বই লাভার'স পোলাপান (Boi lover's polapan) discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Monthly Read Choices (Eng) 2017 > August 2017 Monthly Group Reading Nomination (English)

Comments (showing 1-16 of 16) (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Bookish (last edited Jul 03, 2017 12:21AM) (new)

Bookish (Moon513) | 347 comments Mod
*** Please mention only the English book names.
*** Stand-alone books, or collection of SMALL stories are allowed (but the collection book can NOT be more than 400 pages), and ONLY the 1ST Book of the series can be nominated (We have buddy reading system for the rest of the books of a single series.)
*** You can also nominate the Translated books (বাংলা অনুবাদ).

You can nominate only ONE book. You MUST mention the book name AND the author name on the comment box and post it.

Use the "add book/author option" to share the book's GR link so we can know about the book's information. If you do not know how to use this option please see this add book/author post.

***Please consider the availability of a book before you nominate it. If a new/old book do not have any other format available except hardcopy, requesting not to nominate it. Otherwise the idea of group reading would not work if members can not get the book easily.

>>>Books can be nominated till 16th July, 2017 and after that this post will be closed, means no new comment can be posted after 3rd August. On 17th July a poll with nominated books will be up and open till 31st July for voting.

message 2: by Bookish (new)

White Fang

When White Fang was first published in 1906, Jack London was well on his way to becoming one of the most famous, popular, and highly paid writers in the world. White Fang stands out as one of his finest achievements, a spellbinding novel of life in the northern wilds.
In gripping detail, London bares the savage realities of the battle for survival among all species in a harsh, unyielding environment. White Fang is part wolf, part dog, a ferocious and magnificent creature through whose experiences we see and feel essential rhythms and patterns of life in the animal kingdom and among mankind as well.
It is, above all, a novel that keenly observes the extraordinary working of one of nature's greatest gifts to its creatures: the power to adapt. Focusing on this wondrous process, London created in White Fang a classic adventure story as fresh and appealing for today's audiences as for those who made him among the bestselling novelists of his day.

message 3: by Mohammad (new)

Mohammad Ariful Hoque (arifulhoquemasum) | 4 comments Bury My Heart At Wounded Knee by Dee Brown .

I read the first few chapters and had to leave it there for some reason. So, I thought why not take this opportunity and pick it up from there ! :-) despite being a work nonfiction it's such an amazing book! It has a political stand, yes. and it comes as a disappointment to the "western thriller " lovers. (using poorly made mobile app and can't add link to the comment so giving the web link here https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/7... )

message 4: by Bookish (last edited Jul 04, 2017 12:56AM) (new)

Mohammad wrote: "Bury My Heart At Wounded Knee by Dee Brown .

I read the first few chapters and had to leave it there for some reason. So, I thought why not take this opportunity and pick it up from there ! :-) d..."

I wanted to read a book on this subject but did not know any book names or from where should I start. Thanks for nominating it. Whether it's selected for group reading or not, personally I will definitely read it :). Is this book available in nilkhet print?

message 5: by Bookish (new)

Mohammad wrote: "Bury My Heart At Wounded Knee by Dee Brown ."

Some readers noted down the following "One would need at least three or four time frames to illustrate how those maps change, with extensive annotation. Without that visual infographic data, the book lacks a current reader's needs despite the extensive research."

Someone shared this following doc which might help you with reference - https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1mV...

message 6: by Mohammad (new)

Mohammad Ariful Hoque (arifulhoquemasum) | 4 comments thanks. I shall make use of it. the print isn't available in nilkhet. whenever I asked for Dee Brown they thought I was looking for Dan brown's books. it was frustrating and I went for the ebook, which was also difficult to find. there is a translation named "আমারে কবর দিও হাটুভাঙ্গার বাঁয়ে " which is even more difficult to find. I had a copy once and in a moment of desperation to make friends I gave it away to a person. not one of my best decisions. :-(

message 7: by Bookish (last edited Jul 04, 2017 02:34AM) (new)

Mohammad wrote: "thanks. I shall make use of it. the print isn't available in nilkhet. whenever I asked for Dee Brown they thought I was looking for Dan brown's books. it was frustrating and I went for the ebook, w..."

