Catholic Thought discussion

Vision of Fatima > Discussion #6: Chapters 17, 18, 19, 20, Epilogue

Comments (showing 1-14 of 14) (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Manny (new)

Manny (VirMarl) | 1337 comments Mod
Chapter 17: The Miracle of the Sun
Fr. McGlynn interviews two people that were present during the miracle of the sun, draws out commonalities and singularities between them, and tries to come to some conclusions about the event.

Chapter 18: Adeus, Lisboa!
Fr. McGlynn returns to Lisbon in preparation for his departure. He describes the reception of his prototype statue and the importance of Fatima to the Portuguese people.

Chapter 19: Rome
Fr. McGlynn brings the statue to Rome where Pope Pius XII blesses the prototype. He also brings the statue to the Russian seminary in Rome where the group prayed for the conversion of Russia and for the consecration of Russia to our Lady. Fr. McGlynn then departs for home.

Chapter 20: The Spiritual Meaning of Things
Fr. McGlynn goes to Chicago where the first marble version of the statue is made, a five foot statue that will go into the Church of St. Vincent Ferrer in New York City. On the day of its unveiling in NYC, Fr. McGlynn’s mother died. And in fulfilling a promise to Irmã Dores, Fr. McGlynn provides a homily on the spiritual significance of Our Lady appearing in Fatima, her message, and the importance of Mary’s Immaculate Heart.

Epilogue:
Fr. McGlynn tells of Lucy’s (Irmã Dores) move the following year to the Cloister of the Carmelite Order in Coimbra, Potugal.

message 2: by Manny (new)

So as stated in chpater 20, the statue I visited at the Church of St. Vincent Ferrer is the first actual statue made from the prototype! What a privilege to see it! Here was my post again:
http://ashesfromburntroses.blogspot.c...

I haven't forgotten; there will be a part 2 to that post with more pictures. I've just been busy. I will post it sometime this week for sure.

message 3: by Gerri (new)

Gerri Bauer (gerribauer) | 22 comments I watched some of the Catholic Convocation coverage on EWTN this morning, and saw a glimpse of a statue that appeared to be what I now think of as the true Fatima statue, on the stage behind the speaker. I noticed the hand placement and folds of the robe. Couldn't see if there was a crown on the head or not. I like to think it was one based on Lucia/Fr. McGlynn's vision.

On an unrelated note, as I neared the end of the Visions book, I was taken aback by the section that said there wasn't any mention of Fatima in the American press, despite the fact that dispatches were made available to the press. Not sure why I was surprised. There was a fair amount of anti-Catholic sentiment in some areas of the country in the first part of the 20th century.

In closing, I was touched by the letter from Irma Dores to Fr. McGlynn, asking him to stress the spiritual meaning of things. The full quote is wonderful. It's at the beginning of Chapter 20 (Location 2691 in Kindle). It also helped me realize, again, that one of the things I treasure about Visions is how Fr. McGlynn makes Lucia's personality shine. It's as though the reader has met her.

I need to re-read the chapter, too. There's a lot to digest there, and reflect on, about the miracles, devotion, Immaculate Heart, and the saving of souls. I enjoyed reading this book so much, the prospect of returning to it is delightful.

message 4: by Manny (new)

I finally wrote up a part 2 to my posts on the Fr. McGlynn statue. Lots of zoomed in photos and I quoted Fr. McGlynn and Irmã Dores on the creation of the various parts of the statue. I think my post will really add to the reading of the book. I hope you go over to see it:
https://ashesfromburntroses.blogspot....

message 5: by Manny (new)

Loretta wrote: "I am so thrilled and elated that everyone enjoyed this book as much as I did. I also agree with Gerri that I will probably re-read this book again sometime in the future! 😊"

I enjoyed it immensely!

message 6: by Manny (last edited Jul 06, 2017 02:06PM) (new)

Gerri wrote: "I watched some of the Catholic Convocation coverage on EWTN this morning, and saw a glimpse of a statue that appeared to be what I now think of as the true Fatima statue, on the stage behind the sp..."

Gerri, what was the coverage on? Most things on EWTN can be found on youtube. I'll try looking it up.

Edit: I found this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CHHdw...

I think the statue is at the 2:21:06 mark. If that is what you're referring to, then while the hand positions are similar, it is not the Fr. McGlynn statue.

message 7: by Manny (new)

Gerri wrote: "On an unrelated note, as I neared the end of the Visions book, I was taken aback by the section that said there wasn't any mention of Fatima in the American press, despite the fact that dispatches were made available to the press. Not sure why I was surprised. There was a fair amount of anti-Catholic sentiment in some areas of the country in the first part of the 20th century.

In closing, I was touched by the letter from Irma Dores to Fr. McGlynn, asking him to stress the spiritual meaning of things. The full quote is wonderful. It's at the beginning of Chapter 20 (Location 2691 in Kindle). It also helped me realize, again, that one of the things I treasure about Visions is how Fr. McGlynn makes Lucia's personality shine. It's as though the reader has met her. "

Yes, I think we, and perhaps most of the world, did not have an appreciation of the Fatima apparition until much later. I too loved that chapter 20 and i did read it twice.

message 8: by John (new)

John | 146 comments I loved reading this book and want to thank those who selected it. It has helped me realize how much my own devotions to Mary have been lacking. In part I think this relates to a period in my own journey in the late 70s when I had left the church and was involved in an old fashioned evangelical church that was staunchly anti-Catholic. The things I didn't know.

Thank you.

message 9: by Lisa (new)

Lisa | 105 comments I very much enjoyed reading this book and learning more about Fatima. Thank you, Manny, for leading the discussion and for sharing the beautiful pictures of the statue at St. Vincent. Truly amazing how this vision became a reality!

message 10: by Gerri (new)

Gerri Bauer (gerribauer) | 22 comments I'm so glad that so many enjoyed the book, too!

John, I was a lapsed Catholic for all my young adult years after having a religious upbringing. I realized in hindsight that the Church's teachings guided me through life the entire 'away' time! I was never really gone. But I thought I was too 'in the know' to need organized religion. Yet always publicly identified myself as Catholic. Go figure. With age truly does come at least some wisdom. My return to active church participation years ago has only deepened with time and has given me a stronger appreciation for Catholicism.

The Catholic Convocation videos seem to be gone from the EWTN channel on YouTube, but I found them all on the website of the U.S. Conference of Catholic Bishops: http://www.usccb.org/issues-and-actio...

Manny, thanks for Part 2 of your post! I can't wait to spend sometime reading through and looking at the photos. Which I'm doing as soon as I post this.

message 11: by Kerstin (new)

Kerstin | 432 comments Mod
What I take away from this book is how much God is with us each and every day. The miracles of the sun and the doves really brought this to light in a tangible way. I love this about Catholicism, that we experience our faith with all our senses, with everything who we are, body and soul.

message 12: by John (new)

John | 146 comments Kerstin wrote: "What I take away from this book is how much God is with us each and every day. The miracles of the sun and the doves really brought this to light in a tangible way. I love this about Catholicism, t..."

Amen.

message 13: by Mike (new)

Mike I am very glad that this book was selected for our group read and that Manny lead this discussion; you added a great deal to the discussion -- Thank You.

I have renewed my devotion to the rosary and that is a wonderful take away; I am very happy about that. Too often I get wrapped up in secular issues and forget about the basics.

message 14: by Manny (new)

Thank you Mike, and to all who complimented me. It was fun.