Stephen King Fans discussion

Movies & TV shows > Mr Mercedes TV Series

Comments (showing 1-50 of 63) (63 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Angie, Constant Reader (new)

Angie | 2373 comments Mod
Mr Mercedes will be a TV series coming up on August 9th. Are you looking forward to it? Some images were released this week:
http://popculture.com/tv-shows/2017/0...

There is also a trailer for the show featured in the article linked above. Hopefully it's a good show.

message 2: by Erin (new)

Erin (EMS84) | 1055 comments It looks good but I don't think I get AT&T's Audience Network, is that satellite?

message 3: by Feli (new)

Feli (FeliFirefly) | 10 comments I am definitely looking forward to it... but I'm afraid I have to wait a loong time... I just was able to watch 11.22.63 a month ago (and it really was expensive) because it is really quite impossible to watch those TV series in Germany...
We can watch all American stuff like GoT etc just a day after the American premiere, but with series like The Mist or Mr Mercedes I'm afraid it will be a long wait.. :-(

I hope this will be a good series.. King adaptions are either really great or.. well... not exactly good (e.g. Under the dome..)

message 4: by Jessica (new)

Jessica | 51 comments I think you can only get access to the Audience Network if you have AT&T or DirecTV. I have neither so I will be crossing my fingers for an eventual DVD release! Or someone who has one of these services needs to invite me over for a binge watching session! LOL!

message 5: by Chris , The Hardcase (new)

Chris  (haughtc) | 1057 comments Mod
I'd invite you over, Jessica. But I have neither as well.

message 6: by Nancy (new)

Nancy (Paper_Addict) | 612 comments The bottom of the article says DirecTV. Bummer

I like Harry Treadaway as Brady.

message 7: by Erin (new)

Erin (EMS84) | 1055 comments Too bad it's only on DirecTV so hopefully it gets a DVD release.

message 8: by Pamela (new)

Pamela (pamelaharju) | 7 comments I'm really excited about this! I love Stephen King adaptations, and they are how I have got into his books.

message 9: by Nick (new)

Nick Iuppa | 2918 comments Isn't there some way to get a trial subscription or something for next to nothing. I have Direct TV and had to go through the same complications when 11/22/63 came out on another network. Someone gave me a trial subscription and we were able to watch it, before canceling that trial subscription.

message 10: by Nancy (new)

Nancy (Paper_Addict) | 612 comments Don't you need a satellite dish for DirecTV, Nick?

11/22/63 was on HULU so you could get a trial subscription since it is a streaming service.

message 11: by Nick (new)

Nick Iuppa | 2918 comments Nancy wrote: "Don't you need a satellite dish for DirecTV, Nick?

11/22/63 was on HULU so you could get a trial subscription since it is a streaming service."

Right. Okay just forget everything I said. :-) Not sure how Direct TV is going to handle it.

message 12: by Donita (new)

Donita Clinkscales | 9 comments It looks awesome! Can't wait. The Audience Channel is on like 4 or 5 different channels on my Directv...it should be pretty accessible.

message 13: by Angie, Constant Reader (new)

The pilot episode was fantastic. Love it so much. I look forward to the rest of the season.

message 14: by Erin (new)

Erin (EMS84) | 1055 comments Angie wrote: "The pilot episode was fantastic. Love it so much. I look forward to the rest of the season."

I'm glad to hear it's good. Hopefully the first season comes out on DVD at some point.

message 15: by Nick (new)

Nick Iuppa | 2918 comments Okay, finally saw the first episode, and the first 3 words that come to mind are DAVID E. KELLY. (okay that's two words and a letter) But you may remember the guy - aka Mr. Michelle Pfeiffer. A lawyer from Maine, Creator and chief writer of AllyMcBeal, Boston Legal, etc. Known for the quality of his productions. He wrote and produced the first show and is producing the series. The work is probably in better hands that The Dark Tower, but anyway, I agree the first show was riveting, follows the book very closely. Of course, the book itself as noted above is another story.

message 16: by Nancy (new)

Nancy (Paper_Addict) | 612 comments Did you watch the free episode? Att.net and Deadline.com are supposed to have the first two episodes for free.

I don't have DirecTV. I'm afraid to watch because then I can't finish.

The photos I saw online looked really good.

message 17: by Lisa (new)

Lisa | 6 comments Is this just going to be on the first book or the entire series, I have only read the first, don't want to spoil the others.

message 18: by Nancy (new)

Nancy (Paper_Addict) | 612 comments Each book is a separate story. I would think it would be the first book. Like most TV shows, it probably would depend on rating and I would imagine season 2 would be book 2.

