Nominations & Polls > August 2017 Nominations

Comments (showing 1-34 of 34) (34 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kaycie (new)

Kaycie | 454 comments Mod
This month's nominations are for the categories:
State of the Nation
Comedy

What does everyone want to read this month? Nominate away!

message 2: by Bryan (new)

Bryan (TheindefatigableBertMcGuinn) | 158 comments Some of the comedy selections don't seem very comedic. Maybe it's comedy in the classic sense they were going for.

State of the Nation nomination: They Were Counted by Miklós Bánffy

Comedy nomination: The Castle by Franz Kafka

Both of these have been on my TBR mountain for a loooong time.

message 3: by Leslie (new)

Leslie | 555 comments Bryan wrote: "Some of the comedy selections don't seem very comedic. Maybe it's comedy in the classic sense they were going for.
..."

I too find some of the comedy selections not so funny but I think that is due to the fact that different people find different things humorous. For example, I think that Wodehouse is hilarious but I have friends who don't think his books are funny at all.

I am going to nominate The Luck of Barry Lyndon by Thackeray for comedy as I found his Vanity Fair wonderful.

For State of the Nation, nothing particularly appeals to me at the moment but I have This Sporting Life by David Storey on my Kindle already so I will nominate that.

message 4: by Christopher (new)

Christopher (Donut) | 97 comments Well, I think you might think Wodehouse is not funny, or unfunny, but still admit he is a comedic writer. Barry Lyndon is a different kettle of fish (I haven't read it).

If Kafka's CASTLE is in the same category, then I second that nomination.

message 5: by Bryan (last edited Jul 02, 2017 08:58AM) (new)

Bryan (TheindefatigableBertMcGuinn) | 158 comments Christopher wrote: "Well, I think you might think Wodehouse is not funny, or unfunny, but still admit he is a comedic writer. Barry Lyndon is a different kettle of fish (I haven't read it).

If Kafka's CASTLE is in th..."

In another of this group's threads, some kind person here has listed all the selections for each category with a line drawn through the selections the group has already read. Otherwise I'd never have thought of Kafka as a comedy, even though I did think that there were sections of the trial that were so absurd they were humorous.

message 6: by Dennis (new)

Dennis Fischman (dfischman) | 87 comments In which thread will I find that?

message 7: by Bryan (last edited Jul 02, 2017 07:11PM) (new)

Bryan (TheindefatigableBertMcGuinn) | 158 comments https://www.goodreads.com/topic/group...

That link will take you to the page with all the different categories broken into separate threads, and all the books pertaining to that category listed in the thread.

Or, you can go up to near the top of this page, on the right hand side, click on discussions, and then scroll down on that page till you get to the discussion folder "List indicating read books", and click on whichever category you'd like to look at.

Hope that wasn't too confusing

message 8: by Christopher (new)

Christopher (Donut) | 97 comments Thanks Bryan, that's very helpful.

I noticed Mr. Norris Changes Trains is in "comedy," and Goodbye to Berlin is in State of the Nation.

I don't know about the UK, in the US these are sold as one book:

The Berlin Stories: The Last of Mr Norris/Goodbye to Berlin

That's my DOUBLE nomination: two categories, one book.

message 9: by Bilwa (last edited Jul 03, 2017 12:25AM) (new)

Bilwa Nominations :-) (making up for missing the earlier ones)

Comedy
The Life and Opinions of Tristram Shandy, Gentleman by Laurence Sterne OR;
Diary of a Nobody by George Grossmith

State of the nation
Midnight's Children by Salman Rushdie OR;
Animal Farm by George Orwell

message 10: by Darren (last edited Jul 03, 2017 08:28AM) (new)

Darren (dazburns) | 242 comments Mod
I'd be happy with Mr Norris or The Castle for Comedy

They Were Counted is awesome (I read it earlier this year and would join in discussion)

(think we've already had Animal Farm btw)

I nominate for State of the Nation: David Malouf's Remembering Babylon
Remembering Babylon by David Malouf

message 11: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) Loved Midnight's Children and I second The Diary of a Nobody. I've wanted to read it since I listened to an episode of a serial based on it on BBC Radio 4.

message 12: by Bilwa (new)

Bilwa Darren wrote: "I'd be happy with Mr Norris or The Castle for Comedy

They Were Counted is awesome (I read it earlier this year and would join in discussion)

(think we've already had Animal Farm btw)

I nominate ..."

Yes, Animal Farm's a popular choice so not surprised that it's been read. Remembering Babylon looks very interesting, I'd read that.

message 13: by Bilwa (last edited Jul 03, 2017 12:23PM) (new)

Bilwa Kirsten *Make Margaret Atwood Fiction Again!" wrote: "Loved Midnight's Children and I second The Diary of a Nobody. I've wanted to read it since I listened to an episode of a serial based on it on BBC Radio 4."

Thanks for the vote. Midnight's Children and Diary of a Nobody have been on my TBR's for a while now. It will be interesting to see which ones get picked for August, some honourable mentions are out there.

message 14: by Dennis (new)

Dennis Fischman (dfischman) | 87 comments I nominate Babbitt, by Sinclair Lewis, for State of the Nation, and The Pickwick Papers, by Charles Dickens, for Comedy.

