Play Book Tag discussion

July 2017: Award Winners > Midnight In The Garden Of Good and Evil by John Betrndt

Comments (showing 1-5 of 5) (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Chili (new)

Chili Hanson (chilipinkcat) | 98 comments 1995 Boeke Prize and 1995 Lambda Literary Award for Gay Men's Mystery
This is a nonfiction book about the events before and after the death of Danny Hansford. Taking place in Savannah Georgia during the 1980's. The city itself is a major character in the story. Jim Williams is charged with first degree murder in the death of Danny Hansford.
The people of Savannah make for a colorful cast of characters. I would really like to know what happened to Chablis and Joe Odom. The author admits to changing some names and descriptions of people, so those may not be their real names. This book has it all from incompetent police and District Attorney to a witch/ voodoo practioner. I found the story very interesting but I don't know that it's award winning. Although I have never heard of the awards that it won.

message 2: by Anita (new)

Anita Pomerantz | 4755 comments I felt similarly to you, Chili, when I read this . . .it was good and "colorful" is the perfect descriptor. But somehow, in the long run, it didn't stick with me . . .

message 3: by Ladyslott (new)

Ladyslott | 1873 comments I loved this book, I thought the writing was amazing. I've thought of it often. But I can see that it isn't a book everyone would like. When I read it I actually did not know it was not fiction- it read like fiction... I loved the movie too.

message 4: by Amy (new)

Amy | 3184 comments This is one of those books I read a million years ago, but remember very much enjoying.

message 5: by Tracy (new)

Tracy (Tstan) | 676 comments I read this after a trip to Savannah, and the Mercer House where it happened. I liked the book, but I loved the house!