Play Book Tag discussion

Still Life (Chief Inspector Armand Gamache, #1)
This topic is about Still Life
July 2017: Award Winners > Still Life by Louise Penny 3 stars

Comments (showing 1-9 of 9) (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Rachel N. | 720 comments This book won the Anthony Award for best first novel in 2007. Jane Neal is found dead in the woods of Three Pines, shot by an arrow. Inspector Gamache is assigned to the case though he's not sure if the death was an accident or murder. This is the first book in a series. I read the fifth book in the series awhile ago and everyone said I should have started with the first book so I decided to give it a try. I found the plot to be very slow moving. Like the other book in the series I read the book seems to be more about character studies than the mystery. I prefer more about the investigation in my mystery stories so I don't think I'll continue on with the series.

I don't think this book deserved to win the award because it really isn't an in depth mystery. I would have given it an award for best in depth character study in a small town.

message 2: by Jgrace (new) - added it

Jgrace | 1334 comments I own this one and I've wanted to read this series for a long time. I didn't know it was a award winner. Maybe this will be the month that I get to it . Thanks!

message 3: by Booknblues (new) - added it

Booknblues | 1795 comments Ditto, for me Judith. I've wanted to read this series and I have the first book on kindle, so I may read this one for the award since I have been so undecided about what to read.

Anita Pomerantz | 4831 comments Rachel wrote: "This book won the Anthony Award for best first novel in 2007. Jane Neal is found dead in the woods of Three Pines, shot by an arrow. Inspector Gamache is assigned to the case though he's not sure i..."

I'm with you, Rachel. I know people love, love this series, but I read the first book also, and somehow it never compelled me to pick up the next one. And I like character studies too! My memory is hazy, and I don't think I reviewed this one here, but I think I enjoyed it while I read it, but not enough to keep going.

Anita Pomerantz | 4831 comments I just checked. I don't have a review here, but I did rate it three stars also.

message 6: by JoLene (new) - added it

JoLene (trvl2mtns) | 1577 comments From what I heard, the series picks up a lot in 3rd book. The first two weren't great......I haven't read any, but have heard lots of people rave about this series.

message 7: by LibraryCin (last edited Jul 16, 2017 09:38AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

LibraryCin | 3943 comments Yup, a lot of people love this series, but I think it was merely "ok" for me, as well. I have also read 5 or 6 in the series, and it I gave it 3 (ok) or 3.5 (good) stars for it, as well. I hate reading series out of order, but someone chose it for me f2f book club, and already having read the first one, I wasn't going to read what was in between!

She's Canadian, too. I hate when I dislike a book by a Canadian author, especially now that I write reviews! It's so much better when I can like it and promote it in my review!

Sushicat | 724 comments I read it last month and gave it a 3.6. Not so much for the mystery but for the characters and setting.

Barbara M (Barbara-M) | 1026 comments JoLene wrote: "From what I heard, the series picks up a lot in 3rd book. The first two weren't great......I haven't read any, but have heard lots of people rave about this series."

There was an excellent interview with Ms. Penny on Good Morning America recently (last week?). Made me want to pick up the next in the series. I read the first one, but didn't go further. My mother absolutely loves Penny and has read all her books.