And haven't we already read The Diary of a Nobody? I could have sworn we had.

message 15: by Bilwa (last edited Jul 03, 2017 03:37PM) (new)

Bilwa Hmm, here are revised nominations as the earlier ones were read/nominated in 2016 and 2017.
Comedy - The Uncommon Reader by Alan Bennett
State of the nation - Midnight's Children by Salman Rushdie OR Remembering Babylon (second that)

message 16: by Kaycie (new)

Wow, the nomination threads are never this active! Thanks, guys, for finding the already read books and for correcting the nominations without me even having to comment!

Dennis - I just bought a hardback, used copy of Pickwick Papers with words underlined and translated into French! It will be a fun read, so I'd love to have that one on our list!

Lastly - just a comment on the threads with the books crossed out...the old moderator, Lisa, made those and stepped down, and I now can no longer edit her posts in order to update them...so they are updated through about a year ago or so. I planned on making new threads, but haven't gotten around to it...such is life!

message 17: by Darren (new)

Darren (dazburns) | 242 comments Mod
Bilwa - we've already had Uncommon Reader too! - do you want to try for 4th time lucky!? ;o)

message 18: by Bilwa (new)

Bilwa Darren wrote: "Bilwa - we've already had Uncommon Reader too! - do you want to try for 4th time lucky!? ;o)"

Hahaha! Goodness! I second Pickwick Papers :-)

message 19: by Bryan (new)

Bryan (TheindefatigableBertMcGuinn) | 158 comments When do nominations close and the poll start?

message 20: by Kaycie (new)

Hi guys!
Phew - thats a lot of nominations! Polls are up and ready to vote - I hope we have this much participation in the monthly group reads!

Bilwa - I didn't add Midnight's Children to the poll because we have SO many options for once, and you also seconded Remembering Babylon. If you want MC added, though, just let me know and I'll update it!

message 21: by Bilwa (new)

Bilwa Kaycie, thanks. Let's reserve Midnight's Children for the next round of nominations. I'll go with Remembering Babylon this time.

message 22: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) Bilwa wrote: "Hmm, here are revised nominations as the earlier ones were read/nominated in 2016 and 2017.
Comedy - The Uncommon Reader by Alan Bennett
State of the nation - Midnight's Children by Salman Rushdie..."

Loved THE UNCOMMON READER! Would love to think the Queen would do something like that.

message 23: by Kaycie (new)

Ok guys, who wants to read this month and didn't vote? We have a tie to break!

message 24: by Bilwa (new)

Bilwa Bilwa wrote: "Kirsten *Make Margaret Atwood Fiction Again!" wrote: "Loved Midnight's Children and I second The Diary of a Nobody. I've wanted to read it since I listened to an episode ..."

Kristen - MC, Diary of a Nobody and The uncommon reader are all on my reading list this year. Thank a mil for the vote :)

message 25: by Bilwa (new)

Bilwa Just curious about the polls - Can I read a book which does not get voted the most each month? e.g. Remembering Babylon and Pickwick Papers. Does this approach conflict with the reading group interests?

message 26: by Kaycie (new)

On your own, you mean? Certainly! If other group members want to join you, we can also set up a buddy read thread for you!

message 27: by Bilwa (new)

Bilwa Ok understood. Won't be needing a second thread right now but it's good to know that such a thing is around to explore. Thank you Kaycie

message 28: by Christopher (new)

Christopher (Donut) | 97 comments Bilwa wrote: "Just curious about the polls - Can I read a book which does not get voted the most each month? e.g. Remembering Babylon and Pickwick Papers. Does this approach conflict with the reading group inter..."

But it looks like Pickwick Papers won for August.

message 29: by Bilwa (new)

Bilwa Christopher wrote: "Bilwa wrote: "Just curious about the polls - Can I read a book which does not get voted the most each month? e.g. Remembering Babylon and Pickwick Papers. Does this approach conflict with the readi..."

Yes, saw the polls for Pickwick Papers, so will be participating on that one.

message 30: by Leslie (new)

Leslie | 555 comments Christopher wrote: "But it looks like Pickwick Papers won for August..."

Yay! I have already started this :)

message 31: by Bryan (new)

Bryan (TheindefatigableBertMcGuinn) | 158 comments I see that The Pickwick Papers has 57 chapters, so I thought I'd try reading a couple a day, which will spread it out over the length of August. Finished the first two this morning--Took a few minutes to get into it, but the second chapter was pretty humorous.

message 32: by Christopher (new)

Christopher (Donut) | 97 comments Bryan wrote: "I see that The Pickwick Papers has 57 chapters, so I thought I'd try reading a couple a day, which will spread it out over the length of August. Finished the first two this morning--Took a few minu..."

Is someone supposed to set up threads for the August reads?

message 33: by Kaycie (new)

That would be me! We had a long weekend here, so I'm a bit behind...setting up now, though, so enjoy!

message 34: by Bryan (new)

Bryan (TheindefatigableBertMcGuinn) | 158 comments Kaycie wrote: "That would be me! We had a long weekend here, so I'm a bit behind...setting up now, though, so enjoy!"

Thanks Kaycie