Kindle English Mystery Book Club discussion

Book Club Selection > July 2017 Group Read - Die of Shame, by Mark Billingham

Comments (showing 1-10 of 10) (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by David (new)

David Gooch | 3448 comments Mod
Die of Shame, by Mark Billingham

"From British thriller master Mark Billingham, a recent finalist for the Crime Writers' Association Dagger in the Library, Die of Shame is a chilling story of addiction, subterfuge, and murder.

Every Monday evening, six people gather in a smart North London house to talk about shame. A respected doctor, a well-heeled housewife, a young male prostitute . . . they could not be more different. All they have in common is a history of addiction. But when one of the group is murdered, it quickly becomes apparent that someone else in that circle is responsible. The investigation is hampered by the strict confidentiality that binds these individuals and their therapist together, which makes things difficult for Detective Inspector Nicola Tanner, a woman who can appreciate the desire to keep personal matters private. If she is to find the killer, she will need to use less obvious means. The question is: What could be shameful enough to cost someone their life? And how do you find the truth when secrets, lies, and denial are second nature to all of your suspects?"

message 2: by David (new)

Ok for those wanting info on the author or his books then his website is at https://markbillingham.com/

message 3: by David (new)

I had a stroke of luck. Was going to buy this on Kindle when my wife pointed out she bought it in paperback a little while back. So I'm reading it in paperback this time and I'm underway.

message 4: by Clare (last edited Jul 10, 2017 06:00PM) (new)

Clare  (ClareBearS) | 63 comments The plot was a bit up and down to me. I did not like the then and now chapters it made the story disjointed, like 2 separate stories. . The plot of this book sounded promising, a victim and their murderer in a recovery group. However the reader was not given a possible motive for the killing until nearly the end of the book. It may have been better to have Heather's 'confession' at the start of the book and weave the suspects around the story. Ultimately I was disappointed that the killer was not caught, it left the story unfinished. I like my books to have a definite beginning, middle and end, I will be interested what other people think.

message 5: by Bill (new)

Bill Kupersmith | 454 comments Mod
I fear I'm DNFing on this one.

message 6: by David (new)

I am about two thirds through and it has not been my easiest read I admit but I am warming to it. As it is my nomination as well I feel duty bound to at least finish it and comment on it.

message 7: by Mary (new)

Mary C | 137 comments I also found it hard going until about 2/3 of the way through, after which it seemed to pick up speed.

Not many likable characters, and I did guess the "who" if not the "why" well before the reveal. To Clare's point about the killer not being caught - I felt like it might be a set up for a sequel. I don't know that I would want to follow up on that.

Having said that, I haven't read Billingham's work before (ANOTHER new author for my list!) but will probably pick up another in the future - I liked the writing style enough to give him another try.

message 8: by David (new)

Ok I have finished it.
For me as ever Billingham writes in a style that reads well, at least for me. This book though did not have enough of the detectives following up on the murder but concentrated a lot on taking you back to the group before the murder and then after for you to see the changes and perhaps notice any clues in that.

message 9: by Beth (new)

Beth Stewart | 310 comments I am taking this book on the plane with me on my quick vacation. But from what I am reading, I would be well advised to bring a back up book.

message 10: by Mary (new)

Mary C | 137 comments And it looks like Magpie Murders might be a good choice (based on the current polling for next month's read!)

Have a good vacation!