Other then renown books by very famous authors its hard to find a English book hardcopy in Nilkhet which is obviously a demand and supply issue. Sad to hear you lost the Bangla hardcopy.

Anyway, I know a online forum community where members can find abundance of ebook on any subject by any author. There are very few exceptions when I did not find a book I am looking for in that forum. But it's a very secret group and limits its ebook sharing in private forum separated from public forum and members have to maintain it's secrecy sincerely like not talking about it online publicly anywhere. Because the forum had to deal with legal issues and charges in the past. This is a online book heaven for readers like us. I only had to search the book on this forum and I found the ebook of "Bury My Heart At Wounded Knee". And they also have other ebooks written by Dee Brown - The Gentle Tamers: Women of the Old Wild West, The Fetterman Massacre, Hear That Lonesome Whistle Blow: The Epic Story of the Transcontinental Railroads and The American West.

Problem is they let only very active members access to the private forum. In the past I tried to get one of my friends to get accepted but it did not work as she was a newbie there. So what I can do is if you let me know a English book you are looking for I can take a look in there and if I find it I will provide a download link so you can have it.

For the Bangla version you can order the Hardcopy from Porua. And the free ebook is available on Grontho.com

Hope this helps. Happy reading!

message 8: by Mohammad (new)

Mohammad Ariful Hoque (arifulhoquemasum) | 4 comments so far I have managed to make do by scavenging the web on my own. but, thanks. I will let you know if I need be.

message 9: by Farhana (new)

Farhana Sufi (f_sufi) | 2 comments I just finished reading Kurt Vonnegut Jr.'s Slaughterhouse-Five last month. It was a wonderful satire on war and the human race. I would like to nominate the book.

And really glad this group is alive again. :)

message 10: by Ashkin (new)

Ashkin Ayub (ashkinayub) | 2 comments Milk and Honey

Five Reasons to Read This book:

Because it’s short, yet suggestive: a relief at a time when authors needlessly pile on the pages.

Because life gets tough as time passes. Some unthinkable happens and your world feels like it is crashing down but you can get past all of this.

Because it’s like sitting through a breakup and hearing ‘It’s not me, it’s you.’

Because there is a serious absence of South Asian diaspora voices in the contemporary literary world that depict and elevate our voices or individual experiences.

Because in 200 pages, Kaur creates a compelling book about the experience of violence, abuse, love, loss, and femininity.

message 11: by Shadin (new)

Shadin Pranto | 2 comments The Spy by Paulo Coelho

message 12: by Gulzar (new)

Gulzar Choudhury | 5 comments Currently reading Scion of Ikshvaku by Amish Tripati and would love to nominate this one for all.

message 13: by Mahfuz (new)

Mahfuz (mahfuzt) | 1 comments The Alchemist

message 14: by Shihab (last edited Jul 08, 2017 02:41PM) (new)

Shihab Shahriar | 1 comments The Spy Who Came In From The Cold

This is a thriller, but a bit different than the rest. The book has managed to surprise me in many ways, without using any forcibly inserted stupid twist- usually used to spice up an otherwise boring story . It doesn't feature a hot heroine either, like bond, whose main role is usually to look pretty.

It just relies on a brilliant plot from very beginning, and when it ends, it stubbornly clings on to your mind rest of the day.

At least that's how I felt.

message 15: by Mustahid (new)

Mustahid Salman (mustahids1) | 42 comments The Ministry of The Ministry of Utmost Happiness by Arundhati Roy

message 16: by Mustahid (new)

Mustahid Salman (mustahids1) | 42 comments The Ministry of Utmost Happiness by Arundhati Roy

The Ministy Of Utmost Happiness by Arundhoti Roy

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.

বই লাভার'স পোলাপান (Boi lover's polapan)

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

White Fang (other topics)
Slaughterhouse-Five (other topics)
Milk and Honey (other topics)
The Ministry of Utmost Happiness (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Kurt Vonnegut (other topics)