Mystery/Thriller Reading Friends discussion

Monthly "Reads" > Ann's June 2017 Books

Comments (showing 1-11 of 11) (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ann (new)

Ann (AnnRumsey) | 11090 comments Posting my June books read and there were more than I thought. It was a good month. No big fat books this month probably contributed to the count along with the fact that several I finished were started in a previous month and some were fairly short..
Gwendy's Button Box
Since We Fell
Blitzed: Drugs in Nazi Germany
Redshirts
The Masquerading Magician
Glass Predator
Letterman: The Last Giant of Late Night
The Long Drop
Practical Magic

King, Stephen Gwendy's Button Box Audio from audible read 6/1/2017 rank 9 of 10 Deliciously creepy (short novella)

Lehane, Dennis Since We Fell Audio from overdrive read on 6/3/2017 rank 9.5 of 10
Very well written as expected, and almost two books in one; an intriguing look at a search for paternity and family leading to life choices and some extreme shifts. In retrospect considering what motivates us is a theme of the book and defines a reader's curiosity and ability to just jump on the ride and see where it leads. This reader found that ride most satisfying indeed.

Ohler, Norman Blitzed: Drugs in Nazi Germany Audio on overdrive Read on 6/8/2017 rank 9 of 10
Interesting details and fresh interpretations of Third Reich historical medical records; the documented German troop drug use and abuse explains much while Hitler's evil intent and facts of his murderous, relentless and duplicitous pursuit of power through genocide and war remain, becoming even more inconceivable and evil.

Scalzi, John Redshirts Audio from audible Read 6/14/2017 Rank 9.15 of 10
What a fun book, an intriguing puzzle of time, space exploration in the vein of Star Trek (yes, I love Star Trek) A bit campy, full of human emotions, friendship and the always excellent narration of Will Wheaton.

Pandian, Gigi The Masquerading Magician Audio from overdrive Read 6/18/2017 Rank 9 of 10
I love this series and look forward to the next book. Light suspense, quirky characters, historical science and alchemy details and yummy sounding gourmet food make the reading a delightful experience.

Schaefer, Craig Glass Predator (Harmony Black #3) Kindle Read 6/19/2017 rank 9 of 10
A favorite series; I kept putting it aside to read other books but it is quite enjoyable and I am looking forward to the next book this fall.

Zinoman, Jason Letterman: The Last Giant of Late Night Kindle Read 6/22/2017 Rank 9 of 10
I adore David Letterman. This book is interesting and fond memory evoking; a decades long linear recap of behind the scenes emotions and intrigue with insider details and insight.

Mina, Denise The Long Drop Audio from Overdrive Read 6/23/2017 Rank 9.35 of 10
One of our group reads. Very atmospheric, dark tension and courtroom drama in 1950's Glasgow; horrific attacks, archaic attitudes and multiple murders with psychological twists leave a disturbing taste but a satisfying well written read. (fictionalized true crime)

Hoffman, Alice Practical Magic Library audio on a new format which was pretty nice Read 6/26/2017 Rank 9.4 of 10
A perfect summer book, a fun weekend read that, like all Alice Hoffman books left me deeply satisfied. Two sisters, two daughters, two aunts, and a bit of family magic. It was pointed out by a cousin that she wasn't sure she would have liked the movie version of the book had she read it first. They were quite different. I know I liked the movie and was moved by the book so I guess movie first and then book worked out well.

message 2: by Amy (new)

Amy | 1250 comments Good month Ann, lots of books

message 3: by Dan in AZ (new)

Dan in AZ | 2220 comments Two books on magic. Maybe you can learn how to turn someone into a frog.

message 4: by Barry (new)

Barry (BarryPz) | 2491 comments That would be a ribbiting experience,

message 5: by Carol/Bonadie (last edited Jul 03, 2017 11:25AM) (new)

Carol/Bonadie (Bonadie) | 6498 comments < sigh >

message 6: by Carol/Bonadie (new)

Carol/Bonadie (Bonadie) | 6498 comments Great month, Ann. Your reasons for more books echo mine.

I need to read the David Letterman book. I was a big fan once, then got tired of his show, but I never tire of reading about him and the behind-the-scenes of the late night shows.

message 7: by Melodie (new)

Melodie (MelodieCO) | 3185 comments Great month!

message 8: by Susie (new)

Susie Fevella (SusieinKS) | 1335 comments I see a couple that sound pretty good!

message 9: by Ann (new)

Ann (AnnRumsey) | 11090 comments Oh my it would be!
Thanks for the chuckle Dan, Barry and Carol!
Barry wrote: "That would be a ribbiting experience,"

message 10: by Ann (new)

Ann (AnnRumsey) | 11090 comments Carol: I found the Letterman book fascinating and you may see the parallel details to match what was going on with your viewing quite interesting. Full disclosure, it took me two library loan periods to finish it but I was glad I read it. I enjoyed reading about David Letterman's complex relationships with his family, co-workers and his viewers as background to the shows I remembered though it was at times painful to realize.
Carol/Bonadie wrote: "I need to read the David Letterman book. I was a big fan once, then got tired of his show, but I never tire of reading about him and the behind-the-scenes ..."

message 11: by Merrilee in AZ (new)

Merrilee in AZ | 988 comments I just requested the Practical Magic from the library