I have really read anything online in any detail but looking at the characters list, I think it is safe to assume just book one for now.

message 19: by Lisa (new)

Lisa | 6 comments Nancy wrote: "Each book is a separate story. I would think it would be the first book. Like most TV shows, it probably would depend on rating and I would imagine season 2 would be book 2.

I have really read any..."

Thanks Nancy, I found the pilot episode online and watched it last night, I thought it was very good. Looking forward to the rest. You can almost always find these on the websites that have free movies, you just have to be sure to have good virus and malware software.

message 20: by Nick (new)

Nick Iuppa | 2918 comments Nancy wrote: "Did you watch the free episode? Att.net and Deadline.com are supposed to have the first two episodes for free.

I don't have DirecTV. I'm afraid to watch because then I can't finish.

The photos I ..."

I actually do have direct TV so unlike 11/22/63 I'm able to see this as it appears. Otherwise, you have to get creative. But I agree with Lisa about the malware protection.

message 21: by Kandice (new)

Kandice | 3042 comments I read this would be only the first of the series. With Dexter, Showtime followed the first book in that series very faithfully and then veered off on it's own with subsequent seasons. That could work here, too. The trio is pretty cool in it's won right and they could always use the last book for the last season of the show, right?

I want to watch as well, but am never good at finding shows I don't actually have access to through subscription. I don't want to love these first two "free" episodes and then be unable to finish.

message 22: by Nancy (last edited Aug 12, 2017 10:36PM) (new)

Nancy (Paper_Addict) | 612 comments I would never watch using those so called free streaming sites. I would probably use the two sites SK recommended which is ATT.net and deadline.com. I'm not sure how long the first two episodes will be free though.

message 23: by Angie, Constant Reader (new)

Nancy wrote: "I would never watch using those so called free streaming sites. I would probably use the two sites SK recommended which is ATT.net and deadline.com. I'm not sure how long the first two,episodes wil..." also directtvnow.com

message 24: by Erin (new)

Erin (EMS84) | 1055 comments Kandice wrote: "I read this would be only the first of the series. With Dexter, Showtime followed the first book in that series very faithfully and then veered off on it's own with subsequent seasons. That could w..."

Same here. I'd check out the free episodes but then I would be disappointed if I couldn't find the remaining episodes. Sometimes you can come across a decent website that streams a movie or an episode of a TV show but I'd say 90% of the time the websites are junk or the links don't work.

message 25: by Kandice (new)

Kandice | 3042 comments I'm currently watching Penny Dreadful (yes, late to the party) and cannot wait to see Victor Frankenstein as Brady. I think he will be perfect.
How long I will have to wait is another thing...

message 26: by Summer (new)

Summer (paradisecity) | 294 comments I watched the first episode and enjoyed how faithful it was to the book, but it seemed to move a little slowly. The casting was...interesting. I'd have loved Anton Yelchin as Brady, though the actor they chose is doing well. The actor they cast for the detective wasn't quite what I expected, but I might warm up after another few episodes.

message 27: by Kandice (new)

Kandice | 3042 comments Esse wrote: "I watched the first episode and enjoyed how faithful it was to the book, but it seemed to move a little slowly. The casting was...interesting. I'd have loved Anton Yelchin as Brady, though the acto..."

Yelchin would have been great! You know he died, though, right? It was really sad and traumatic. :*(

message 28: by Summer (new)

Summer (paradisecity) | 294 comments Kandice wrote: "You know he died, though, right? It was really sad and traumatic. :*( ..."

Yeah. I really liked his work, and I was looking forward to him getting more roles after Star Trek. :(

message 29: by Deyth (new)

Deyth Banger (DeYtH_Banger) | 58 comments Oh come on the book isn't as good the TV Series.

The Killee started to play with Bill Hodges mind. But stIll the TV Series don't follow what's really inside the book.

message 30: by mrbooks (new)

mrbooks | 1326 comments Very seldom does a series or movie follow a book

message 31: by Sofía (new)

Sofía Medina  | 1 comments I consider this series good and faithful. It just adds dialogues and scenes in general but that is great because you get more interesting details and facts besides the already known ones so it enriches your point of view.

message 32: by Effie (new)

Effie (bookreviewsgr) | 2 comments I watched the first 3 episodes and really liked it, so I ran and read the book. It's close enough, which is really good.

message 33: by Nick (new)

Nick Iuppa | 2918 comments Deyth wrote: "Oh come on the book isn't as good the TV Series.

