Mental Health Bookclub discussion

In a Different Voice: Psychological Theory and Women's Development
This topic is about In a Different Voice
2017 Group Reads - Mental Health > July - In a Different Voice

Comments (showing 1-7 of 7) (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Martha (new)

Martha (MarthaIs) | 512 comments July's read will be In a Different Voice: Psychological Theory and Women's Development by Carol Gilligan

You can rent the book for 14 days using this link or purchase it on Amazon

Ladyfilosopher will be leading the discussion for this book, she will jump in with some questions/areas for discussion here

Enjoy!

message 2: by Ladyfilosopher (last edited Jul 03, 2017 06:12AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ladyfilosopher Hello, fellow MH readers, looking forward to your comments as you dive into this complex and seminal book. It is a juxtaposition of investigations using what in philosophy is called a 'Thought Experiment' in a longitudinal study of children in development, and very real hard decisions that adult women were making regarding abortion, yes or no. Another aspect of this book is learning about a new perspective on the male experience in our dominance-ordered society.
The link to the book that I proposed in Martha's message above requires no payment, just registering for the amazing service digitalised book through InternetArchive. This book has a loan length of 14 days (I have no idea why) .
Happy reading! We will be having a caring exchange on 2 very difficult issues. We are language professionals so I am sure we can find the cleanest way to describe what we are experiencing and thinking. Til later,
Kimble

Ladyfilosopher The month of July is drawing to a close, and so will our discussion group. Any last week chat and comments are welcome.

Ladyfilosopher As July and this month's MH reading draws to a close, I leave those interested a link regarding an #EthicsofCare conference in November, 2017 which aims to talk about how to address the Social impact on Mental Health and illness as well as other injustices our current political system perpetuates. https://www.eventbrite.com/e/caring-d...

message 5: by Martha (new)

Martha (MarthaIs) | 512 comments Thanks Ladyfilosopher, sorry that you didn't get discussion in the thread (story of my life!), but I appreciate you giving it a go and giving us the information :)

Ladyfilosopher Martha wrote: "Thanks Ladyfilosopher, sorry that you didn't get discussion in the thread (story of my life!), but I appreciate you giving it a go and giving us the information :)"

Martha, Ever hopeful!!! I do this, and would do it again, to leave a trace, a track that someone might follow to an important topic.

Yes, I was sad, but LOOK! YOU were listening! That is already more than 0%!!Sad, no longer. If someone asks again for this author, or shows an interest in this book or the topic of Ethics of Care, please help us get together. Mental Health requires a political ethical change to really function
Thank you,
Kimble

message 7: by Martha (new)

Martha (MarthaIs) | 512 comments I absolutely will Kimble!