books in the series from that link Bill posted.
So far, it does seem quite dated, yes, but then again so does a classic episode of Doctor Who. I remember the transfer booths from the short story at the end of my copy of The Flight of the Horse, so that's familiar ground.

message 9: by Roger, Knight Radiant (new) - rated it 2 stars

Roger | 1651 comments Mod
Scott wrote: "I'm about 5 chapters in. I read most of Ringworld about 10 or 11 years back and forgot to finish it (which is rare for me). I remember enjoying the description of the Puppeteers' homeworld (I haven..."

The same thing happened to me, and then I started reading it and didn't realize that I had even read it. Then I got to the part where their fly copter was captured and was like, wait a minute, I've read this before....

message 10: by Mark (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mark Helliar | 54 comments The first book I ever read was Ringworld Engineers. This was in 1981, I finished it in a day.... been hooked on Science fiction ever since and read almost all on Larry Niven's work. There is actually an old prequel to Ringworld it is called Protector.

message 11: by Anna (new) - rated it 3 stars

Anna Ness | 6 comments I enjoyed reading this. It's one of the better sci-fi books I've read. (I do find many fantasy books classified as sci-fi in my library but I feel they are more fantasy.) I loved the descriptions of the worlds and ships. I wish we could have spent more time on Ringworld though.

Randy (hawk5391yahoocom) I finally finished. It got off to an interesting start, and I really enjoyed the cast of characters assembled. Teela Brown, although not given a great role, was really interesting as perhaps the "luckiest woman in the universe." That's a concept that I haven't really seen explored previously. Sadly, Teela, like all the rest of the characters, seemed to be completely defined by a single dominant character trait, and of course her behavior as Louis' plaything will not win many friends among modern readership. The Ringworld itself was an interesting concept and worth exploring, especially with the ruins of a fallen civilization. Niven's prose got awkward at times, and the narrative dragged in places. I'll continue on with the series, and with the Known Space books, but I'll be taking a break before doing so.