The Killee started to play with Bill Hodges mind. But stIll the TV Series don't follow what's really inside the book."

mrbooks wrote: "Very seldom does a series or movie follow a book"

I think the TV series is very faithful to the book. I mean I only read MM twice and remember not liking it mostly because I didn't understand Brady. Now that I see this portrayal on TV, the book itself makes more sense. I think the show is very well done, and as we go from episode to episode it doesn't disappoint me. Even that twisted relationship between Bardy and his mother is clearer. I think the business with the little brother could be expanded, but that might come in upcoming episodes. I always like Mary Louise Parker - thought she was very sexy. She's not who I pictured in the role she plays but that's a very minor disappointment.

message 34: by Dylan (new)

Dylan (Crainiam) | 3 comments Not looking forward to it. I read a lot of crime fiction and Mr. Mercedes was subpar at best. I tried the sequel next, and while it started off great, I just barely made it through. Also, the Audience Channel is a horrible producer of TV Shows. Everything I've seen from them has been utter crap. So this just seems doomed to fail :(

message 35: by Nick (new)

Nick Iuppa | 2918 comments Dylan wrote: "Not looking forward to it. I read a lot of crime fiction and Mr. Mercedes was subpar at best. I tried the sequel next, and while it started off great, I just barely made it through. Also, the Audie..."

David E Kelly is a great producer. Not sure he has ever done anything for the Audience Channel before. In fact, I never even heard of them until this show showed up.

message 36: by Casey (new)

Casey So far I'm loving the series! I look forward to it every week. I think it's been staying pretty true to the book which I appreciate. It's a really high quality show too, doesn't look low budget which definitely makes it better to watch.

message 37: by Linda (new)

Linda | 1 comments I love the new series. The plot follows the book well and the actors they chose are phenomenal! Really look forward to Wednesdays and Mr. Mercedes!

message 38: by Deyth (new)

Deyth Banger (DeYtH_Banger) | 58 comments I like the TV Series it helped me with imagine how everything happen... but somehow what I see in the TV Series and what I see in the book are two different dimensions... So far as I remember in the book "Suicide" - was stopped by the killer in the TV Series it has been tolerated.

message 39: by Kenneth (new)

Kenneth Tocyloski | 532 comments Okay, so the family and I finally started watching Mr. Mercedes and I am happy for our DirecTV with DVR, which we all have enjoyed so far. So far. I consider this series good, and is faithful to the book. I do enjoy the casting, and I feel that the characterization is spot on with the book. The Mercedes Trilogy in written form was in my humble opinion a very fine detective story with a Stephen King twist. Big Stephen did an awesome job in capturing what it is like to retire from a job that you really didn’t want to do, but was kind of forced into and you still have it in you to solve the crime of the century with a little help from your friends. I do hope with a successful series, they bring in the other two books before concluding the show.

Jen from Quebec :0) (MuppetBaby99) | 36 comments LOVED Mr.M (Although, it took me three tries to REALLY 'get into it').
QUESTIONS FOR THOSE WATCHING THE SHOW:
Has Brady's....later *condition* or *mindset* been hinted at or revealed? Did they do good jobs in casting Bill's sidekicks? Do you think the show will go through with the concert incident from the book despite/with what has recently happened at the London concert bombing IRL? I mean, the show HAS to do this part of the story-- it's the climax of the 1st book! Are any of you watching that have NOT read the book? If so- how is it simply as a TV series, without any book backstory to fill in gaps? Has Brady's mother been cast well, for what we know she will do + become later on in the story? Has Brady's brother been included in the show??
THANKS SO MUCH IF ANYONE CAN ANSWER ANY OF THESE, MUCH APPRECIATED! --Jen from Quebec :0)

message 41: by Nick (new)

Nick Iuppa | 2918 comments Jennifer Lynn wrote: "LOVED Mr.M (Although, it took me three tries to REALLY 'get into it').
QUESTIONS FOR THOSE WATCHING THE SHOW:
Has Brady's....later *condition* or *mindset* been hinted at or revealed? Did they do g..."

