EXO-L Book Club discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Past Monthly Nominations > July Nomination - FICTION

Comments (showing 1-10 of 10) (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kathy (new)

Kathy | 80 comments Mod
All the Ugly and Wonderful Things by Bryn Greenwood

message 2: by Xiu (new)

Xiu | 18 comments Kathy wrote: "All the Ugly and Wonderful Things by Bryn Greenwood"

+1

message 3: by Alice (new)

Alice | 8 comments A Thousand Splendid Suns

This is my friend's favorite book and I never got around to reading it, but since it's a widely read book I'll also +1 All the Ugly and Wonderful Things

message 4: by Amy (new)

Amy (fantastictofu) | 15 comments A colleague of mine really loves All The Ugly and Wonderful Things, so I'd totally be up for reading that too.

message 5: by Momo (last edited Jul 03, 2017 10:49PM) (new)

Momo | 24 comments I nominate Life of Pi by Yann Martel
Life of Pi
Summary:
The protagonist is Piscine Molitor "Pi" Patel, an Indian boy from Pondicherry who explores issues of spirituality and practicality from an early age. He survives 227 days after a shipwreck while stranded on a lifeboat in the Pacific Ocean with a Bengal tiger named Richard Parker.

and

The Power by Naomi Alderman
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/2...

Summary:
This book was won the Bailey's prize for Women's fiction (the most prestigious award for fiction written by women in the UK)

In The Power the world is a recognisable place: there's a rich Nigerian kid who larks around the family pool; a foster girl whose religious parents hide their true nature; a local American politician; a tough London girl from a tricky family. But something vital has changed, causing their lives to converge with devastating effect. Teenage girls now have immense physical power - they can cause agonising pain and even death. And, with this small twist of nature, the world changes utterly.

This extraordinary novel by Naomi Alderman is not only a gripping story of how the world would change if power was in the hands of women but also exposes, with breath-taking daring, our contemporary world.

message 6: by Amy (new)

Amy (fantastictofu) | 15 comments Oooh, I was gonna nominate The Power! +1 for that!!

message 7: by Momo (last edited Jul 03, 2017 11:02PM) (new)

Momo | 24 comments Oh I also nominate The Man in the High Castle by Philip Dick

Summary:
The Man in the High Castle (1962) is an alternative history novel by American writer Philip K. Dick. Set in 1962, fifteen years after an alternative ending to World War II, the novel concerns intrigues between the victorious Axis Powers—primarily, Imperial Japan and Nazi Germany—as they rule over the former United States, as well as daily life under the resulting totalitarian rule.

message 8: by M (new)

M | 10 comments The Bear and the Nightingale

summary:
At the edge of the Russian wilderness, winter lasts most of the year and the snowdrifts grow taller than houses. But Vasilisa doesn’t mind—she spends the winter nights huddled around the embers of a fire with her beloved siblings, listening to her nurse’s fairy tales. Above all, she loves the chilling story of Frost, the blue-eyed winter demon, who appears in the frigid night to claim unwary souls. Wise Russians fear him, her nurse says, and honor the spirits of house and yard and forest that protect their homes from evil.

After Vasilisa’s mother dies, her father goes to Moscow and brings home a new wife. Fiercely devout, city-bred, Vasilisa’s new stepmother forbids her family from honoring the household spirits. The family acquiesces, but Vasilisa is frightened, sensing that more hinges upon their rituals than anyone knows.

And indeed, crops begin to fail, evil creatures of the forest creep nearer, and misfortune stalks the village. All the while, Vasilisa’s stepmother grows ever harsher in her determination to groom her rebellious stepdaughter for either marriage or confinement in a convent.

As danger circles, Vasilisa must defy even the people she loves and call on dangerous gifts she has long concealed—this, in order to protect her family from a threat that seems to have stepped from her nurse’s most frightening tales.

message 9: by Larryjane (new)

Larryjane | 2 comments I don't have a book to nominate, so I'll vote.

message 10: by Char (new)

Char | 7 comments Ooh the nominated books thus far sound very interesting!

I'd like to nominate Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close. I've read it once but that was many years back, and I can't recollect what I thought about it.

Here is the link to the summary. :) https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/4...

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.