I love the series. Not sure I can answer all your questions but, I'll try a few. I think Brady's condition is even clearer in the show than in the book. I think it's doing a great job of portraying his complexity. I like Bill's sidekicks. I was a little surprised by Holly, but I think she's growing on me, and I get the sense I'll come to like her. Everyone else is spot on. I think they WILL portray the concert bombing, especially since it didn't actually happen in the book. I like the casting of Brady's mother. It's a better image of her than the one I had in my mind. I don't like the woman especially but I don't think we are supposed to, and in fact, I feel more sympathy for her in the series. I do think they could show a little more about Brady's brother, but the point is certainly made.

message 42: by Enari (new)

Enari Mägi | 7 comments First of all, I'd like to say, that I havent screened through all the comments here yet, so if there is already an answer to my question- forgive me:)
Question is: Does the series include or hint towards the entire triology or just the first book? For I'm still in the process of reading the 3rd(End of watch) and would not like the series to spoil anything that I've yet to learn from the book itself.
Thanks

message 43: by Conal (new)

Conal (ConalO) | 2 comments Enari wrote: "First of all, I'd like to say, that I havent screened through all the comments here yet, so if there is already an answer to my question- forgive me:)
Question is: Does the series include or hint t..."

7 episodes in and we are about halfway through the first book (view spoiler). No mention or even hints of the next two books.

message 44: by Conal (new)

Conal (ConalO) | 2 comments Nick wrote: "I think Brady's condition is even clearer in the show than in the book."

I am assuming you are talking about his crazy evil mindset (which the actor is doing really well) and not the (view spoiler) stuff from the 3rd book (which I have not seen evidence of)?

message 45: by Kandice (new)

Kandice | 3042 comments Matthewcross87 wrote: "I've not seen any either but i thought it would be a season for each book , that's how they did it for true blood"

Season one of True Blood was a pretty good representation of the first book, but then the show deviated a LOT. Same thing with Dexter.

I was ok with that because I loved the books and the show and the deviations to story line on screen just gave me more of Sookie and Dexter's world rather than rehashing what I had already read.

message 46: by Nick (new)

Nick Iuppa | 2918 comments Conal wrote: "Nick wrote: "I think Brady's condition is even clearer in the show than in the book."

I am assuming you are talking about his crazy evil mindset (which the actor is doing really well) and not the ..."

Right, there's no indication of the events and plot twists of the second or third book. But one season per book would be great.

message 47: by Kandice (new)

Kandice | 3042 comments Matthewcross87 wrote: "wow I've only seen the first 2 season and first 2 books the looked spot on put if it changes that sounds pretty bad"

I actually love that they deviate, because like I said, it just means we get twice as much story set in those make-believe worlds!

Robert Kirkman, who writes The Walking Dead comics and show has said that the reason he doesn't just rehash the comics on the screen is "I'm the one making that s*#t up. How boring to just write the exact same thing twice!"

message 48: by Anush (new)

Anush Hariharan | 6 comments [Spoiler Alert]

Hahahahahahahah!! Really, Alastor "Mad-Eye" Moody is Bill Hodges. I never imagined him to be a fat old man Irishman with a beard. When I came across the show, I was enthralled. I couldn't fathom how the relationship between Bill and Janey would look like, until I saw it for myself. I've seen the first six episodes, can't wait to watch the others.

The show has remained loyal to the book to the extent that it's possible. Ida and the KKK dude are additional characters who don't subtract anything from the show.

I have a question for the fans. So far, they have filmed the series up to where the plot is halfway through the book. Do you think they will finish the story is one season, or finish it in two seasons, or continue the series with the plot of Finders Keepers.

Enjoy!

message 49: by Anush (new)

Anush Hariharan | 6 comments Feli wrote: "I am definitely looking forward to it... but I'm afraid I have to wait a loong time... I just was able to watch 11.22.63 a month ago (and it really was expensive) because it is really quite impossi..."

Under the Dome looked really great in the first season. It was produced by Steven Spielberg. Watching the series made me a Stephen King fan. I guess because the first two seasons were good, they wanted to drag on and create a third season, which doomed the series. Nevertheless, the setting and cast were perfect.

message 50: by Nick (new)

Nick Iuppa | 2918 comments Anush wrote: "[Spoiler Alert]

Hahahahahahahah!! Really, Alastor "Mad-Eye" Moody is Bill Hodges. I never imagined him to be a fat old man Irishman with a beard. When I came across the show, I was enthralled. I c..."

I'm hoping they finish the book in the first season. At the pace they're going they should. Finder's Keepers is almost a different story with lots of different characters but I loved the book and hope they continue to do a book a year.

« previous 1